Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers

Sleepy Harold

35 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hate the idea of this team trying to develop a catcher. Honestly, I think using first round picks and best trade chips on minor league catchers is such a waste. I’d rather just sign cheap defensive first guys in free agency.

I wouldn’t recommend looking at the upcoming free agent catcher list.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But this trade and giving Lucas 5/$125 aren’t mutually exclusive.  We can go out and sign him if we really want to.  Regardless, this team is almost certainly going to suck next year or two with or without Lucas.  I think most of us have come to reality on that, but apparently some posters haven’t yet accepted we have an awful fucking team and farm system that isn’t going to magically rebound next year by maintaining the status quo.

The point is Lucas should be signed by now, it should not have gotten to this point, and now they Sox are going to be replacing a starter regardless.   They got no player that they can confidently say will be in the majors next season, and even if they do we are looking at a period of struggle like we already went through with Giolito.  You wanna be happy about the prospects, fine, golf clap.  I’m pissed about everything leading up to it, the fact that they got this out of the way first so they could concentrate on dealing lynn(good old Bruce said that on the score 20 minutes ago), and they traded with a team with almost as bad as a farm as our own

• Fire 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

They’re not rebuilding. Trading the expiring contracts and maybe 1 or 2 guys controlled through next year and maybe a surprise deal like Burger is about it.

They are rebuilding.  There is exactly one legitimately really good position player on the roster and they have one legitimate starting pitcher for next year.  They are going to be absolutely terrible. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

They are rebuilding.  There is exactly one legitimately really good position player on the roster and they have one legitimate starting pitcher for next year.  They are going to be absolutely terrible. 

Jerry isn’t signing off on another rebuild man. They’re going to hope guys can bounce back and sign a few others to 1-2 year deals and “go for it.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Jerry isn’t signing off on another rebuild man. They’re going to hope guys can bounce back and sign a few others to 1-2 year deals and “go for it.”

They can pitch it however they want but this is a rebuild.  The roster is absolutely horrendous for next year and they aren’t going to increase salary so they are rebuilding.  Anderson is the only bounce back candidate as well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They aren’t calling it a rebuild but it is.  Jerry doesn’t care.  Why would he?  He has his money.  Shed some payroll 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

They aren’t calling it a rebuild but it is.  Jerry doesn’t care.  Why would he?  He has his money.  Shed some payroll 

I would say a rebuild is trading off the more valuable assets (well, just Cease and Robert lol). I think they’re just getting the best they can for the expiring deals, as they should be 21 games under .500.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I would say a rebuild is trading off the more valuable assets (well, just Cease and Robert lol). I think they’re just getting the best they can for the expiring deals, as they should be 21 games under .500.

They have to rebuild to a contending team.  They are back to 2019 square one.  They had Abreu as their little torch carrier through that and probably are dumb enough to think Luis would be happy to do the same thing 

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Exactly. He won’t want another 2-3 year tear down.

Do you honestly believe this tiger is changing its stripes.  Like deep down you honestly believe the owner of this team is about to go for it

like, say it out loud “Jerry is about to spend money and go for it” and see if you can finish the sentence with a straight face

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If he really cared about winning, he would have foregone his typical budgetary discipline and spent wildly this off season while he had an open window.

People can call if whatever they want, this doesn't look like a team poised to compete next year.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The point is Lucas should be signed by now, it should not have gotten to this point, and now they Sox are going to be replacing a starter regardless.   They got no player that they can confidently say will be in the majors next season, and even if they do we are looking at a period of struggle like we already went through with Giolito.  You wanna be happy about the prospects, fine, golf clap.  I’m pissed about everything leading up to it, the fact that they got this out of the way first so they could concentrate on dealing lynn(good old Bruce said that on the score 20 minutes ago), and they traded with a team with almost as bad as a farm as our own

You may have missed my many posts in the “Fire Rick Hahn” thread.  I hate that dude, I hate KW (slightly less than Rick), and I hate Jerry.  We are fucked forever with those guys at helm, but until they’re gone I still will hope we do smart things in isolation.  Once the determination was made to not extend Lucas, the smart move was trading him.  Rick actually got a solid return which isn’t all that surprising because Lucas was a Hahn proof asset in this market.  These latter statements can all be true while also acknowledging Rick is the worst GM in baseball.

