Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

It really is weird timing.  It’s almost like Jerry has turned full heal and wants to destroy what little love for the franchise us Sox fans have left.

I think it’s the opposite and the past two seasons has killed his love for the game and it’s expediting a possible sale.

• Like 1

It's hard not to feel a little bit like an Oakland A's fan the way these last two seasons have gone...and now "playing for wins" instead of prioritizing the development of guys like Sosa, Colas, whatever resources they can throw at catcher (Lee and Perez), etc.

From a practical standpoint, maybe Pedro "trying to win" will mean even worse results...which means at least ending up with the 3rd position in the draft.  Seems too much of a reach to fall back to the Royals and A's with the scant amount of games remaining on the schedule.

Edited by caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I do think the city and state will offer a few carrots because it doesn't look good to move a team, but it will be dramatically less than what they gave him with the last deal. If he doesn't accept that he will be paying a whole lot more to the city and state...well...

Officials have zero reason to do the responsible thing, they aren't paying for it personally, get benefits politically if they "save the team".

Paying for street improvements and other infrastructure is acceptable, I believe they do the same for other businesses but honestly I'm not certain. In turn, the Sox should pay property taxes like every other business for the first time since 1990.

Handouts to Jerry, or companies like Boeing are not acceptable in 2023, shouldn't have been acceptable in the past. All it does is saddle remaining businesses and individual taxpayers, and future generations (servicing the $420 million debt and growing) with the tab.

• Like 1

Fine to leave the G Spot, but not fine to leave Chicago. The Nashville White Sox wouldn’t be the same, I’d be pissed like the A’s fans and probably couldn’t remain a fan without a Chicago connection. And I don’t see how the team gets contracted, they aren’t the Expos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Fine to leave the G Spot, but not fine to leave Chicago. The Nashville White Sox wouldn’t be the same, I’d be pissed like the A’s fans and probably couldn’t remain a fan without a Chicago connection. And I don’t see how the team gets contracted, they aren’t the Expos.

If they move out of the state, no one should remain a fan of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It really is weird timing.  It’s almost like Jerry has turned full heal and wants to destroy what little love for the franchise us Sox fans have left.

He and Einhorn bought the team and immediately dissed Bill Veek. 

Then they fired the popular Jimmy Piersall, took the Sox off free TV on national superstation WGN, causing the beloved Harry Caray to go to the crosstown rival Cubs which cemented Chicago as a Cubs town. 

Then when his team clinched the division, he promptly used the occasion to call Harry and Jimmy "scum" only to watch his team be defeated in the first round never to return to the playoffs for another decade. 

Then he threatened to move the team to Florida, tore down the beloved Comiskey Park and held up the taxpayers of Illinois to build an ugly monstrosity of a stadium.

He has hired nothing but cronies instead of competent baseball people, making this franchise a joke and just about irrelevant.

Screw him and the horse he road in on.  He should just sell, take his profit and go away.  Or if they contract this franchise, so be it.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Then they fired the popular Jimmy Piersall, took the Sox off free TV on national superstation WGN, causing the beloved Harry Caray to go to the crosstown rival Cubs which cemented Chicago as a Cubs town. 

Then when his team clinched the division, he promptly used the occasion to call Harry and Jimmy "scum" only to watch his team be defeated in the first round never to return to the playoffs for another decade. 

Then he threatened to move the team to Florida, tore down the beloved Comiskey Park and held up the taxpayers of Illinois to build an ugly monstrosity of a stadium.

He has hired nothing but cronies instead of competent baseball people, making this franchise a joke and just about irrelevant.

Screw him and the horse he road in on.  He should just sell, take his profit and go away.  Or if they contract this franchise, so be it.  

Not to mention cancelling 1994, the White Sox' best World Series chance since 1917, and then the White Flag trade, the 2020 lockout, the 2021 lockout, hiring DUI guy, etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fathom said:

And I don’t care how loyal he is to players, he treats the fans like scum.

And think about how many players have left disgruntled. It's not like he's universally loved by anyone who works for him. 

He is very, very bad at professional team ownership. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'm done with the sport at that stage, they already killed the other team I cared about (Expos).

Hope World Series ratings drop under 1 million over the next decade and loses to Real Housewives of Salt Lake City or whatever other trash is on TV these days.

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Mostly true.... but I don't want all of that anger and desire for retribution to ever result in Chicago losing our White Sox. Some things are larger and more important  than any one person whether that is in politics, sports or business. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Mostly true.... but I don't want all of that anger and desire for retribution to ever result in Chicago losing our White Sox. Some things are larger and more important  than any one person whether that is in politics, sports or business. 

I know he owns the team but damnit the White Sox are ours.....and I wish he'd stop screwing them up.

Unfortunately with the tax laws the way they are, I don't see anyway they get sold until he is gone.

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

14 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Unless it's with different, competent owners.

I gotta tell ya...if its new ownership, and it becomes the Nashville White Sox...I'm strangely ok with it. I have no connection to the city of Chicago though, of course. I've never lived there, or had any affiliation, my fandom came from an Auburn TE drafted many moons ago. Any solution, regardless, has to involve someone new at the helm.

• Like 3