2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why are the Bills and Dolphins starters all playing? Home field? 

Yes. The winner get the division title and 2 seed. Loser gets 6 seed

Edited by ptatc

12 minutes ago, The Beast said:

How do we already know that?

Milroe is a Fields clone.

Sh.Sanders got destroyed by his Oline but hard to get a real read and then you have his dad involved in both good and bad ways.

Allar from PSU isn't or hasn't been impressive compared to the physical tools.

Ewers?  Mixed bag.  Will probably transfer but could go pro.

McCarthy would be tops but he could stay if Michigan loses...maybe.  Feels like 50/50 and depends on Harbaugh as well, likely Sherrone would take over and he's quite popular with team.

Dillon Gabriel is a great college guy but limited for pros.

I’ve never seen a bigger mid season transformation than what Jordan Love did this season. First half of the season he looked like garbage, second half of the season he looked like the league MVP. Wild turnaround. Curious to see how he does against a cowboys team that’s really really good at home.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The best way to have sustained success is to have a QB who makes everyone else around them better and can win games on his own. This is not Fields. 

So you draft Williams. When is he expected to be elite and who do the Bears draft with their second first round pick?

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bears
Washington 
New England
Arizona 
LA Chargers
NY Giants 
Titans 
falcons 
bears
Jets 

finalized Top ten draft order.  So you have Bears commanders New England giants titans falcons that could all conceivably draft a QB and most are likely 

I was hoping for a scenario where the Bears trade down and draft Jayden Daniels or Penix Jr., but I don’t believe it would be worth the risk to slide below #3 and expect them to be available. We need to decide among Penix Jr./Daniels/Williams/Maye who is the one.  Good luck Bears! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Is it fair to say that if the Bears draft Williams or Maye, that fans should expect them to be elite by the end of the first year or second, especially with how Williams has been billed as generational?

Everyone has a different definition of "elite" but if you're asking if they should expect them to be better than 2023/2024 Justin Fields by the end of their second year in the NFL? Then yes, and that isn't an unrealistic expectation at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, The Beast said:

So you draft Williams. When is he expected to be elite and who do the Bears draft with their second first round pick?

I don't follow college football enough to say who it is or if there is one. If they think there is one they need to take him. 

He doesn't need to be elite right away but he needs to be good next year. 

The second pick needs to be a lineman on either side of the ball. I would go OL if there is one worth their grade. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Here is a list of NFL QB's that are better than Justin Fields, in alphabetical order: 

Josh Allen

Jared Goff

Jalen Hurts

Lamar Jackson 

Jordan Love

Patrick Mahomes

Kyler Murray 

Dak Prescott 

Brock Purdy 

Matthew Stafford 

CJ Stroud 

Tua Tagovailoa 

Russell Wilson 

I didn't include guys like Cousins, Rodgers, Trevor Lawrence, Derek Carr, but could have. 

Including those names, that's over half the league. It's time to think bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I don't follow college football enough to say who it is or if there is one. If they think there is one they need to take him. 

He doesn't need to be elite right away but he needs to be good next year. 

The second pick needs to be a lineman on either side of the ball. I would go OL if there is one worth their grade. 

Luckily, outside of an unexpected draft trade, one of two highly ranked OL (Alt, Olu) should be available at #9

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Luckily, outside of an unexpected draft trade, one of two highly ranked OL (Alt, Olu) should be available at #9

That would be where I would go. Need to see what their board looks like. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

Everyone has a different definition of "elite" but if you're asking if they should expect them to be better than 2023/2024 Justin Fields by the end of their second year in the NFL? Then yes, and that isn't an unrealistic expectation at all. 

I’m basically asking if Williams should be elite, or put up Mahomes-esque numbers by the end of the first or second year in the NFL. I want to know what Bears fans expect if they draft Williams. I would expect playoffs at a minimum if they went that route.

44 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’ve never seen a bigger mid season transformation than what Jordan Love did this season. First half of the season he looked like garbage, second half of the season he looked like the league MVP. Wild turnaround. Curious to see how he does against a cowboys team that’s really really good at home.

So how does GB keep getting it right? They just lucked in Favre, Rodgers and Love? There’s obviously something they’ve perfected in their evaluations. And i do not believe the “sitting behind another QB learning the craft” nonsense they also bring up with Mahomes and Alex Smith. 

