Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Pal said:

Not if it's mostly for salary relief.

Ugh please tell me it's not just a pure salary dump?

I thought JR OK'd 10D signing without a corresponding salary dump, wtf?

If they need salary relief send off Kelly or someone not as valuable. 

LH should fetch a real return that meaningfully addresses needs.

This organization is such garbage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Abso-freaking-lutely. Go look at the box score for that Red Sox/Astros series. I bet you can pick the games out.

It was claimed the Yanks had livelier balls at their home games. Maybe for Judge? 

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Well if it's for salary relief why the heck is McCann being included in these discussions? 

That eliminates the salary relief right there. 

Maybe assumption is the Mets give the Sox money in the deal.  Not sure how that works for the Mets and luxury tax purposes.

10 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

sounds like a disaster.  So we don't get any good prospects, and trade the best player in the deal, and take on 2 bad contracts that may be worse than the one we gave up?

And people will continue to say this makes sense somehow

You should absolutely get a really good prospect back in a "salary dump" still for Hendriks. Baty is a reasonable ask for Hendriks alone. Many top closers have gone for far more than a Bret Baty type prospect (1/2 year of chapman for #3 prospect Torres), (Diaz for Kelenic) I'm sure theres more but those 2 are off the top of my head.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

I'm scared

Yep between this report and Pal saying it's basically just a salary dump this is really bad. 

I guess they have to pay the piper on the 10D signing after all. 

At least get something halfway decent out of it and by halfway decent I don't mean McCann.

LH for Guillorme. You get a useful cheap high OBP vs RHP LH bat with legit great D at 2B and you get JRs prized "salary relief"

It's NOT a good deal at all in the abstract BUT its better than the crap that writer was talking about. 

I find it hard to believe they have this robust market for LH and yet they would be forced to accept an inferior offer just so long as it included salary relief.

How bout trade LH for legit return and move Kelly for salary relief. Yes, it's doubly bad for the BP but at least we aren't giving away a stud closer for free.

FML

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Well if it's for salary relief why the heck is McCann being included in these discussions? 

That eliminates the salary relief right there. 

That’s why I proposed that three team trade. It was the only way I could figure out a way to give salary relief to the Mets and the Sox. 

34 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Mauricio isn't a good prospect in a Hendriks trade.. His star has faded quite a bit

He’s 21, hit 26 HR’s in his 1st full AA season, and most scouting reports give him a pretty good shot of staying at SS, at worst 3B. And also just won winter league MVP. What about his star do you think has “faded quite a bit”? Not saying I love Mauricio or that he’s close to equal value to Liam, but I sure wouldn’t mind getting him back in a trade. Liam and Leury for McCann, Escobar, Mauricio and another Mets prospect not named Baty, Alvarez, or Parada makes a lot of sense in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yep between this report and Pal saying it's basically just a salary dump this is really bad. 

I guess they have to pay the piper on the 10D signing after all. 

At least get something halfway decent out of it and by halfway decent I don't mean McCann.

LH for Guillorme. You get a useful cheap high OBP vs RHP LH bat with legit great D at 2B and you get JRs prized "salary relief"

It's NOT a good deal at all in the abstract BUT its better than the crap that writer was talking about. 

I find it hard to believe they have this robust market for LH and yet they would be forced to accept an inferior offer just so long as it included salary relief.

How bout trade LH for legit return and move Kelly for salary relief. Yes, it's doubly bad for the BP but at least we aren't giving away a stud closer for free.

FML

We all kinda knew it was coming, but once again we wanted to believe they wouldn't be dumb and cheap.  Welp, here we are again on the cusp.

• Fire 1
  • TLR 2

32 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How about something like this:

Mets get: Hendriks (and they save $8M)

White Sox get:  McCann, Escobar, Dylan Smith or another random Tigers pitching prospect (and they save $10M)

Tigers get:  Grandal, Baty (and take on $18M). 

This is a first attempt. Let me know why it sucks (because it probably does) and we can adjust it accordingly. 

This would be a really poor trade for the White Sox. Hendricks value has increased in the current FA period and the Sox do not have to trade him unless the return makes sense. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Ugh please tell me it's not just a pure salary dump?

I thought JR OK'd 10D signing without a corresponding salary dump, wtf?

If they need salary relief send off Kelly or someone not as valuable. 

LH should fetch a real return that meaningfully addresses needs.

This organization is such garbage.

This was reported by Bruce Levine.

Jerry Reinsdorf could be holding one of Rick Hahn's kids hostage until he cuts the payroll and Hahn would have still told Levine "Of course we don't need to cut payroll to afford Benintendi". You can't publicly go out and say "Of course we need to cut payroll now".

30 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

How about something like this:

Mets get: Hendriks (and they save $8M)

White Sox get:  McCann, Escobar, Dylan Smith or another random Tigers pitching prospect (and they save $10M)

Tigers get:  Grandal, Baty (and take on $18M). 

This is a first attempt. Let me know why it sucks (because it probably does) and we can adjust it accordingly. 

Quite the coup for the Tigers
How about the Mets get Hendriks and the Sox get Batty.  
Adding declining veterans (Escobar), especially those who are already terrible (McCann), just makes things worse.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That’s why I proposed that three team trade. It was the only way I could figure out a way to give salary relief to the Mets and the Sox. 

I know but the optics of the Sox trading LH for salary relief and allowing in the same transaction an ALC rival to get a young left handed savage is a non starter. 

They couldn't show their faces in public after that not that they can now anyway.

• Like 1