2023-24 NFL Season Thread

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Or they're trying to make everybody think they're shopping Fields.

Right, they’re not “shopping Fields”; they’re just answering phone calls from other teams shopping for him. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Fields to Steelers

6th round pick that can become a 4th based on playing time.

Would have kept him as the backup if that's all they got, especially since they're gonna need a backup with Braxton Jones at LT.

Edited by CentralChamps21

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Would have kept him as the backup if that's all they got, especially since they're gonna need a backup with Braxton Jones at LT.

Same.

Wow. Not sure I’ve ever seen a bigger disconnect between perceived value and real value. 

I think Poles probably fucked this up, but I also kinda don’t blame him as it just lined up horribly and it’s clear coaches would prefer a QB who can run a passing offense. Clearly the shanahan/McVay coaches were not on board and that’s 3/4 of the league.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

This should be a wake up call for the Bears who wanted to keep Fields over drafting Williams and yet it definitely won’t be.

I’m pretty excited to watch them. I assume they’ll just move to crying how it’s a mistake instead of admitting how embarrassingly incapable they were of admitting reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Which also means it is a next year pick

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Wow. Not sure I’ve ever seen a bigger disconnect between perceived value and real value. 

I think Poles probably fucked this up, but I also kinda don’t blame him as it just lined up horribly and it’s clear coaches would prefer a QB who can run a passing offense. Clearly the shanahan/McVay coaches were not on board and that’s 3/4 of the league.

Yeah, the league thought very poorly of Fields. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which also means it is a next year pick

Meanwhile, they didn't sign Tyron Smith. Alt won't be available at 9. Fashanu might not either. LT is arguably the second-most important offensive position on the field and it's going to be the weakest position on the Bears offense.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This should be a wake up call for the Bears who wanted to keep Fields over drafting Williams and yet it definitely won’t be.

And Bears fans.  Clueless.

A QB’s most important ability is to be able to throw the ball accurately, not run.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. They didn’t want to pay Poles price. He didn’t adjust until he ran out of options.

This could be it too.  Poles might have been able to get a 4th rounder had he accepted an earlier offer.  I think he was holding out for a 2nd or 3rd.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. They didn’t want to pay Poles price. He didn’t adjust until he ran out of options.

I will disagree. 

I thought Fields was still good enough to start somewhere, but I guess the league views him as a complete bust. 

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I will disagree. 

I thought Fields was still good enough to start somewhere, but I guess the league views him as a complete bust. 

Look at the other QBs that were traded for higher draft value.  Poles definitely waited too long.  He wasn’t going to get a 2nd or 3rd but I wouldn’t be surprised if a team had offered a pick higher than a conditional 6th.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If poles price was a starter price, nobody viewed him as a starter. This is a backup price that got worse as backups with longer contracts were acquired. 

• Like 1