Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

Just now, ron883 said:

Sorry caulfield, the Beijing White Sox ain't happening. Don't get your hopes up. 

Yeah, well the White Sox already can't afford their own group of Pacific Rim scouts as it is.

The team would be in Taipei, not in the mainland, where there's about the same amount of interest as there currently is in India.

Heck, field hockey would be a better investment.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You have the Shoeless Joe Jackson connection, lol...Greenville?

Greenville is close to me, about 20 minutes away. The little Joe Jackson house still stands, near the Greenville Drive stadium. Fun stuff.

4 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Would become one of the top franchises in MLB if they had the right owner and moved to Nashville. Skate to where the puck is going and GTH out of Illinois.

can’t believe I’m saying it but it’s true 

MLB aren't giving up TV contracts that cover 10 million plus people for a city below 1 million. Nashville isn't a real threat.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

What I've never understood about the idea of relocating this franchise is the built-in, original fanbase that would be potentially lost. Say what you will about attendance but that park has always filled up when the wins came....which is not often. And as much of a clown as Brandon Johnson is, Chicago losing both the Bears and White Sox in the same time frame would be a big blow.  Perhaps that's part of why JR is throwing this out there right now. 

My attachment to this city is dwindling by the day and I'll be out of here asap. However my attachment to this team is different. If they moved/relocated to Nashville I'd probably be done with MLB. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

MLB aren't giving up TV contracts that cover 10 million plus people for a city below 1 million. Nashville isn't a real threat.

Not going to debate the TV contracts aren’t a consideration, but Oakland will be going to Vegas (far smaller population than the Bay Area).

A MLB team in Nashville would crush it if placed correctly and marketed. 

Again you have to think about the next 15-20 years.  IMO far far more appealing to be in Nashville than a slowly dying Chicago’s second fiddle 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

If the Sox were rumored to be in play for Las Vegas I’d be more worried than I am now about a Nashville relocation, on the other hand JR is a cheap bastard and if Nashville pony’s up the money for a new stadium, it would be such a JR/Whitesox thing to do. Saving a dime in the short term versus long term success. 

2 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

What I've never understood about the idea of relocating this franchise is the built-in, original fanbase that would be potentially lost. Say what you will about attendance but that park has always filled up when the wins came....which is not often. And as much of a clown as Brandon Johnson is, Chicago losing both the Bears and White Sox in the same time frame would be a big blow.  Perhaps that's part of why JR is throwing this out there right now. 

My attachment to this city is dwindling by the day and I'll be out of here asap. However my attachment to this team is different. If they moved/relocated to Nashville I'd probably be done with MLB. 

Buehrle/Wood brings up a very good point when talking about the TV market size. I agree with him Nashville isn't a threat, it, like Tampa, is going to be used by a bargaining tool by JR (if he is still around)

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

I didnt read all 4 pages, but has anyone brought up Arlington Park? There's plenty of room there for a football stadium, baseball stadium, parking, hotels and an entertainment district.

Never going to happen with the property tax JR would have to pay, the Bears are trying to get a sweetheart deal for what they want, JR would have a heart attack.

Just now, Vote4Pedro said:

Never going to happen with the property tax JR would have to pay, the Bears are trying to get a sweetheart deal for what they want, JR would have a heart attack.

Yeah it would have to be with a new owner. I'm not sure Jerry would outlive the time it would take to build a stadium.

But having two teams, you could split the tax burden between the 2 teams to lessen the load. and ultimately get the hotels, restaurants, bars, etc to pay most of the tax burden once its up and running.

32 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2023/08/21/report-white-sox-may-be-pondering-a-move-out-of-chicago/

A good look at the situation and his bet is they aren't going anywhere out of Chicago but may be trying to get a new stadium or more likely this is to try to entice buyers.

If JR does really want to sell and take that massive tax hit, things must be worse than we are being led to believe.

When you say “things must be worse than we are being led to believe,” what are you referring to?  Not arguing.  Genuinely curious.  What’s worse than we’re led to believe…losing money, hates the losing, tired of being drug through the mud?

15 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Not going to debate the TV contracts aren’t a consideration, but Oakland will be going to Vegas (far smaller population than the Bay Area).

