2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think he's a slam dunk pick. I like him so much more than Burns. If the position player side of the White Sox system was better I would be advocating for him hard.

He’s having the draft season that Rodon was supposed to have 

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I think he's a slam dunk pick. I like him so much more than Burns. If the position player side of the White Sox system was better I would be advocating for him hard.

I don't see how COL would pass on him, seems like it'd be right up their alley.

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 10:38 PM, GreenSox said:

Draft this guy.

All depends on whether he can stick at SS...seems a lot of scouts aren't sold on either Montgomery or Gonzalez, although the latter is favored by most in every area head-to-head with the exception of arm strength.

We'll stick with Wetherholt here, as his bat may be the best in this class. It's a well-rounded offensive profile with an explosive swing that's direct to the baseball and power that plays to both sides of the park. There's injury concern here, as he's been plagued by hamstring issues in the past calendar year, but there's more risk with an arm and the Angels may opt for the safer option. It'll feel like a steal, too.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jj-wetherholt-guide

But hitting wasn’t always his calling card

With numbers like the ones Wetherholt has put up in college, you’d think he’s been a natural hitter all of his life. But that wasn’t the case. Instead, Wetherholt relied on secondary skills, mostly his fielding, to become a college-level player.

“I was always a pretty decent hitter growing up. I was never crazy,” Wetherholt said, via the Weirton Daily Times. “Defense was like my thing. I was really good on defense and I was really fast. I was kind of a contact hitter and I’d steal and play pretty good defense.”

Wetherholt’s high school coach, Jason Thompson, concurred.

“He had some of the fastest hands on the baseball field,” Thompson said, per the Daily Times. “I’ve seen only one ball, which took a ridiculously bad bounce, ever get by him. He was the kid you prayed every ball would be hit to. He’d make every play.”

Edited by caulfield12

12 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d be very surprised if the White Sox took Wetherholt 

Do you have a sense of who they're actually on? Speculation by the national guys seems to be "everyone." Sox system desperately needs upside bats, but I really do not want them drafting a 1b-only guy. I'd certainly rather see Wetherholt than Kurtz. The juiced ball/bat in college right now makes me somewhat skeptical of Montgomery and to some extent Caglianone (also he may not be able to play OF.) I am most intrigued by Rainer, but Sox may prefer someone who's closer in age to the group they have in AA.

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Do you have a sense of who they're actually on? Speculation by the national guys seems to be "everyone." Sox system desperately needs upside bats, but I really do not want them drafting a 1b-only guy. I'd certainly rather see Wetherholt than Kurtz. The juiced ball/bat in college right now makes me somewhat skeptical of Montgomery and to some extent Caglianone (also he may not be able to play OF.) I am most intrigued by Rainer, but Sox may prefer someone who's closer in age to the group they have in AA.

I’d be shocked if they took a 2B. They’ve been all over Griffin and Rainer. Cags and Montgomery are probably the college options. 

Posted (edited)

FSS Plus Mock 5.0

Still have the Sox on the prep bats.

https://futurestarsseries.com/2024-mlb-draft-mock-draft-5-0/

5. Chicago White Sox
Konnor Griffin, SS/OF — Jackson Prep HS
HOMETOWN: Florence, MS
HEIGHT: 6-4
WEIGHT: 205
BAT/THROW: R-R

There continues to be a ton of buzz surrounding the Chicago White Sox and high school blue chips at pick No. 5. Plenty of brass have been in to see Griffin on multiple occasions, and they seem to like him a good deal. Rainer continues to hear his name surge into this spot.

Rainer is arguably the most tooled up player in this class and he’s had an absolutely massive spring in league play. Still plenty of names in play here.

Hagen Smith falling to 12 is the absolute nuts.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do people really see the Sox passing on that kind of pitching if it drops to them?  Is Hagen asking for that much?

It might be a medical reason, the TJ he had in high school scares me and college teams aren’t known for doing what’s best for their pitchers with their high pitch counts. 

6 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

It might be a medical reason, the TJ he had in high school scares me and college teams aren’t known for doing what’s best for their pitchers with their high pitch counts. 

Wasn't Carson Fulmer a similar situation...overusage concerns?

Teammate Walker Buehler turned out to be the much better pitcher until breaking down finally.  Remains to be seen whether he can ever recapture that previous form.