6/30 - Sox @ Vegas A’s of Oakland: 840CT

ChiSox59

Hope you surpass the longest winning streak of the season @ChiSox59!

The A's are not Vegas yet, and I (and many owners) hope it falls through (the latter to keep open Vegas as an expansion market).

The Monday loss requires the Sox to sweep to finish the road trip 5-2. Oakland is a AAA team with two good hitters. The Sox will need to get through possibly two bullpen games (Kopech's normal slot is listed as TBD as of now) and three RH starters.

The Sox need the Cubs, Orioles and White Sox to sweep to be 1 1/2 behind Cleveland and Minnesota before returning to Chicago.

Chicago White Sox at Oakland

• 8:40 PM Friday: Banks/Scholtens vs. RHP Funky Cold Medina 1-7 6.84
  • 3:07 PM Saturday: RHP Cease 3-3 4.04 vs. RHP Kaprielian 2-6 6.34 
  • 3:07 PM Sunday; TBD vs. RHP Blackburn 1-0 3.77

Cleveland at Chicago Cubs 

• 1:20 PM Friday: RHP Quantrill 2-4 5.61 vs. LHP Steele 8-2 2.62
  • 6:15 PM Saturday: RHP Bibee 4-2 3.79 vs. RHP Stroman 9-5 2.47
  • 1:20 PM Sunday: RHP Civale 2-2 3.18 vs. RHP Taillon 2-6 6.90

Minnesota at Baltimore

• 6:05 PM Friday: RHP Lopez 3-5 4.41 vs. RHP Kremer 8-3 4.50
  • 3:05 PM Saturday: RHP Ober 4-4 2.97 vs. RHP Bradish 4-3 3.75
  • 11:05 AM Sunday: RHP Gray 4-2 2.67 vs. LHP Irvin 1-3 7.18
  • Thanks 1

So likely Banks to Scholtens tonight I would assume, and then Touki on Sunday?  

Thankfully an off day on Monday because the pen could be fried after this weekend.  Hopefully Sox can win a laugher or two in Oakland. 

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

We should be able to petition the league to move all Oakland games to 4 pm start times on the west coast because the league has decided they don’t care about that team 

Don't care as much since it's a weekend series but yeah that would help. Even like an 8:05 game. With the pitch clock, that's done at like 10:30.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So likely Banks to Scholtens tonight I would assume, and then Touki on Sunday?  

Thankfully an off day on Monday because the pen could be fried after this weekend.  Hopefully Sox can win a laugher or two in Oakland. 

White Sox get in a great spot to build some positive momentum against a very lousy A's team and and we have to spend two of the games with no true SP.

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

White Sox get in a great spot to build some positive momentum against a very lousy A's team and and we have to spend two of the games with no true SP.

Just like the 2020 playoffs. Seems like old times.

Games 2 + 3 = 2 Starters, 4 Total Innings, 5 Runs, 2 HRs, 1 Loss.

https-3A-2F-2Fsouthsideshowdown-com-2Fwp

"That's what I love about being Jerry's GM, man. I get older, but the roster stays the same."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah.  Honestly, Scholtens has been good and Touki has been very interesting.  Both those dudes might be making regular starts for the Sox in a month.  I am cool with it - I'd rather them pitch in Oakland then at home against Toronto.  

But I definitely hear you - this is a series that (if you want the Sox to make things interesting) they kind of need to sweep, or worst case 2/3. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to be the contrarian here, but the Sox bats better stay alive like the last two games and not go to sleep, like when their bats often go dormant. 

I know the A's are the worst team in baseball. However if you take the A's for granted, they can beat you. Go check back in early June when the A's went to the Brewers and swept them. They followed that up the next series at home and shocked the Rays by taking the first two games and splitting the series 2-2. I'm just saying, if the Sox bats go soft like they have shown us they are very capable of, it might not be pretty.

On the positive side, if the Sox are going to prove they want to win the division, then they need to sweep the A's. I realize we probably have two bullpen starts. However the A's are the worst pitching staff with the 30th ERA of 6.08. There is no excuse why the Sox can't and shouldn't put up big run totals in each game and sweep them. Additionally the Twins have a tough three game series with the Orioles at Baltimore and the Guardians play the Cubs at Wrigley. The Cubs have their two best pitchers going in game 1 and 2 with Steele and Stroman who are having all-star seasons. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Prior to the season, if you told me the Sox would be 4 1/2 games back on the last day of June I probably would've thought "ok, not ideal but doable".

Then add to that oh yeah they are also 36-47 "WTF!!!"

Comedy Central indeed....hat tip to @Greg Hibbard

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, T R U said:

That's the White Sox way! 

Pitchers go down left and right today but Hahn decided over the winter that depth in the rotation wouldn't be needed. Davis Martin will save the day!!!!!!!.....oh, wait...😆

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

Like South Side said I hope the A's can remain in Oakland. But LV does deserve an expansion team

That being said, we need to take 2 of 3 

Dare I root for the cubs this weekend??

Why do people want to A's to stay in Oakland? Even when that team is good people still don't go to the games.

28 minutes ago, T R U said:

Why do people want to A's to stay in Oakland? Even when that team is good people still don't go to the games.

"But baseball belongs in Oakland, for history and such!!"

Yeah? Well then tell people to go to the games. The public can't force an ownership change, sorry, so you either go and support the team with money/attendance, or you lose the team. That is how it works, whether the folks in Oakland or the 'baseball purists' like it or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

"But baseball belongs in Oakland, for history and such!!"

Yeah? Well then tell people to go to the games. The public can't force an ownership change, sorry, so you either go and support the team with money/attendance, or you lose the team. That is how it works, whether the folks in Oakland or the 'baseball purists' like it or not.

Bro, by this logic the Sox should move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i realize that Oakland is considered the ugly step sister of SF, but I always thought that if the A's had decent ownership and a better venue they would at least be a viable force in the Bay area. Vegas would support a MLB team but lets hope its an expansion team down the road. Maybe Oakland can pull a rabbit out of its hat like the one baseball team did in Chicago back in the 80's (doubtful but can hope!)

• Thanks 1

Las Vegas area population is pretty small. A's would have it all to themselves. Would people go to Vegas when their team 

is in town? I don't really know. Maybe being an expansion team with no baggage would be better. 

54 minutes ago, zisk said:

Las Vegas area population is pretty small. A's would have it all to themselves. Would people go to Vegas when their team 

is in town? I don't really know. Maybe being an expansion team with no baggage would be better. 

If hockey worked in Vegas (and it has...swimmingly)...baseball will work just fine assuming they do the stadium right.  Knowing Vegas, they'll do the stadium right.  I think Vegas will be an incredible spot for an MLB team.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zisk said:

I will 1000% go to Vegas, when the Sox are there. You also couldn't pay me to go to Oakland, when the Sox are there. And if the stadium goes where they proposed, where the current Tropicana is, that will be an amazing experience. Its going to suck even more to drive the strip, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Kyyle23 pinned this topic
  • Capn12 unpinned this topic