2023-24 NFL Season Thread

The Bears were also negatively impacted by the tampering - as if the tampering led Cousin's to go through with his opt out and ultimately sign in Atlanta that ripple effect definitely impacted Field(s) ultimate trade value.  Not saying difference between 2nd and what they got - but no denying Falcons being in the market for a QB would have helped Bears significantly in their efforts to move Justin.  

14 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Bears must have some sort of unofficial deal with the Mayor to stay in the city rather than move to Arlington Heights.  The Mayor must’ve given in to some of their demands.

He may have, but this would only be a tentative agreement. I would have to go back to the Sox stadium thread for the financials, but what we know is they still owe on Soldier Field, Pritzker is not warming on the idea to financing anything but infrastructure to the new stadium and they were using an existing tax to try and get funding for the new stadium. The Bears and Sox both were supposed to provide proposals for public funding so how would this agreement with the city impact the Sox? Lots of questions remain unanswered…and nothing is set in stone until the ink dries and construction begins.

14 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really hope this the case.

Have teams forfeited picks to other teams or have they just forfeited picks and foregone their draft position? The latter is what I was thinking.

It’s just so, so dumb to stay at the same spot essentially, solving none of the traffic snarl issues, as well as not own the property instead co-opting with the city again. I can’t wait until we get a half assed dome that is an eyesore 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

He may have, but this would only be a tentative agreement. I would have to go back to the Sox stadium thread for the financials, but what we know is they still owe on Soldier Field, Pritzker is not warming on the idea to financing anything but infrastructure to the new stadium and they were using an existing tax to try and get funding for the new stadium. The Bears and Sox both were supposed to provide proposals for public funding so how would this agreement with the city impact the Sox? Lots of questions remain unanswered…and nothing is set in stone until the ink dries and construction begins.

Have teams forfeited picks to other teams or have they just forfeited picks and foregone their draft position? The latter is what I was thinking.

There have been settlements between teams where they agree to compensation in lieu of punishment. That could happen here if the falcons think it would be a lighter punishment (swapping 8 with 11) than what nfl will hand out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s just so, so dumb to stay at the same spot essentially, solving none of the traffic snarl issues, as well as not own the property instead co-opting with the city again. I can’t wait until we get a half assed dome that is an eyesore 

It seems pretty clear the Bears were locked in on Arlington Heights, but Kevin Warren had no interest in moving the team to the burbs, and wants to stay in the city. He did the exact same thing in Minnesota, and clearly doing the same here. 

I was looking forward to them moving to the burbs, the city is such a pain in the ass and I can't imagine it will be that much better with the new stadium, but whatever. Just build a winner. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

I don't recall anyone else inheriting the picks. I think of Bounty Gate, I feel like Miami had something (maybe it was related to the owner & Tom Brad - but I don't recall off top of my head), and than I presume the Patriots lost some form of draft pick related to the video stuff way back when (I don't recall if deflate gate cost anything).

I still would be shocked if they lost a FRP - I would suspect a 2nd rounder would be highest they go with the Falcons - unless league wants to really SEND a message. While Vikings were clearly penalized by the tampering - to rewards Vikings is odd as reality is other teams were also penalized (say any other team that wanted Cousin's was penalized as were teams looking to trade QB's)...so I think that is where it becomes a slipper slope and I presume the penalty will be a forfeit vs. a receipt of a pick. 

Note: Unless league wanted to give like an extra compensation pick or something along those lines.  I also can't imagine the penalty comes down fast enough that the team loses a pick literally a day before the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

It seems pretty clear the Bears were locked in on Arlington Heights, but Kevin Warren had no interest in moving the team to the burbs, and wants to stay in the city. He did the exact same thing in Minnesota, and clearly doing the same here. 

I was looking forward to them moving to the burbs, the city is such a pain in the ass and I can't imagine it will be that much better with the new stadium, but whatever. Just build a winner. 

For me - I think they should always be in Chicago - but easy as an outsider to say that.  It makes the fact that I'll fly in every other year for a game way more enjoyable cause I can stay in the city and have a great experience with the family while catching the game. 

11 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I wouldn’t mind if we got our own SoFi Stadium but we aren’t getting a $6 billion dollar stadium.

I dont think price tag is necessary to even build what was built, imo.

This stadium will be really nice. I would like to point out that outside of specifically soldier field, which they mistakenly retrofit into the columns, most of the recent park builds and public construction has been great. The river front if wonderful. Maggie daley park is a gem. Northerly island is great, but sucks to get to. Completely private, but the salt shed has been a huge success and is awesome.

I don't know if they'll get the revenue they asked, but I'm pretty confident that what gets build there will be pretty great.

19 hours ago, Texsox said:

I do enjoy the lakefront for a Bears game. But I fear what @Kyyle23 posted is true. It will be an ugly half ass dome. 

Wish it could be a retractable roof.

53 minutes ago, RichieZisk said:

Meh, it’s cool. But it’s not worth the taxpayer dollars given the financial situation of the state and Chicago.

14 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Isn't here like half a billion dollars of unpaid debt still left on the Soldier Filed renovations? How are they going to make that debt magically disappear? 

Yes. Budget gimmicks. They might have mentioned how at the press conference today, but I haven’t seen the financials yet.

• Like 1

I think it's very cool. The additional park space is good.

That's a lot of additional public space, and I do think a good use of money is to encourage more residences in the loop, which could be a big drag if commercial real estate implodes. 

I also may be wrong but I'm not seeing the $2.1 billion price tag that the trib reported from tax payers. Part of the public funds is not included in that, that's a phase 3. Again - I think those investments are better than most.

• Thanks 1

I’m going to be so disappointed if Poles doesn’t take Odunze if he’s there at #9.  Quite honestly, the only other result I would want to see is a crazy trade up for MHJ, which I doubt is likely.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/24/bears-nfl-draft-rome-odunze-would-love-to-join-caleb-williams-chicago/

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-rome-odunze-workout-with-caleb-williams-dj-moore-keenan-allen-twitter-reaction/

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m going to be so disappointed if Poles doesn’t take Odunze if he’s there at #9.  Quite honestly, the only other result I would want to see is a crazy trade up for MHJ, which I doubt is likely.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/24/bears-nfl-draft-rome-odunze-would-love-to-join-caleb-williams-chicago/

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/bears-rome-odunze-workout-with-caleb-williams-dj-moore-keenan-allen-twitter-reaction/

Projections would indicate Bears fans wouldn't recognize the air game that would result. 

Now toss in a dome to make throwing the ball possible in all weather conditions and damn I'm getting excited.