7/9: Cards @ Sox: Matz vs. Giolito, 1:10 CT

Capn12

You can't ask for a more perfect ending to the first half.

Look like s%*# against a garbage starting pitcher.

Then urinate away another late lead (for the 12th time in the 7th inning or later) and lose the game.

🤡

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

This has to be the most uncaring, lifeless and dumbest team in baseball. 

5 hits, 2 BB's 15 K's.

Why Sox fans in the second half will continue to go to watch them play just boggles my mind. 

Exactly. This offense has done nothing all year. St. Louis had only two runs going into ninth and yet they won. Tim has been bad, but other than Robert, no one in that lineup has done anything. Yes, Burger can hit the ball a long way when he hits it. But he has to hit it first. Same for Sheets. This offense is, at the very least, lifeless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember when a few members (including @Y2Jimmy0) absolutely ripped me for saying this front office wouldn’t build a winner in November of 2021 with their awful track record of MLB scouting. 2 years later and it sounds as though it is coming to an end, many years too late. Can’t wait for a front office that doesn’t blow money on shitty relievers. I get to victory lap, but our “window” was a huge waste of time. 

Edited by whitesoxwinner
  • Like 4
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, fathom said:

You know damn well he’s gonna make sure it’s someone that will own a team the way he believes a team should be owned

With all due respect, I don't think that is how this will play out. I don't think JR is going to sell the team before he dies. Maybe at some point if his health and cognitive skills fail him badly per Alzheimer or Dementia, he might turn it over to his son Michael. 

Even if JR was still alive and changed his mind to sell, he does not have the luxury to have a sit-down meeting with each billionaire who bids trying to determine their ownership philosophies. Plus once there is an accepted bid, the other 23 of 29 owners have to approve the sale. They are not making decisions to accommodate Jerry. Jerry might have had some influence many years ago, but I don't think he has the respect or support of most owners today...especially after the dumb comments he made about how many of the owners are so dumb and Jerry couldn't believe how they were ever able to buy a team.

Plus, based on how much the Sox will be sold for, there won't be any billionaire bidders wanting to buy the Sox to just run it with ignorance and stupidity as Jerry has. Rich owners coming in today will want to win. The cost to buy a baseball team today is so exorbitant, that they will only spend that type of money because they have the money and they want a wining baseball team. Look at the last sale of the New York Mets with Cohen. Regardless whether he is a successful owner yet or not is irrelevant. The fact is, Cohen wants to win at all costs and is willing to spend ridiculous money as opposed to the loser Reinsdorf. With the huge valuations of teams today, that is how the new owner profile will look. 

The day this Sox team is sold will be a very special and happy day in my life, as well as for tons of other loyal die-hard fans who have been blatantly screwed for too many years. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, whitesoxwinner said:

I remember when a few members (including @Y2Jimmy) absolutely ripped me for saying this front office wouldn’t build a winner in November of 2021 with their awful track record of MLB scouting. 2 years later and it sounds as though it is coming to an end, many years too late. Can’t wait for a front office that doesn’t blow money on shitty relievers. I get to victory lap, but our “window” was a huge waste of time. 

The good news is, there is not one person on SoxTalk in 2023 that will ever rip you again when you say that this FO led by Hahn, won't ever bring a wining playoff team to Chicago.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

There will be many others following your same feelings, if Jerry continues to not give a s%*# and keep allowing Rick Hahn in charge. 

We, as fans, have no other choice but to feel this way. Other than not going to games, we can do nothing else, and even a fan boycott won't change anything. In the end, we will only be called disloyal, and the idiocy will only continue. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Highland said:

We, as fans, have no other choice but to feel this way. Other than not going to games, we can do nothing else, and even a fan boycott won't change anything. In the end, we will only be called disloyal, and the idiocy will only continue. 

You're absolutely right and that really sucks for us fans, being so loyal to this team. It's so terribly wrong in how poorly Jerry has run this team and blatantly screwed the fan base.

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You can't ask for a more perfect ending to the first half.

Look like s%*# against a garbage starting pitcher.

Then urinate away another late lead (for the 12th time in the 7th inning or later) and lose the game.

🤡

Race to the bottom Sox are winning!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Does JR even attend these games,? Does he look at the box score? Or just the Profit/Loss statement for the game?

According to the newspaper stories he is at the games up in his box most of the time. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He's not selling and sadly he no longer cares about winning.  I used to give him the benefit of the doubt but now I have to root for death for someone to hopefully put this idiot Rick Hahn out of work. 

If Hahn were fired tomorrow I'd be ok with JR running the team.  Hahn make Gar Foremen look like Jerry West. 

I’m of the mind that Jerry West would be a better GM for this team than Rick Hahn. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Then how can he stand it? His name is associated with this nonsense.

He can stand it because he's making $$$$$$$$$$ and his ego won't allow him to admit the folks he has hired to run the club are failures. 

• Hawk 1

30 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I assume that the "bunt" wasn't of the sacrifice variety, but of the "I think I can beat it out" variety, that just wasn't well-placed.

Fegan wrote in his post game story for the Sun-Times that the bunt was done on his own, didn't come from the manager.

And like the vast majority of things the Sox try to do it blew up in their faces. 

5 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

With all due respect, I don't think that is how this will play out. I don't think JR is going to sell the team before he dies. Maybe at some point if his health and cognitive skills fail him badly per Alzheimer or Dementia, he might turn it over to his son Michael. 

Even if JR was still alive and changed his mind to sell, he does not have the luxury to have a sit-down meeting with each billionaire who bids trying to determine their ownership philosophies. Plus once there is an accepted bid, the other 23 of 29 owners have to approve the sale. They are not making decisions to accommodate Jerry. Jerry might have had some influence many years ago, but I don't think he has the respect or support of most owners today...especially after the dumb comments he made about how many of the owners are so dumb and Jerry couldn't believe how they were ever able to buy a team.

Plus, based on how much the Sox will be sold for, there won't be any billionaire bidders wanting to buy the Sox to just run it with ignorance and stupidity as Jerry has. Rich owners coming in today will want to win. The cost to buy a baseball team today is so exorbitant, that they will only spend that type of money because they have the money and they want a wining baseball team. Look at the last sale of the New York Mets with Cohen. Regardless whether he is a successful owner yet or not is irrelevant. The fact is, Cohen wants to win at all costs and is willing to spend ridiculous money as opposed to the loser Reinsdorf. With the huge valuations of teams today, that is how the new owner profile will look. 

The day this Sox team is sold will be a very special and happy day in my life, as well as for tons of other loyal die-hard fans who have been blatantly screwed for too many years. 

It’s good to remember that Jerry bought the Sox for $19 million back in the day.  He has a huge equity on this asset, But has not invested properly to make it a winning organization.  He is not selling because he does not need the money, particularly at his age. iMO.

18 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

It’s good to remember that Jerry bought the Sox for $19 million back in the day.  He has a huge equity on this asset, But has not invested properly to make it a winning organization.  He is not selling because he does not need the money, particularly at his age. iMO.

He's not selling because of the capital gains and Illinois state tax hit, it would be very very significant:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/8/29/23325369/jerry-reinsdorf-selling-chicago-white-sox-not-on-his-life

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, superchops70 said:

Would love to think there'd be a manager firing and some player shake ups but I don't think anyone in the front office cares about that. As long as they're making a few bucks that's all that matters.

Could make a lot more if they dumped payroll. I would if profit was the goal.