2023-24 NFL Season Thread

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Alabama fans have something go their way the last two weeks...and the City of Detroit.

First Benetti, then the Wolverines.Ā Ā  Makes up a bit for the Pistons, too.

I didn't know you were a Wolverines fan...congrats Caulfield.

I root for the other UM in college sports (Miami (FL)).

Edited by SoCalChiSox

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I didn't know you were a Wolverines fan...congrats Caulfield.

I root for the other UM in college sports (Miami (FL)).

Iowa alum....I hate Michigan, lol.

Ā 

And now it's back to game on...not kicking the field goal (not a surprise if you follow Campbell's career) and then that ball bouncing the wrong way.

Wouldn't be too comfortable as a Detroit fan at this point.Ā Ā  Gut check time.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Campbell has really lost his mind leaving those 6 points on the field.

Especially not kicking for the tie just now.

I thought if he wanted to be aggressive it should have been at the end of the first half. Not when your team blew a 17 pt lead and needed something to get them back in the game. They also had plenty of time left in the game where if they allowed the Niners to score after they would have had a shot to tie the game.

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I hope the 49ers destroy the Chiefs and put an end to the Swiftie Nation.

I hope so too but there's 0% chance that happens.Ā 

There is no way the league will permit SF to win.

Just like last year the Eagles were kicking the s%*# out of the Chiefs and then magically the most fearsome DL in the league somehow couldn't get to a one legged Mahomes.

This is no different than the WWE.

Ā 

Ā 

13 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I hope so too but there's 0% chance that happens.Ā 

There is no way the league will permit SF to win.

Just like last year the Eagles were kicking the s%*# out of the Chiefs and then magically the most fearsome DL in the league somehow couldn't get to a one legged Mahomes.

This is no different than the WWE.

Ā 

Ā 

The 49ers will be slight favorites and he has thrived on the underdog role against Buffalo and Baltimore.

Just more fuel for the fire.Ā Ā  Every other ad will be Mahomes, Kelce or Swift, lol.

Ā 

Usher is going to get buried under the Swifties.Ā  Certainly they will have her sing a duet with him...they can't let the opportunity pass them by.

Ā 

Ā 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The 49ers will be slight favorites and he has thrived on the underdog role against Buffalo and Baltimore.

Just more fuel for the fire.Ā Ā  Every other ad will be Mahomes, Kelce or Swift, lol.

Ā 

Usher is going to get buried under the Swifties.Ā  Certainly they will have her sing a duet with him...they can't let the opportunity pass them by.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The Chiefs are a malignant and malevolent force on the same scale as Russia. They must be destroyed.

If some SF DL puts on brass knuckles underneath his gloves and socks Kelce in the Adam's Apple underneath the pile, I won't cry about it.

f*** em

• Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Little game Lamar Jackson shows up once again in the playoffs. KC and Mahomes didn't score a single point in the scond half and this dude and Baltimore couldn't take advantadge.Ā 

Bears gotta take Caleb Williams and hope he is 95% as good as Mahomes. These mobile qbs without pocket presence like Fields and Lamar are not how you win super bowls.Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Little game Lamar Jackson shows up once again in the playoffs. KC and Mahomes didn't score a single point in the scond half and this dude and Baltimore couldn't take advantadge.Ā 

Bears gotta take Caleb Williams and hope he is 95% as good as Mahomes. These mobile qbs without pocket presence like Fields and Lamar are not how you win super bowls.Ā 

I thought Lamar played a lot like Fields yesterday lol.

But a bad Lamar game is like a pretty good Fields game.Ā 

The meta defense against mobile QBs is to stay in your gaps and not necessarily try to sack them, but keep them in the pocket and cut off their escape lanes. Seems like that strategy is working pretty well.Ā 

So seems like Mike MacDonald is going to Seattle and Ben Johnson will go to Washington.

You never know, but those seem like the best hires of the cycle to me. Which, yes I am the "Harbaugh to bears must happen" guy.

I think the "jump the hire" stuff is overrated.

Overall though, I'll put a prediction down to paper.

