Rick Hahn addresses The Weekend

South Side Hit Men

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

@Chick Mercedes

I believe Hahn mentioned this once at the Fourth of July 'scrum", where most people were celebrating family and other things rather than pay attention to Sox baseball. And Pedro said he was holding players accountable a few times over the past month, that there would be changes and so forth just before the deadline.

I remember as well. Pedro had a different tone going back about 6 weeks ago - I call it the, if I am going to go down, I’m going down my way tone. 

Honestly - if the above is what HAhn said - I really can’t argue the way he responded to those questions. As Tex said - If he were a first year GM I would have gave him kudos for how he handled it. Problem is he has been here like 10 years and the club sucks. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For what its worth I just heard back from a longtime source who has had connections with the White Sox for decades in a professional position. They know what has been going on:

"Really is a mess.

The powers that be continue to put a spin on it that they have been aware of the issues. That may be true but they continue to do nothing about it.

The incompetency is unreal, yet they continue to have jobs.

Really sad and I feel for a handful of people who are still there and have to deal with it. Front office morale is brutal. They continue to nickel and dime people and I know of a good number of very loyal fans that are done with their season tickets. Truly a shame." 

It’s unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Couple points to consider:

Middleton doubled down on his comments tonight to the media and Lance Lynn in L.A. confirmed what Middleton said on A.J.'s podcast along with telling the media in L.A. the same story.

It’s going to end poorly for hahn. No way he survives this season - not even JR will tolerate this. 

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I remember as well. Pedro had a different tone going back about 6 weeks ago - I call it the, if I am going to go down, I’m going down my way tone. 

Honestly - if the above is what HAhn said - I really can’t argue the way he responded to those questions. As Tex said - If he were a first year GM I would have gave him kudos for how he handled it. Problem is he has been here like 10 years and the club sucks. 

Oh and I should caveat - I have no reason to not believe Middleton. Guarantee someone fell asleep in the pen.

• Like 1

I have a problem with the way he answered because they were obvious lies. It further reduces what is left of his credibility when he tells such obvious falsehoods.

Things like they targeted clubhouse malcontents to trade.

Things like a reliever never fell asleep. He doesn't know. Heck he didn't even know the MLB had already announced the TA decision hours prior. He is not in the clubhouse I trust the relievers version of events over his. What he should have said is I am not in the bullpen on a regular basis but grifol assured me no such situation took place. That at least would have been crediable

That he talked of fixing the clubhouse that was not a focus on the post trade deadline coverage or the pre deadline coverage. He intentionally kept the public in the dark about issues in the clubhouse

And on and on

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

My goodness, this is 10 years worth of gibberish in one interview.

This really struck me:  "it [team culture] was something we were upfront about for the last several weeks, something we feel we've been in the process of addressing, both at the trade deadline as well as since

Everyone that was traded, except for Burger and Graveman, were on expiring contracts.  But the reason that they were traded was because of their effects on culture?   The expiring contracts were coincidental?
So Burger was bad for culture?  That's too ridiculous to be believed.
Okay, maybe Graveman fits that bill (although I haven't seen anything that suggests he's a problem).

And notice who he didn't blame:  Grifol and the coaches.  Or himself.  Is it fair to point out that Lynn, Kelly, Middleton, and Graveman, the apparent alleged bad-culture dudes,  were signed by Hahn?

How did it take Hahn this long to figure there was a cultural problem with the White Sox? And if, like he said, it takes time for a rookie manager to affect culture, why did he hire a rookie manager if the team is in its multiple championship window?  When he hired him, he made no mention of a learning year, kind of stepping back. He's so full of s%*# his eyes are brown. Lauding the "leadership" Saturday night. What about the 5 games, 5 losses before that? And crying about what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse, yet then goes after Middleton with something that should have stayed in the clubhouse? Practice what you preach. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How did it take Hahn this long to figure there was a cultural problem with the White Sox? And if, like he said, it takes time for a rookie manager to affect culture, why did he hire a rookie manager if the team is in its multiple championship window?  When he hired him, he made no mention of a learning year, kind of stepping back. He's so full of s%*# his eyes are brown. Lauding the "leadership" Saturday night. What about the 5 games, 5 losses before that? And crying about what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse, yet then goes after Middleton with something that should have stayed in the clubhouse? Practice what you preach. 

None of it makes any sense.

Or that we should NOW be taking the time to focus on and celebrate these three consecutive victories over "playoff caliber" teams and ignoring everything else that has happened the entire season...like there's some type of award for 2 or 3 game streaks.

Another thing...the Mariners basically fell apart the season they traded Graveman to Houston at the end while simultaneously trying to compete, it's not like he has ever been considered a clubhouse problem at any of his previous stops.

