Sox @ Dodgers 9:10

Vote4Pedro

Well, to be honest, that is more like the game I expect to see when I stay up late for a West Coast contest....blow a lead and get walked off. Seen that more times than I care to remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

What a dumb, incompetent selfish team.  Crappy manager and everybody wants to be the sole hero swinging for the fences, when we only need to make contact or get a base bit.

I was totally disgusted by our hitters after they scored the fourth run on. Absolutely nobody cared to win the game unless they happened to connect for a HR. Even in this modern age you'd think somebody would care so much about winning they'd agree to hitting a single once in a while. Singles are extinct. After tonight they should cut bait with Pedro. It's time. Seems like a nice guy, let him go to AAA or AA and do something.

Too many games, this team just plays scared. They expect to lose and stop playing the game. The difference in Eloy’s first two ABs and the last couple is just the clearest example.

However, kudos to Graveman and Bummer to get the Sox the extra innings. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not if his name was Bo Jackson.

I didn't see the play but if an outfielder has a chance to catch it he better get his ass after it and throw the ball back in to the cutoff man ..you just never know when a player that's tagging trips or slips or leaves the bag too early.  

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I was totally disgusted by our hitters after they scored the fourth run on. Absolutely nobody cared to win the game unless they happened to connect for a HR. Even in this modern age you'd think somebody would care so much about winning they'd agree to hitting a single once in a while. Singles are extinct. After tonight they should cut bait with Pedro. It's time. Seems like a nice guy, let him go to AAA or AA and do something.

Agree.  Singles have become like the 2 point shot in basketball…few practitioners.  In basketballs is bombs away with 3 pt shot and in baseball swing for the fences analogous to the 3 pointer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan Pasqua said:

I didn't see the play but if an outfielder has a chance to catch it he better get his ass after it and throw the ball back in to the cutoff man ..you just never know when a player that's tagging trips or slips or leaves the bag too early.  

Robert sending a message how bored he is. I would prefer Elly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tray said:

Not sure what Andrus was thinking trying a double steal. Was that Grifol's call?  Really foolish getting caught on the oldest catcher trick in the book. Probably cost us the game.

It's doing these dumb little things that cost Sox games. Good teams execute and make sure they make the routine plays. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcq said:

Robert sending a message how bored he is. I would prefer Elly. 

Come on........we are really going to get on Robert for not going after that ball.  Whats the point.

He's literally playing 70 feet behind 2nd base ...........the ball landed few feet from warning track

There is many more issues to get after this team for.....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I just don't understand how any call that can easily be proven to be wrong by replay is not reviewable. If a manager wants to use a challenge on a play, let him do it. That foul tip was obvious when you look at the replay.  If I recall correctly when Len read out the umpire crew, the guy behind the plate was a call up from AAA and he clearly just missed that one. I can see limiting the number of replays if the requests were unlimited but when a manager has 1 to use, let them use it and lose it if they are wrong.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Yeah, his fastball has little movement and the loss of velo makes it very hittable. His secondary pitches aren’t very good either. I just don’t see how anyone can expect the dude to be a starter in the future when he’s never thrown over 70 innings in college or the pros. 

I agree with you on all your points. However that is why once again Rick Hahn and his dysfunctional FO made a horrible decision not keeping Crochet down at Charlotte to finish the season there, or least stay down there longer to be stretched it out and improved properly. 

The two most important things we should have been working on with Crochet in Charlotte were:

1. Stretching him out to be a starter. Building up his strength more and not rushing him up.

2. Helping him develop another couple of pitches, as well as refining his once explosive fastball and slider, which have fallen off dramatically.

The Sox weren't going to be good this year and the bottom line is, the #1 draft pick and the potential of a future quality starter, should have been taken more seriously with a specific detailed plan to further develop both his strength and quality of multiple pitches for him to use.

• Hawk 1

2 hours ago, Highland said:

It's doing these dumb little things that cost Sox games. Good teams execute and make sure they make the routine plays. 

You're right this team has been a selfish and poor fundamental and situational hitting team. Yes the players are partly responsible for being really dumb players, but more of the blame is on this pathetic manager and coaching staff that is not covering these fundamentals and situational baseball skills repetitively. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Raw skills doesn’t make them good players unfortunately.  

No they don't. Yet Crochet had elite raw skills! It is absolutely a massive failure on this totally inept organization that failed to get Crochet to his full potential.

This is what the great teams do when they draft talented players. Hence why our farm system is ranked 26th this year and was 29th last year. 

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Come on........we are really going to get on Robert for not going after that ball.  Whats the point.

He's literally playing 70 feet behind 2nd base ...........the ball landed few feet from warning track

Yeah, Robert is darn good CF. He knew that hit was a winner the minute it left the bat. Like you said, so many other issues… like how this team just shrinks from pressure or adversity… and it’s not just one player. It’s virtually everyone. At some point you have to question the tone and belief system instilled on this team. They expect to fail and lose. Why?

I have been saying for more than a month Grifol needed to go. Not all his fault but instilling a winning culture (which this team has needed from day 1) is a tough lift for a rookie manager. Seems right now everything is about ‘preparation.’ I would like to see more thought in how this team is going to consistently win games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Agree.  Robert I s the least of our worries.

On the Robert thing not going after it…

is it nitpicking? Maybe

should he have gone after it? Yes. Why? Because that’s what big leaguers do. Go try to catch the ball. Throw it in on off chance the runner leaves early and then the game is probably over.

You try to catch it for the same reason why outfielders run back on a no doubter homer. It’s just what you do. 

• Like 1

The White Sox have too many stars of what would be a combine, and not enough guys who are just baseball players. They need several guys who understand and really know how to play and win a game. They might not be the fastest or have the most range or the best arm or be able to hit the ball the farthest, but they beat you because they don't make mistakes and stay disciplined.  All these losses are so predictable because you see them over and over again. A baseball intelligent team doesn't have this happen continuously. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox have too many stars of what would be a combine, and not enough guys who are just baseball players. They need several guys who understand and really know how to play and win a game. They might not be the fastest or have the most range or the best arm or be able to hit the ball the farthest, but they beat you because they don't make mistakes and stay disciplined.  All these losses are so predictable because you see them over and over again. A baseball intelligent team doesn't have this happen continuously. 

The Sox have been "baseball-stupid" in regards to fundamentals for years. Every year we hear/read the same crap in spring training, "we're working on it," "we're devoting a lot of time to fundamentals."

But when they season starts the stupidity comes to the forefront.

Nothing changes.  

• Like 1

• Kyyle23 locked and unpinned this topic