A MLB team in Nashville would crush it if placed correctly and marketed. 

Again you have to think about the next 15-20 years.  IMO far far more appealing to be in Nashville than a slowly dying Chicago’s second fiddle 

Las Vegas is its own entity and should not be compared to anything because there's truly nothing like it. It can make up for lack of TV money with the insane amount of tourist dollars spent there, although I do think the move still holds some risk.  Even then it's a lot closer to Oakland than Nashville is to Chicago. And Chicago is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world while Nashville is Nashville. But that's not what would drive this anyway, it's still the 10 million to 1 million population difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2023/08/21/report-white-sox-may-be-pondering-a-move-out-of-chicago/

A good look at the situation and his bet is they aren't going anywhere out of Chicago but may be trying to get a new stadium or more likely this is to try to entice buyers.

If JR does really want to sell and take that massive tax hit, things must be worse than we are being led to believe.

Or maybe the time is right to sell, and it will more than make up for the capital gains taxes? What if a bidding war starts and the Sox sell for $3 billion or more? His family will make more than anticipated, even compared to what they previously would have expected from selling the team after his death.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Buehrle/Wood brings up a very good point when talking about the TV market size. I agree with him Nashville isn't a threat, it, like Tampa, is going to be used by a bargaining tool by JR (if he is still around)

Tampa-St. Pete was a lot more than a bargaining ploy.

Now, granted, this today is probably a negotiating salvo. I honestly don’t know how I feel about it, though. Been a fan for 50 years and tired of being used this way. Almost willing to call JR’s bluff even if it isn’t one.

Edited by soxfaninfl

Chicago is a world class city and a great sports town that can easily support two major league baseball teams. And I believe two teams can thrive within the city limits. It's not a GRF problem. GRF is easily accessible by public transportation, has ample parking for tailgating etc. It's a "family friendly" facility. There are more than enough Sox fans that would and have supported the team. Sox fans are fed up and demand competent leadership and ownership.

I was at Italian Fest on Taylor street Saturday evening. You can argue its south side but its only about one mile south of Madison Ave. I started noticing many fest goers with Sox hats and jerseys on- it was easily 5 to one over Cubs apparel and the Cubs had a day game earlier in the day. There is a loyal fan base out there that someone with a bit of business sense could truly succeed in the third biggest market in the US. Half of Chicago is worth a multiple of Nashvilles, Charlottes,  etc. We just need competent ownership that wants to win and compete the way the game is operated now - international scouting, analytics, etc., and, most importantly, treat your fans as your most valued resource.

But none of that will change under the current ownership.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

First a lighthearted reaction then my anger. ...

How bout we turn G Rate Field into a soccer stadium? I hate soccer but it's very popular now and get a good team and I bet they'd draw 30,000 a night. Refigure G Rate. Keep some Sox stuff around on the facade.

Meanwhile, the Sox share Wrigley with the Cubs! Everybody seemingly loves Wrigley. Remodel it some more. In fact completely switch the inner portions of the stadium to a normal bowl without pillars and Sox and Cubs share the field. I think this is genius personally. Sox fans only go to Sox games; let the Cubs have their usual Wrigley sellout crowds and the Sox take what they can get. If they have a good team they'll sell it out.

Now for ANGER.

Reinsdorf said in the past he used threat of moving as leverage before. So we can't take anything he'll say or do seriously. If he wants to move 'em to Naperville or Arlington, go for it. We know the next Sox park WILL NOT be on 35th and Shields, folks. That ship has sailed.

Do I care if the Sox move? Well personally I hardly ever return to the city anymore (for reasons I used to talk about) so selfishly I should not care. Move 'em to Vegas. ... But yeah I guess I want them to stay in Windy City despite my total anger at the state of a once proud, yes proud, franchise. This season was an absolute atrocity, a disgrace, a total flop. I'm sick to my stomach over this White Sox franchise. Disgusting team that has no clue how to build a roster in this new-age of baseball. No pitching and no lift and pulling cept for Robert.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

And as much of a clown as Brandon Johnson is, Chicago losing both the Bears and White Sox in the same time frame would be a big blow. 

Lori gets the blame for the Bears. Nothing to do with Johnson. At least that's my take.