2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I don't get drafting a 27 year old punter with a 4th round pick, but that's me.

If he's as good as advertised in helping pin the other team, it's almost like drafting a Defensive player.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I don't get drafting a 27 year old punter with a 4th round pick, but that's me.

I think there is a valid argument to not use a 4th round pick on a punter, but age is sort of irrelevant. Guys are punting at age 35, 37 semi regularly. 

Additionally, if Taylor is as good as the Bears hope, and he punts for them for the next decade at a high level...there are worse picks that could be made. 

Just now, Tony said:

I think there is a valid argument to not use a 4th round pick on a punter, but age is sort of irrelevant. Guys are punting at age 35, 37 semi regularly. 

Additionally, if Taylor is as good as the Bears hope, and he punts for them for the next decade at a high level...there are worse picks that could be made. 

That's true, but the age is only relevant when you consider you could have a 21,22 year old kid at a premium position instead. Either way, if the Bears offense is as good as some believe it will be he may not even get that much work as it is.

20 minutes ago, T R U said:

That's true, but the age is only relevant when you consider you could have a 21,22 year old kid at a premium position instead. Either way, if the Bears offense is as good as some believe it will be he may not even get that much work as it is.

The Bears were dead last in net punting last year.  There is a LOT of gain to be had in this one move.

2 hours ago, T R U said:

I would not have spent a 4th rounder on a punter. Spending a 4th rounder on a guy that ideally sees the field 2-3 times a game, I would not have made the same decision. 

That said, I’m thrilled with the draft and the team Poles has assembled, I’m not going to get super worked up about the pick, but I’m also not going to get excited about it like others have. 

11 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’m not a fanatic or hater of Williams at all, but maybe you can tell us which QBs from this draft are not busts?

Not really, more will be than not. (at least not the franchise types the teams are looking for)

This dude just gives off Ryan Leaf / Johnny Manziel / Baker Mayfield vibes.  I see him as the type of guy that won’t handle adversity well, and the NFL WILL bring adversity, no matter who you are.  Maybe he’ll grow up in a hurry, because he’s gonna have to.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 4:41 PM, southsider2k5 said:

The Bears were dead last in net punting last year.  There is a LOT of gain to be had in this one move.

Yep, Gill was truly that bad.

“Drafted in 2022, Gill ranked last among all punters in net yards per punt last year. He was among the worst punters in touchback rate and punts inside the 20.“

4 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yep, Gill was truly that bad.

“Drafted in 2022, Gill ranked last among all punters in net yards per punt last year. He was among the worst punters in touchback rate and punts inside the 20.“

Statistically, the worst. I'm not a huge fan of "advanced" stats in the NFL, but Gill was dead last in them. So bad that his negative value basically wiped out Kmet's positive value.

22 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

Not really, more will be than not. (at least not the franchise types the teams are looking for)

This dude just gives off Ryan Leaf / Johnny Manziel / Baker Mayfield vibes.  I see him as the type of guy that won’t handle adversity well, and the NFL WILL bring adversity, no matter who you are.  Maybe he’ll grow up in a hurry, because he’s gonna have to.

You just listed 2 guys who put in no effort to better themselves after signing their initial contract. Leaf stopped giving af even before he was drafted. He got fat before the combine. Manziel basically stopped caring about football after his first year at A&M. Both of those guys were un-coachable because they just wanted their one pay day. Caleb already made his money through NIL yet cared enough about not winning a Pac 12 title in college that he did what you posted in that GIF. He's shown that he wants to be prepared and wants to win at the NFL level by working with his coaches to adapt to Waldron's offense even before being drafted. Those points alone should show you that his problem will not be the same that caused Manziel and Leaf to fail at the NFL level. Those guys didn't care about what happened after they got drafted. Caleb Williams has not shown me he doesn't care. If he fails at the NFL level, it won't be for the same reasons why Leaf and Manziel failed. 

19 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You just listed 2 guys who put in no effort to better themselves after signing their initial contract. Leaf stopped giving af even before he was drafted. He got fat before the combine. Manziel basically stopped caring about football after his first year at A&M. Both of those guys were un-coachable because they just wanted their one pay day. Caleb already made his money through NIL yet cared enough about not winning a Pac 12 title in college that he did what you posted in that GIF. He's shown that he wants to be prepared and wants to win at the NFL level by working with his coaches to adapt to Waldron's offense even before being drafted. Those points alone should show you that his problem will not be the same that caused Manziel and Leaf to fail at the NFL level. Those guys didn't care about what happened after they got drafted. Caleb Williams has not shown me he doesn't care. If he fails at the NFL level, it won't be for the same reasons why Leaf and Manziel failed. 

The idea that because Williams shows emotion and paints his nails so he can't be a top notch NFL QB is such a trope.  I almost want him to succeed just to feed it to the manly men tropers.

I mean, there's accounts of Jordan crying during the Olympics thanks to famous abusive asshole Bobby Knight, and I'm sure we all remember Dennis Rodman's antics while on the Bulls and leading the league in rebounds in addition to his near-suicide attempt in the early 90's.

It's purestrain sports radio meatball takes, imo

5 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

I mean, there's accounts of Jordan crying during the Olympics thanks to famous abusive asshole Bobby Knight, and I'm sure we all remember Dennis Rodman's antics while on the Bulls and leading the league in rebounds in addition to his near-suicide attempt in the early 90's.

It's purestrain sports radio meatball takes, imo

Yeah if Dennis Rodman in a wedding dress doesn't prove that being different af doesn't mean you can't play at the highest levels of professional sports, than nothing will.

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The idea that because Williams shows emotion and paints his nails so he can't be a top notch NFL QB is such a trope.  I almost want him to succeed just to feed it to the manly men tropers.

Do Jimmy Butler's pig tails do anything toward this 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

I believe there were other reasons (🤧) Johnny Football didn’t pan out. And it isn’t Kleenex.

• Haha 1