6/26 - White Sox recall OF Adam Haseley from Charlotte, option Jose Rodriguez to Birmingham

South Side Hit Men

Adam can adequately play CF to rest Robert for a game or in a blowout, hope they rest Robert once on the road trip and once at home before the ASB, especially if he is attending the ASG.

In other news, Tim Anderson has returned to Shortstop, batting 2nd tonight in Anaheim. Frazier is the right fielder.

It appears the Eloy RF experiment may be over (last start Game One, June 8 in The Bronx), or at least until the next White Sox injury.

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

So we took Rodriguez away from some encouraging development in the minors to come up and pinch run once?  

He was only called up because Sosa was on the IL and Popeye was already on the 40 man. 

7 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

And cost him development time while it seemed like something may have been clicking for him.  If you just need a warm body, call up a warm body.

Here are their infielders on the 40 man. Who else should they have called up? They were hancuffed with who they could call up without having to make another transaction. He missed a week of playing time, not a month. 

Capture.PNG

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CBJ03 said:

Here are their infielders on the 40 man. Who else should they have called up? They were hancuffed with who they could call up without having to make another transaction. He missed a week of playing time, not a month. 

Capture.PNG

It didn’t really have to be an infielder since they had no intention of actually playing him.

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

But even they can tear up the minors. I know that because we watch someone like Sosa do it on the regular only to be the worst player ever in the majors.

And it's a disservice to their confidence and development to bring up guys under 23 or 24 beyond a September Call Up reward unless they have established a significant level of progression through the AAA level. These guys have been rushed because year after year Hahn has failed to sign legitimate starting 2B and RFers as well as solid roster depth and flexibility.

17 Age 23 or less have a 0.5 + fWAR YTD, 28 total with 0.1 +. 29 Total Hitters throughout the MLB have over 77 Plate Appearances YTD at age 23 or less. and 43 total have 1 or more.

Minor League Players brought up without proper development:

• Oscar Colas (Age 24) - One American Year, 117 Total Minor League Games Played, 7 Games Played in AAA Charlotte
  • Lenyn Sosa (Age 23) - 2021 promoted from A+ and played 35 total games at AA. 2022 62 Games Played at AA, 57 Games at AAA Charlotte.
  • Jose Rodriguez (Age 22) - 2021 78 Games at A, 29 Games at A+, 6 Games at AA. 2022 104 Games at AA.

This is not the proper way to manage a major league franchise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He had a .700 OPS in AA. Not really sure he deserved playing time. That's not grifol's fault.

Jose had a horrible start to the season coming back from a broken hamate. The last month he was more of the player we were accustomed to seeing, an .888 OPS and a 132 wRC+. 

3 hours ago, CBJ03 said:

Capture.PNG

I understand the 40man aspect of it, but I think their point was if they literally just wanted to call someone up as a warm body on the bench, why not call up literally anyone else (like Erik Gonzalez or Yolbert) and just DFA them when/if you need the spot? They didn't need to promote him to sit on his ass  for a week while he was in a groove at the plate in Birmingham. 

3 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He had a .700 OPS in AA. Not really sure he deserved playing time. That's not grifol's fault.

You still give the kid an AB or a game over garbage ass players like Remellard or Andrus.  You don't know how many chances you'll ever get as a kid to ever have that chance. But I guess since everyone had s%*# baseball careers like Grifol, then everyone should suffer.

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Jose had a horrible start to the season coming back from a broken hamate. The last month he was more of the player we were accustomed to seeing, an .888 OPS and a 132 wRC+. 

I understand the 40man aspect of it, but I think their point was if they literally just wanted to call someone up as a warm body on the bench, why not call up literally anyone else (like Erik Gonzalez or Yolbert) and just DFA them when/if you need the spot? They didn't need to promote him to sit on his ass  for a week while he was in a groove at the plate in Birmingham. 

My guess isn’t they didn’t want to deplete their organizational depth for a couple appearances. Though losing Erik Gonzalez would be mostly a nothing burger, he does play nearly everyday in Charlotte. Definitely understand the angle, just doesn’t seem to be as big of a deal as some folks are making. Certainly not directed at you Sleepy, but feel that most that got worked up on it didn’t really understand the roster nuances. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

My guess isn’t they didn’t want to deplete their organizational depth for a couple appearances. Though losing Erik Gonzalez would be mostly a nothing burger, he does play nearly everyday in Charlotte. Definitely understand the angle, just doesn’t seem to be as big of a deal as some folks are making. Certainly not directed at you Sleepy, but feel that most that got worked up on it didn’t really understand the roster nuances. 

Oh for sure, I get why they did it in theory, I just think it was poor handling. José got a nice paybump for a week so I'm happy for him there. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, the only reasons I can think of to call up a guy like Rodriguez are:

• You're going to use the guy regularly
    ---OR---
  • You're giving a young guy a glimpse of what happens at the big league level, how big leaguers conduct themselves, and what sort of behaviors you're going to have to demonstrate to be a successful big league player on and off the field.

...so yeah. In this case, I have no idea why they would have called him up.

1 hour ago, JoeC said:

I mean, the only reasons I can think of to call up a guy like Rodriguez are:

• You're going to use the guy regularly
    ---OR---
  • You're giving a young guy a glimpse of what happens at the big league level, how big leaguers conduct themselves, and what sort of behaviors you're going to have to demonstrate to be a successful big league player on and off the field.

...so yeah. In this case, I have no idea why they would have called him up.

Its pretty simple really.  He was on the only healthy IF on the 40 man.  That's all there is to it.