Red Sox at White Sox, 6/23/23, 7:10 pm CDT.

Balta1701

Just now, Heads22 said:

Man I knew Seby wasn't hitting well but that batting average isn't defensible 

Someone the other day said it was worth his partnerships with two starters to have him out there with a  .000 BAA, but they were apparently Hahn-washed to tolerate something not even equating to mediocrity. 

Unless we're going to continue to define that concept (further) downwards. 

6 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Man I knew Seby wasn't hitting well but that batting average isn't defensible 

One large reason they have struggled to score runs is Zeby, Burger, Andrus, and Sheets having been playing a lot at the same time. They all really offer nothing to merit being in the lineup every day, especially Sheets who does nothing well. 

Edited by CBJ03

DeLaCruz cycle already in six innings. 

First cycle since I think Gary Redus a Bedtime Story in 1985. 

(Yet another former Sox outfielder.  Was actually Eric Davis and Frank Robinson since 1941.) 

11-7

Reds baseball is the NCAA Tournament everyday lol. 

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Someone the other day said it was worth his partnerships with two starters to have him out there with a  .000 BAA, but they were apparently Hahn-washed to tolerate something not even equating to mediocrity. 

Unless we're going to continue to define that concept (further) downwards. 

It's not about tolerating anything, it is about accepting reality that the Sox have only one legitimate catcher at the ML level. I'd take 0 for 4 and avoid dozens of dropped balls, passed balls, horrendous game management, pitchers able to throw breaking balls, etc.. 

Far more important to have a functional catcher than worry about 3-4 at bats. It's why Yermin never caught here.

3 minutes ago, CBJ03 said:

One large reason they have struggled to score runs is Zeby, Burger, Andrus, and Sheets having been playing a lot at the same time. They all really offer nothing to merit being in the lineup every day, especially Sheets who does nothing well. 

If he changed his name from Seby to Zeby he might get his average back up to .175 at least. 

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

It's not about tolerating anything, it is about accepting reality that the Sox have only one legitimate catcher at the ML level. I'd take 0 for 4 and avoid dozens of dropped balls, passed balls, horrendous game management, pitchers able to throw breaking balls, etc.. 

Far more important to have a functional catcher than worry about 3-4 at bats. It's why Yermin never caught here.

It also feels cruel to me singling out Seby when ~2/3s of tonight's lineup is replacement level caliber talent. There's just so much dead weight here why fixate on a backup catcher when that position league-wide is universally terrible.

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And you can surely afford to do that when you have the Astros' line up from 2014-2022. 

Not going to argue about White Sox collecting more DHs who can't put up 800 or even 700 OPS numbers... we have Sheets there now too. 

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

And you can surely afford to do that when you have the Astros' line up from 2014-2022. 

Not going to argue about White Sox collecting more DHs who can't put up 800 or even 700 OPS numbers... we have Sheets there now too. 

Grandal is not a playable catcher on a winning team, period.

The Dodgers benched his ass in the playoffs because he is not a ML catcher, and he has only regressed with age and health since.

This is why this was a bad signing since day one, period.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It also feels cruel to me singling out Seby when ~2/3s of tonight's lineup is replacement level caliber talent. There's just so much dead weight here why fixate on a backup catcher when that position league-wide is universally terrible.

Probably because JR KW and Grifol threads are getting boring. 

Hahn-washing continues to the point where full apathy sets in or you're stuck arguing about the journeymen of all journeymen. 

We already kicked Leury and Alberto out and still have approximately half the roster left to go. 

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Grandal is not a playable catcher on a winning team, period.

The Dodgers benched his ass in the playoffs because he is not a ML catcher, and he has only regressed with age and health since.

This is why this was a bad signing since day one, period.

That was only five years ago, too. 

Of course the Dodgers' roster is also an embarrassment of riches. 

Will Smith today is one of the best catchers...they dealt the blocked Keibert Ruiz and still have Cartaya. 

Edited by caulfield12