Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He makes sense for Baltimore at basically $2.5 million a year. He'll probably play less than he did with the White Sox, but that is probably good for him. He was always a back up at best.

Yeah - this was a good move at that rate and about what McCann is worth after past few seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Weird McCann would have the Sox on a five team no trade list. I say that because he had his best seasons there. 

This was what I expected - basically a bunch of money headed to Orioles and presumably the PTBNL is a nobody. 

For the record, it COULD be personal, but a NTC is also typically used by players to block the most likely teams they would be traded to in an effort to extract something extra to approve a trade, such as exercising an option, or promising another clause in a deal, etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For the record, it COULD be personal, but a NTC is also typically used by players to block the most likely teams they would be traded to in an effort to extract something extra to approve a trade, such as exercising an option, or promising another clause in a deal, etc.

I think this is much more likely.  Or perhaps McCann was just jaded at the time he made the NTC.  Some reset annually, but if he had to make his when he signed, the Sox had just signed Grandal a couple weeks earlier and if McCann wanted to return he was likely pretty salty about it.  

In any event, who really cares what McCann thinks.  The entire coaching staff is completely different than it was when McCann was here, and of course over the past 2 years.  I don't think players are making these kinds of decisions based on the FO personnel or ownership. 

12 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Music to my ears. Trading your closer after you just signed Benitendi makes no sense. No more retooling/rebuilding or talk of trading studs like Hendricks for "prospects". Those days are over. The time for Sox to win is now! 

What if you could trade Hendriks to the Jays for Jansen & Pearson and then use the $10M in savings for Duvall and other things?  To me, that would likely make the team stronger overall.  And don’t get me wrong, Hendriks is a beast, but the dude’s arm could blow up any minute and I think we have other options that can be capable in that role.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t think so. When Bob tweets Sox related things he is usually right.

And Bob is basically implying the org’s message is “bring us a serious offer or get the f*** out of here.”  I think he’s gone if he can land us a quality piece that can help us in 2023 while also freeing up salary space for other needs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What if you could trade Hendriks to the Jays for Jansen & Pearson and then use the $10M in savings for Duvall and other things?  To me, that would likely make the team stronger overall.  And don’t get me wrong, Hendriks is a beast, but the dude’s arm could blow up any minute and I think we have other options that can be capable in that role.

Yeah use the money saved towards a 4th OF and another middle reliever.

26 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Music to my ears. Trading your closer after you just signed Benitendi makes no sense. No more retooling/rebuilding or talk of trading studs like Hendricks for "prospects". Those days are over. The time for Sox to win is now! 

I hate to break it to everyone but it makes sense if you have to lower your payroll.

And it is a reactive move.

Just because old Bruce Levine said we are good where the payroll is... doesn't mean we are.

Still have the second most expensive bullpen in the league (and league history?) I think either Hendriks or Kelly goes before Opening Day.  

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Why the Christmas deadline?  If Hahn is trying to get the best package, he might wait until late January or into February.  If teams start to think they really are keeping him, they might offer something more.

Because part of the allure of moving Liam is taking advantage of the salary relief it provides and free agents aren’t waiting around forever.  I also think the trade market is starting to pick up and Hendriks is one of the most desirable assets available.  Just feels like a pre-Christmas trade will happen, but obviously just me speculating there.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I'd HATE most blue jays trade with Jansen as the main (only).  BUT, a Jansen plus Biggio plus duvall plus Alex Reyes (name your 3 million reliever), would be much more beneficial imo than just Hendriks. All theoretical names obviously, but you absolutely could improve the team by dealing him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

4th OF, bullpen (I like a cheap Alex Reyes deal), or even a 2B like Segura.  Got to get an impactful piece for him that can help in 2023 and ideally a live arm with options that can potentially help offset the loss in the bullpen.  I think Pearson has a legit shot at being a high leverage reliever so when combined with a guy like Jansen I think you have to consider it, especially if helps in other areas.