And Kelly has spent most of his time either injured or writing a book.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Now I'm curious who the player is who was sleeping in the clubhouse. I don't think Moncadas hangovers count as a disorder.

The first thoughts should be anyone with a concussion. It really messes with your sleep patterns.

(I don't know how they would treat an athlete who works the evening shift.)

Sometimes it's short term so doctors of regular folks take a wait, watch, and see approach. They don't want to medicate unless absolutely necessary. The suggestion is to take short <25 minute naps when necessary to function. (At least in my case). 

Here's the problem. We would like to assume the player is giving 100%, the medical staff is doing their jobs, and it's all to help the player and the team. But we're so disgusted with this organization we'll jump to the worst conclusion first.

Obviously the player is lazy, probably partying all night, hungover, hates playing for the Sox, the medical crew is incompetent, management is absent, the other players don't give a s%*# to wake him up. 

Hell maybe this is due to international drug smuggling? Gambling interests? 

9 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Middleton doubled down on his comments tonight to the media and Lance Lynn in L.A. confirmed what Middleton said on A.J.'s podcast along with telling the media in L.A. the same story.

I’ve seen “Middleton doubled down” in a couple of places.  What did he say?  I can’t find it anywhere.  Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Oh and I should caveat - I have no reason to not believe Middleton. Guarantee someone fell asleep in the pen.

Wait a minute have you tried watching this team?? Good night. 

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And that's the follow up question to Hahn that wont get asked, or he certainly wont answer... Middleton says it, Lynn confirms it. Burger makes some side comments about team culture in Miami, Keuchel said stuff a year or so ago... is it fair to say that Middleton wasn't being truthful when 3 other players confirm it?

I just want to know if Rick Hahn still thinks he’s the best person for this job.  Cuz it seems pretty obvious to everyone watching that he’s not.  Also, when is the parade?  We were promised a parade and I still want to talk to him after it…

What a silver-tongued bullshit artist…

1 hour ago, jasonxctf said:

And that's the follow up question to Hahn that wont get asked, or he certainly wont answer... Middleton says it, Lynn confirms it. Burger makes some side comments about team culture in Miami, Keuchel said stuff a year or so ago... is it fair to say that Middleton wasn't being truthful when 3 other players confirm it?

Don't forget Abreu saying it no longer felt like a family in the clubhouse...Pollock even taking less money to get out of there.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, JTB said:

I’ve seen “Middleton doubled down” in a couple of places.  What did he say?  I can’t find it anywhere.  Thanks. 

I posted links from stories that have his quotes in the thread titled recapping the day. 

Yahoo Sports

Yankees pitcher Keynan Middleton claims White Sox clubhouse had 'no rules'

Yasmani Grandal, meanwhile, denies report that he slapped Tim Anderson

ESPN reportedly corroborated Middleton's comments in regard to missed meetings and sleeping players. The White Sox responded to Middeleton's (spelling) claims Monday night.

Still on the front page of yahoo.com

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/yankees-pitcher-keynan-middleton-claims-white-sox-clubhouse-had-no-rules-152020132.html

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Usually when people double down, they are not only convinced their statements are factual and truthful, but probably upset and irritated that their former GM,  manager and a few players are downplaying the facts and showing a blatant lack of integrity. 

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Or that we should NOW be taking the time to focus on and celebrate these three consecutive victories over "playoff caliber" teams and ignoring everything else that has happened the entire season...like there's some type of award for 2 or 3 game streaks.

Exactly.  Its’s like, let us know when you’ve strung together 15-20 wins in a row to get into striking distance…of .500…

if there’s one thing RH has gotten good at over the years, it’s wiggling out of the hot seat.  Driving the same boat into the same ocean 3 times will teach you some tricks.  1st, he never even has the presser  to address these issues if the Sox don’t win a couple games in a row—he’d stay safely in his basement if they lose those games.  Now he can wave 2 games around like they are some sort of “turning point” after 10 failed YEARS.  Give me a break.

1 minute ago, FT35 said:

Exactly.  Its’s like, let us know when you’ve strung together 15-20 wins in a row to get into striking distance…of .500…

if there’s one thing RH has gotten good at over the years, it’s wiggling out of the hot seat.  Driving the same boat into the same ocean 3 times will teach you some tricks.  1st, he never even has the presser  to address these issues if the Sox don’t win a couple games in a row—he’d stay safely in his basement if they lose those games.  Now he can wave 2 games around like they are some sort of “turning point” after 10 failed YEARS.  Give me a break.

If he were ever on the hot seat, I'd agree with you.

We all know he's never been on the hot seat.

14 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It’s going to end poorly for hahn. No way he survives this season - not even JR will tolerate this. 

He's never held him accountable for this dumpster fire of a franchise in the past decade+ that he's been here. Why would he start now?

• Like 1