Kopech

hi8is

2 hours ago, tray said:

Grifol saw no reason to even start the bullpen going while people in the stands were complaining about the fact that no one was even up in the bullpen....even after Kopech allowed 3 home runs.  Instead Grifol let Kopech get pummeled which put the home opener all but out of reach. It truly felt like a beat down. At minimum,  Grifol /Katz should have made a mound visit and told Kopech to throw high, inside fastballs to back some of these Hank Aarons off the plate.

I guess that job is now left for Cease...

I think he left him in because the BP was gassed from all the innings they pitched against the Astros and managers will let a starting pitcher stay in because of that. He also let Ruiz wear it when he also got pummeled and then finally had to bring in Alberto to pitch.

Some might argue that with and off day today he could've pulled Kopech earlier but then he's bringing someone who might already be gassed or because he would've had to cover more innings would have to eventually bring in someone was was gassed and risk arm problems since most of the relievers are only good for 1 inning.

Kopech also had a late start on pitching in spring training because of his knee. He could be at the point now that some pitchers get in ST with a dead arm. If after 2 or 3 starts he's still ineffective I'll be concerned. Other might be concerned after his next start but I'll give it a bit longer than that.

How many Starts did Kopech have in ST? 2 maybe? Lynn between the WBC and ST maybe had 4 or 5.

18 hours ago, almagest said:

There were some pretty crazy adjustments after the first inning, but he also lost a couple mph on his fastball and he couldn't locate his offspeed, so it might just be that. We'll see next start.

wouldn't be surprised if he started to gas.  did anyone else notice he was starting his delivery at like 11 seconds remaining on the clock, regularly

teach him how to slow down and compose himself 

Was he tipping his pitches?

“It’s a possibility,” Kopech said. “If it wasn’t necessarily a tip, there was something I was doing different, breaking ball to fastball. Just by the body language of the hitters, they were on everything. I have enough speed difference to throw guys off a little bit. The fact they were on everything, they saw something. Whether it was a tip or just me presenting pitches differently, they put good swings on it and it showed.”

From the Athletic.

It’s funny because the second part of the last sentence he makes “or just me presenting pitches differently”…

That’s a good definition of tipping.

So he basically says, “whether it was a tip or a tip, they put good swings on it…” 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jomboy breaking down Kopech’s pitch tipping against the Giants: 

https://twitter.com/jomboy_/status/1645250131858472961?s=46&t=0hsZGzIQ6gA2xF3CklZpQw

Well on it's way to a million views.  

Not sure they really have anything of substance.  4 home runs in 5 batters and you assume he was tipping.  Much like our mainstream media I'm pretty sure old Jomboy wrote the story and then found the evidence to fit the narrative. 

One of the 4 homers was off the slider which Jomboy himself explains he doesn't know how it happened as he should have been sitting fastball/changeup if they had a tip. 

Only one of the homers was actually off the curveball where Kopech flared his glove.

Really, if anything they could see the flare and just spit on the curveball, get into better fastball counts and mash, but Michael was using his changeup alot which should have helped neutralize that edge if that was indeed the case.

Also, I'm not positive a glove flare like that is as obvious from homeplate as it is the CF camera.  

I personally think it was the lack of command and velocity, leading to 91 mph fastballs in hitter's counts that was the culprit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Well on it's way to a million views.  

Not sure they really have anything of substance.  4 home runs in 5 batters and you assume he was tipping.  Much like our mainstream media I'm pretty sure old Jomboy wrote the story and then found the evidence to fit the narrative. 

One of the 4 homers was off the slider which Jomboy himself explains he doesn't know how it happened as he should have been sitting fastball/changeup if they had a tip. 

Only one of the homers was actually off the curveball where Kopech flared his glove.

Really, if anything they could see the flare and just spit on the curveball, get into better fastball counts and mash, but Michael was using his changeup alot which should have helped neutralize that edge if that was indeed the case.

Also, I'm not positive a glove flare like that is as obvious from homeplate as it is the CF camera.  

I personally think it was the lack of command and velocity, leading to 91 mph fastballs in hitter's counts that was the culprit. 

Kopech's a bit easy to fluster when he's on the mound, so I'm sure him giving up that many homers on what he thought was some good pitches was messing with his head. It's true that only one curve was actually hit for a homer, but when you can easily eliminate one pitch based on a tip, it helps a lot. He was also only throwing the change to lefties and I don't think Conforto got a single one so it was pretty easy to tell when he was gonna get a fastball. And like you said, he was hanging the slider a lot, so non-flared glove was either a heater or a bad slider. And a flared one was a curve. 

What's worse is that nobody on the staff apparently fixed the issue. They maybe just told him to stop throwing the curve since he only threw it once yesterday. But the tip is still obviously there.

Curve:

d7fNk2k.png

Non-Curve:

tFGZBjo.png

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Kopech's a bit easy to fluster when he's on the mound, so I'm sure him giving up that many homers on what he thought was some good pitches was messing with his head. It's true that only one curve was actually hit for a homer, but when you can easily eliminate one pitch based on a tip, it helps a lot. He was also only throwing the change to lefties and I don't think Conforto got a single one so it was pretty easy to tell when he was gonna get a fastball. And like you said, he was hanging the slider a lot, so non-flared glove was either a heater or a bad slider. And a flared one was a curve. 

What's worse is that nobody on the staff apparently fixed the issue. They maybe just told him to stop throwing the curve since he only threw it once yesterday. But the tip is still obviously there.

Curve:

d7fNk2k.png

Non-Curve:

tFGZBjo.png

I keep looking at this and the Giants video and don't understand how the left handed hitters can even see it. It seems pretty well hidden from view to lefties.

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I keep looking at this and the Giants video and don't understand how the left handed hitters can even see it. It seems pretty well hidden from view to lefties.

Jomboy says in the video Trevor Plouffe confirmed that batters can see stuff like that because they are constantly looking for tip offs. 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

"Look at him, looking right at the pitcher"

🤣

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Jomboy says in the video Trevor Plouffe confirmed that batters can see stuff like that because they are constantly looking for tip offs. 

I don't doubt that, but when I look at this

image.png

I am trying to figure how that left handed hitter can tell if the thumb is raised or not. Hes holding it back and against his waist. He is obviously tipping, I was just making an observation.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't catch that he was already going into his motion on this still frame so it may have been more apparent before he started. That would explain it.

Edited by T R U

11 hours ago, T R U said:

I don't doubt that, but when I look at this

image.png

I am trying to figure how that left handed hitter can tell if the thumb is raised or not. Hes holding it back and against his waist. He is obviously tipping, I was just making an observation.

EDIT: Actually, I didn't catch that he was already going into his motion on this still frame so it may have been more apparent before he started. That would explain it.

I would hope he’d corrected the problem by the pirates start - sure seemed like he had.