Before that, I'll say that 2 years ago I thought the Seahawks would be the worst team in football, and they made the playoffs. Then I thought the bucs this year would be the worst team in football, and they made the 2nd round of playoffs.

In both cases, they had strong executive teams who were vouching for players and coaches that I thought were past their prime/were propped up by other players. Licht/Schneider are the goods.

Who I think will succeed:
Harbaugh - while it may not be in year 1, I can see a situation where he "gets the band back together" and finds they don't work well in modern nfl. But I trust harbaugh's desire to win first and foremost - he will find a set of coaches and schemes that get that team going.

(Assumed HC) Mike Macdonald - This guy was an incredible this year vs specifically the NFC west. He helped turn around Harbaugh's career at Umich. Him paired with Schneider and the Seattle FO seems like a strong match.

Ben Johnson - the pairing of him + GM seems strong. They have a clean slate to work with and a consistently mid-division. I COULD see him torpedoed by their first round QB maybe busting but overall I think he should be strong.

Raheem Morris - I think he's a good coach, and I am going against my own hunch that the Falcons FO is bad. They did a good job in FA last year shoring up the D. They have drafted some good players and put together a good oline. THey had a coach that kept saying "no this QB will work" and it not working. I think they are bad, but I also thought it was crazy Tampa wasn't firing Jason LIcht after so many coaching mess-ups. SO this is me going against myself.

WHo I think is more likely to fail:

Canales - If a strong FO can get more out of the staff, this is me saying I don't believe that they have one, even with a business guy from KC. The owner seems like a problem. I like Canales though, but boy that seems like a lot to manage for a younger HC.

Callahan - It MAY have been Vrabel pushing to keep going for it that made the first year look so meh, but I just don't like a lot of what was done last year with the team.Ā 

I think this is going to be a really strong coaching class though. If I'm wrong, I'd guess I'm wrong with Morris and Callahan, where the titans like make the playoffs behind Callahan's brilliant work with Levis. And that Carthon starts stacking talent a la his time in SF.

You definitely starting to see the Dan Campbell effect in coaching hires, where more ARE looking for big leaders rather than the hot QB coach.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

(Assumed HC) Mike Macdonald - This guy was an incredible this year vs specifically the NFC west. He helped turn around Harbaugh's career at Umich. Him paired with Schneider and the Seattle FO seems like a strong match.

Ā 

I was hearing that Seattle was likely to grab Dan Quinn on the radio this morning, so are we confident this has been decided?

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I thought Lamar played a lot like Fields yesterday lol.

But a bad Lamar game is like a pretty good Fields game.Ā 

The meta defense against mobile QBs is to stay in your gaps and not necessarily try to sack them, but keep them in the pocket and cut off their escape lanes. Seems like that strategy is working pretty well.Ā 

Lamar is better than Fields for sure. However, Lamar has proven that he is not a big game player and now the Ravens are pretty much stuck with him. He is gonna lose speed and the ability to run more and more each year as well.Ā 

The Chiefs blizted Lamar a bunch yesterday which forced him to make quick decisions. It was also pretty crazy that Baltimore only ran the handed the ball off to a running back like 6 times the entire game. Everything lined up pretty well this year for them and they flat out blew it.Ā 

Not sure I get the hate for the Chiefs. Not caught up in any scandals, and their run is reaching Patriot-type levels in terms of playoff success.Ā 

I saw Kelce's playoff stats today: 21 games, 156 receptions for 1,810 yards and 19 TD's. Incredible.Ā 

Unless it's a situation like the Astro's, I have a hard time rooting against historic greatness.Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not sure I get the hate for the Chiefs. Not caught up in any scandals, and their run is reaching Patriot-type levels in terms of playoff success.Ā 

I saw Kelce's playoff stats today: 21 games, 156 receptions for 1,810 yards and 19 TD's. Incredible.Ā 

Unless it's a situation like the Astro's, I have a hard time rooting against historic greatness.Ā 

The dominance is why people root against them. I respect how good they are, but f*** them. I wanna see new teams win it.