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I’m basically asking if Williams should be elite, or put up Mahomes-esque numbers by the end of the first or second year in the NFL. I want to know what Bears fans expect if they draft Williams. I would expect playoffs at a minimum if they went that route.

I would expect playoffs at a minimum as well. But that would have been the same standard if Fields returned. The difference here is we’re hopefully drafting a QB with the floor of outperforming Fields, and a ceiling of becoming a generational talent. All at a much cheaper cost. 

• Thanks 1

Best case if the Bears want to drop back is to have New England or Washington jump up to number 1 to get their guy.  Obviously, that's if they are sticking with Fields.  That way they can still draft Harrison, since there is no way he falls past Arizona.  That said, Harbaugh would look real nice on the sideline next year though. 

6 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s amazing to me that beating up on scrubs is going to keep him around 

Eberloser is 10-24 over the last two years as the Bears coach.

Fields’ record as the Bears starting QB is even worse at 10-28.

Both are 0-4 against the Packers over the last two seasons.

I can’t believe there is even a question of bringing either one back.

Let the Falcons try to get something out of Fields.  I can’t watch his garbage up-and-down play anymore and I’m surprised anyone would want to give him the $25 million dollar option for next year.  Talk about money down the drain.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Not that I think he's a top guy, but Fields didn't have the time to make plays that Love did.  Got whupped both sides of the ball.  Still, can't say he hasn't improved, but three seasons is a long time.  You decide what they should do.   I'm too old to worry about it.

Anyhoo, saw some great young QB's today, but our guy isn't one of them.

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Smith got fired in Atlanta. I wonder what that might mean for Fields' trade value.

Seems too obvious.

Seattle is another unsettled position now with Geno Smith and the way the season ended up disappointingly to so many frustrated fans there.

TB stabilized under Mayfield, who has certainly earned another year down there.

Arizona decision process on Kyler Murray can end up going either way.

Jets to spend 1 year as understudy to Matt Rodgers?  Of course then Rodgers would want one more season if things went "pretty well" meaning a playoff appearance or at least .500 finish.

Pats?

Redskins?

Saints?  Can't move on from Carr for one more year without a huge cap hit.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems too obvious.

Seattle is another unsettled position now with Geno Smith and the way the season ended up disappointingly to so many frustrated fans there.

TB stabilized under Mayfield, who has certainly earned another year down there.

Arizona decision process on Kyler Murray can end up going either way.

Jets to spend 1 year as understudy to Matt Rodgers?  Of course then Rodgers would want one more season if things went "pretty well" meaning a playoff appearance or at least .500 finish.

Pats?

Redskins?

Saints?  Can't move on from Carr for one more year without a huge cap hit.

Pats and Commanders will most likely take QBs in the top 3.

Atlanta has #8 and could trade back to take Penix. Raiders are also in position to take Penix at 13. How good or bad Penix looks tomorrow could determine how much trade interest there is for Fields.

Geno is better than Fields and I think they have him signed for at least another year before they can cut bait.

Denver is a possibility as well, but I doubt Payton would want a Fields type QB. They just got rid of Wilson and they hated him for taking sacks. Fields is even worse than him about that.

Edited by chw42

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Pats and Commanders will most likely take QBs in the top 3.

Atlanta has #8 and could trade back to take Penix. Raiders are also in position to take Penix at 13. How good or bad Penix looks tomorrow could determine how much trade interest there is for Fields.

Geno is better than Fields and I think they have him signed for at least another year before they can cut bait.

Denver is a possibility as well, but I doubt Payton would want a Fields type QB. They just got rid of Wilson and they hated him for taking sacks. Fields is even worse than him about that.

Forgot about the Raiders' situation with O'Connell...unsettled at best and likely moving on.

Penix would seem to be more interesting to Denver/Payton.  Not sure about Nix or McCarthy.

I took a look at the available free agents and draft class.

Bears will have about $54 million in cap space if they tag Jaylon Johnson and cut Jackson and Whitehair. That includes the salaries for their 6 draft picks.

The Bears have needs at QB, WR, EDGE, C, FS, OG, DI.

This draft is deep at QB, WR, OT, and CB.

This free agency class is fairly deep at EDGE, S, and DI.

Based on that the Bears should be targeting QB, WR, and OL help in the draft and sign a bunch of defenders in free agency. They have the cap space to make a few splashes.