2023-24 NFL Season Thread

46 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sooooooo Caleb Williams still hasn't declared for the draft.  It's hard to think this is anything but bad for the Bears.  

There was also a report that he wants part of ownership of the team that drafts him. So who knows what to believe. 

38 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There was also a report that he wants part of ownership of the team that drafts him. So who knows what to believe. 

That came from his dad, who he had a big argument over his USC transfer with. They don't always agree on everything.

23 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Yeah good luck with that Mr. Williams... 

he can demand that all he wants, I don’t think anyone is giving him that until he shows that he can win in the NFL consistently.  And even then, there is like one guy in the nfl who has that, and he is the best QB in the league 

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I know the deadline to declare for the draft is today but is there a specific time today? 

I saw something that said any time before midnight eastern time. Not sure how valid that is, though.

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

he can demand that all he wants, I don’t think anyone is giving him that until he shows that he can win in the NFL consistently.  And even then, there is like one guy in the nfl who has that, and he is the best QB in the league 

Mahomes?

36 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I saw something that said any time before midnight eastern time. Not sure how valid that is, though.

Mahomes?

Yea I am wrong about that, he TALKED about it when he got stakes in MLS and the KC Royals, but hasn’t happened yet.

so, Williams can pound sand 

• Thanks 1

If Caleb’s dad was as bad as described something would have come out from legit USC sources. His dad pushed him and has pushed him and clearly is involved but so far he isn’t Lavar. That isn’t to say he can’t be - but he wasn’t a pain around USC and if he was it was swept under the rug. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

If Caleb’s dad was as bad as described something would have come out from legit USC sources. His dad pushed him and has pushed him and clearly is involved but so far he isn’t Lavar. That isn’t to say he can’t be - but he wasn’t a pain around USC and if he was it was swept under the rug. 

People have all been very angry about things that I haven’t even seen actual clips or original articles for. Lavar ball was on tv every damn day in front of a microphone.

I will say if Bears move down - they need to get one of the stud qbs or Marvin. I don’t like a scenario where they move so far down they don’t get one of them. That doesn’t mean they can’t move down and trade back up though. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

People have all been very angry about things that I haven’t even seen actual clips or original articles for. Lavar ball was on tv every damn day in front of a microphone.

Exactly - the only thing out there was a gq article and I didn’t hear anything bad. It does seem like business wise his dad is shrewd and being cautious how he is branded etc. 

I also think any Bear ban was crazy premature. I don’t think Williams or his family have gotten to know Poles, Warren, Flus and Mccaskeys….so I would think Williams would at least meet them before making crazy demands. 

Manning situation was slightly different since Archie for whatever reason had an issue with ownership and already knew Chargers ownership from his time around the league. I don’t know what it was that drove the Manning beef. 

17 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I will say if Bears move down - they need to get one of the stud qbs or Marvin. I don’t like a scenario where they move so far down they don’t get one of them. That doesn’t mean they can’t move down and trade back up though. 

If they trade Fields to Atlanta, there is a hypothetical Harrison + Daniels draft, but that has to be done during the draft and that's walking the tight rope.

• Like 1

Stroud looks to be the real deal. Jury is still very much out on Chase Young. 

The odds seem solid that one of Williams/Maye will be a great QB. 

The Bears have had the chance to select all 4 of them, and if they come away drafting 0 of them, because they had Justin Fields on their roster...that's unforgivable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tony said:

Stroud looks to be the real deal. Jury is still very much out on Chase Young. 

The odds seem solid that one of Williams/Maye will be a great QB. 

The Bears have had the chance to select all 4 of them, and if they come away drafting 0 of them, because they had Justin Fields on their roster...that's unforgivable. 

Agreed. Although I think it is highly unlikely that the Bears take Maye. I just can't see them using another top 3 pick on a quarterback from North Carolina. 

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Agreed. Although I think it is highly unlikely that the Bears take Maye. I just can't see them using another top 3 pick on a quarterback from North Carolina. 

He just so happens to wear #10 and has similar tools to Trubisky too (much better arm  strength though). He's not the same prospect, but there's definitely some PTSD there for Bears fans. 

Edited by chw42

Not gonna lie, the prospect I want the most is MHjr, he is a can't miss prospect while QBs are more of a wild card. We know JF is flawed, but I keep going back to his league leading passer rating to DJ Moore, in theory putting MHjr opposite Moore would create a ton of space for other recievers since you can't doubleteam both, right? And Harrison is the type of reciever that doesn't need to be "wide open" because of his size, jumping ability, hands and strength...great recievers make pedestrian QBs look elite, Brock Purdy didn't look so hot in the games Deebo Samuel missed this season for example...

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Mel Kiper Jr seems to think the Bears can get the 8th pick for Fields, which is just insane to me. There might be a 1% chance of that happening. 

I wouldn't go that far down either. 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Mel Kiper Jr seems to think the Bears can get the 8th pick for Fields, which is just insane to me. There might be a 1% chance of that happening. 

It all depends on how bad they want the home town kid and if they feel pressure to add him