Also, this “the Angels system sucks” commentary is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  We got two of their best prospects.  Their entire farm system ranking is irrelevant.  Imagine if we traded Montgomery & Schultz for a rental SP not named Ohtani - think any seller would be unhappy with that because our overall farm is garbage?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you honestly believe this tiger is changing its stripes.  Like deep down you honestly believe the owner of this team is about to go for it

like, say it out loud “Jerry is about to spend money and go for it” and see if you can finish the sentence with a straight face

Well, their version of go for it that we've seen time and time again, yes. No where have I said they are going to sign big free agents because they aren't going to do that either. They're going to run it back with most of the guys still here and probably 1-2 year deal type guys that end up being more filler than actually good.

Edit: for the record, I'm team "trade Cease and completely rebuild" (should happen with a different regime though) but I just know they won't. What I want and what I think will happen are 2 different things.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You may have missed my many posts in the “Fire Rick Hahn” thread.  I hate that dude, I hate KW (slightly less than Rick), and I hate Jerry.  We are fucked forever with those guys at helm, but until they’re gone I still will hope we do smart things in isolation.  Once the determination was made to not extend Lucas, the smart move was trading him.  Rick actually got a solid return which isn’t all that surprising because Lucas was a Hahn proof asset in this market.  These latter statements can all be true while also acknowledging Rick is the worst GM in baseball.

Also, this “the Angels system sucks” commentary is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  We got two of their best prospects.  Their entire farm system ranking is irrelevant.  Imagine if we traded Montgomery & Schultz for a rental SP not named Ohtani - think any seller would be unhappy with that because our overall farm is garbage?

This is right.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think either of these guys compare to Monty or Schultz and the more I read on Quero the more I’m thinking closer to Mark Johnson than Narvaez.  And honestly it’s hard for me to trust the Sox farm system to get them where they need to be, so it actually isn’t meaningless to me that their farm system sucks because they have similar issues developing players and now the Sox have to carry that load.  I was looking for players on the cusp of being in the majors and they got players they need to develop

• Like 1

These fools know that it doesn't take much to compete and get that carrot back out there in this division.  I think Hahn is gone because the carrot is gone.  There is no draw for fans and second place is not on the horizon. 

Does the media ever question hahn?  I don't listen to his press conferences but is there ever any questioning of his inability to do his job? 

• Like 1

I have Quero in the 70s just ahead of Schultz in my prospect rankings for Fantasy baseball (pretty good correlation). However after sleeping on this, I am not exactly a fan of this bc trading for a catcher at any level (bigs or minors) is the absolute worst thing to do. Now if that was literally the best offer we could get for 2 months of Gio then ill take it as both Quero and Bush do have proxmity and decent ceilings going for them.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think either of these guys compare to Monty or Schultz and the more I read on Quero the more I’m thinking closer to Mark Johnson than Narvaez.  And honestly it’s hard for me to trust the Sox farm system to get them where they need to be, so it actually isn’t meaningless to me that their farm system sucks because they have similar issues developing players and now the Sox have to carry that load.  I was looking for players on the cusp of being in the majors and they got players they need to develop

Only hope is that grifol can actually do this and he is reassigned in the organization.  Probably a bit robust thinking for this clown car. 

58 minutes ago, Baron said:

The good news about this trade is we have our future 1st baseman/DH in this trade when he fails to develop at catcher. 

Maybe they'll try him out outfield for a bit too. 

This, from what im reading hes not going to stick at catcher. Hahn just loves those 1b/dh types

• Fire 1

• Quin changed the title to Giolito & Reynaldo to LAA. Update: Angels put on waivers
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic