Sox explore immense depth of their 7th place AAA team, make 11 transactions

bmags

Just now, bmags said:

The thing about ditching Ruiz, is yes he is bad. But bad was better than what we had in AAA. His arm is still good, and he’s been fine in AZ

Has he? Last time I checked he had given up 5 runs in 2 innings over there 

Alright, we're looking at:

• Burger/Alberto 3B
  • TA/Andrus SS
  • Andrus/Alberto 2B
  • Vaughn/Sheets 1B
  • Grandal/Zavala C
  • Benintendi LF
  • Robert CF
  • Eloy/Sheets RF, at least until Eloy is hurt, then Colas probably back up.
  • Hamilton/Haseley backup OF
  • Eloy/Sheets/Burger/Grandal DH
Edited by almagest
  • Like 2

When Giolito and Kelly come back, who is the odd man out? Aren't we carrying an extra position player? Feels kind of like Haseley has earned a spot on the roster but I'd be surprised if we called up Hamilton just to immediately send him down/DFA.

4 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Has he? Last time I checked he had given up 5 runs in 2 innings over there 

Looks like 3 runs in 8 innings to me. Watching to see if AZ fixes him - strike against Katz if so.

3 minutes ago, almagest said:

Alright, we're looking at:

• Burger/Alberto 3B
  • TA/Andrus SS
  • Andrus/Alberto 2B
  • Vaughn/Sheets 1B
  • Grandal/Zavala C
  • Benintendi LF
  • Robert CF
  • Eloy/Sheets RF, at least until Eloy is hurt, then Colas probably back up.
  • Hamilton backup OF
  • Eloy/Sheets/Burger/Grandal DH

I don’t see anything there that should strike fear in the hearts of the AL Central.

Maybe it was a bad idea to let Abreu go.  

Imagine how different that list would be if Bryce Harper was on it.

(“at least until Eloy gets hurt”, lol)

• TLR 1

7 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

2019-2022 he had a 2.59 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 3.12 FiP. Diekman other than an extreme outlier shortened season has never even been on the same planet as Bummer

I'm not advocating for Diekman, another Rick Hahn mistake, I'm just saying if Bummer wasn't owed at least $6.75 million, he'd be looking over his shoulder right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not advocating for Diekman, another Rick Hahn mistake, I'm just saying if Bummer wasn't owed at least $6.75 million, he'd be looking over his shoulder right now.

Well, yeah. I’m just saying compared to other Sox contracts the Bummer deal was relatively reasonable compared to past performance. Whereas, Diekman was a bad move the moment it was made

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

8 minutes ago, FT35 said:

11 moves.  Very revealing just how much of our active roster is interchangeable with AAA-level players at any given time.  

All those years of tanking down the drain with one AL Central championship to show for it..  Absolutely insane that Hahn and company are still employed.  This organization is completely up shi$ creek with no paddle. 

2 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Well, yeah. I’m just saying compared to other Sox contracts the Bummer deal was relatively reasonable compared to past performance. Whereas, Diekman was a bad move the moment it was made

They extended him far too early IMO. Often injured, sometimes can't throw a strike to save his life....he is LH though.

Edited by Dick Allen

Checking out other minor league OF's, Clint Frazier had a 3-4 game but is 0-8 since, Piscotty appears to have gotten hurt after one game. Queue the "he'll fit right in!" joke. Marisnick has an OPS of .811 and Victor Reyes has an OPS of .789.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

3 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Dude sporting a -0.9 WAR according to Baseball Reference. Colas turns 25 this year as well. I'm not sure he will ever amount to anything in the big leagues. 

Eh. That guy lost 2 years to the immigration process. Not like he was struggling in lower minors.

But yes he is a white Sox prospect so it is unlikely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Dude sporting a -0.9 WAR according to Baseball Reference. Colas turns 25 this year as well. I'm not sure he will ever amount to anything in the big leagues. 

He has looked pretty disappointing in the outfield. I don’t know how much of a conclusion can be drawn from a guy’s first 75 mlb at bats though. Either way I am fairly confident he will be back in the lineup before the end of the year, after the impending fire sale gets going

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

6 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So the guy with a total of 1 whole season of minor league experience in the states, is already being considered a potential bust? C'mon man...

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

He's had a whopping 1 year in the minor leagues.

If 27-year-old Jake Burger is being proclaimed as the team's future after the absolute hell he battled through, Oscar Colas can be given the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1