Lance Lynn to pitch for Team USA in WBC

maxjusttyped

The embarrassment of riches that is Team USA's World Baseball Classic roster just got a few more additions. On Wednesday, starting pitchers Nathan Eovaldi and Lance Lynn committed to the team for this spring's tournament. 

Eovaldi, the hero of the 2018 World Series for the Red Sox and currently a free agent, battled injuries last year en route to a 6-3 record with a 3.87 ERA across 20 starts. The right-hander has been one of the game's best at limiting free passes, holding the opposition to a second best in baseball 1.64 BB/9 since 2020 (min. 300 IP). 

Lynn, who has three top-6 Cy Young Award finishes since 2019, returned from knee surgery in June and posted a 3.99 ERA in 121 2/3 IP last season. The White Sox starter is one of the most durable hurlers when healthy, though: From 2019-21, Lynn's 449 1/3 IP were fifth among all Major League starters.

Rosters won't be finalized until later this winter, but here is how Team USA's roster currently looks: 

😄 J.T. Realmuto, Will Smith
1B: Pete Alonso, Paul Goldschmidt
2B: Trevor Story
SS: Tim Anderson, Bobby Witt Jr. 
3B: Nolan Arenado
OF: Mookie Betts, Cedric Mullins, Mike Trout, Kyle Tucker
SP: Nestor Cortes, Nathan Eovaldi, Kyle Freeland, Merrill Kelly, Lance Lynn, Miles Mikolas, Brady Singer, Adam Wainwright, Logan Webb
RP: Daniel Bard, David Bednar, Nick Martinez, Ryan Pressly, Dillon Tate, Devin Williams

Team USA will begin its title defense on March 11 in Phoenix, taking on Mexico, Colombia, Canada and Great Britain in Pool C.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So we have Eloy, Moncada, Robert, Anderson, and Lynn? I'm not a fan of so many key guys going into this thing. You'd thing with a new manager in a make-or-break year these guys would want to remain with the team.

Look at it this way, so many Sox players on this team could encourage you to have an interest in the WBC this year, and that will give you the opportunity to root for them in a situation where they actually have a chance to win a championship!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

So we have Eloy, Moncada, Robert, Anderson, and Lynn? I'm not a fan of so many key guys going into this thing. You'd thing with a new manager in a make-or-break year these guys would want to remain with the team.

Oh goodie, they all start the season on the DL.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They don’t care about this team, why should we?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rounding_Third said:

Oh goodie, they all start the season on the DL.

This was my thought.  These guys get hurt running and throwing, so why is the team ok with such fragile players risking injury in the WBC?  

On the other hand, though, maybe they will be more ready at the beginning of the year having played some competitive baseball prior to opening day as opposed to the coddling they get during spring training (at least as things have been run in recent years - Grifol might change that) and they actually win more than they lose in April and May so we don't have to hear about how the season is long and championships aren't won in April or May, blah blah.

16 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It's a good thing they're away from our training staff and with someone else's. No coincidence two of the Sox better players last year in Cueto and Andrus didn't have spring training with the Sox. I'm only half serious when I right all that, but really don't mind them being away.