Dave Wills dead

Dick Allen

Former White Sox pre game host, and llongtime Rays radio voice, has died. He was only 58. He was great on the pregame, sometimes calling fans drillrods.  Many were hoping he would get a White Sox pbp position some day. Apparently  had heart issues.. RIP

Edited by Dick Allen

Stunned at this news. I knew Dave well, he was always generous with his time and advice. Loved the Sox passionately. Wanted badly to become a permanent part of the Sox broadcasting crew but JR would never give final approval (that according to Dave) and he got tired of waiting. Thinking of his family at this time.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2023/03/05/rays-radio-dave-wills-dies-andy-freed-stuart-sternberg/

"Before going to the Rays, Wills spent 11 years on the White Sox’s radio team in his native Chicago after starting his play-by-play career with the minor league Kane County Cougars from 1991-95. He also did radio play-by-play for the University of Illinois-Chicago men’s basketball team and assorted other broadcast work.

“Dave was the classic Chicago South Sider: friendly, welcoming, big voice, big character, caring and die-hard when it came to his sports,” White Sox communications vice president Scott Reifert said. “The Chicago genes never completely left him, and he was celebrated each time the Rays visited. Dave loved baseball, and his voice and presence will be missed in ballparks and by fans across the major leagues. A sad day.”

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

“Man, he was as big as life. Dave was always a legend in the city of Chicago,” Jackson said. “And he was a good man for the game of baseball. If you had Dave as part of any organization, you’ve got yourself a true warrior going to war with you guys and for you guys.

“That’s what I remember most about Dave when he was doing his job. He was there to let the people know the truth. He was there to be honest about the organization. And he wasn’t afraid to go ahead and hold people to task. I loved that about him. He’s going to be missed.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thank you for sharing the nice article, it helps bring who Dave Wills was to life. My first call to the postgame show was with him and he made me feel like a million bucks on the air as a 6th grader. I’ll never forget it.

Edited by The Beast

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Former White Sox pre game host, and llongtime Rays radio voice, has died. He was only 58. He was great on the pregame, sometimes calling fans drillrods.  Many were hoping he would get a White Sox pbp position some day. Apparently  had heart issues.. RIP

Sad news.  Too young.  RIP Dave Wills.

1 hour ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Yes the thing I stated I knew about it is the thing I knew about it. Well done

My reply was to all of your comments, and your overall message alluding to this being a side effect of the Covid vaccine.

I have nothing more to say about this.  Have a nice life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeCredeYes said:

RIP Dave and condolences to the Wills family, always loved listening to Dave, and his big "White Sox Baseball...........NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT" lead in on the radio would always fire me up.  

he also did a prerecorded version of that at the park. usually followed by gene honda saying" listen to the postgame on espn radio 1000"

• Like 1

This is horrible news. I LOVED Dave Wills pre and post game shows. His passion for the Sox was infectious! I listened to a few of his TB Ray broadcasts as well and he was awesome! The Sox should have promoted him, no doubt! May he RIP and my thoughts and prayers are with his family. 

P.S. nobody hated the Cubs more than Dave Wills. (legend!) 

• Love 2