Sooo, parallel universe: Who would you hire?

bmags

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Four managers that speak Spanish in a row plus Cairo and Montoya, not to mention Jose Abreu (if you added Espada)...yet nobody can get through to Eloy Grandal Moncada etc.

Character and work ethic is just as important as talent.

They all played well for Ricky, then dropped off when they were exposed to Tony’s s%*# day in and day out. Go work for a s%*# manager for months / years, the post office, and see how motivated you are seeing so much s%*# and knowing you can’t stop the bleeding no matter if you kill yourself or skate through each workday.

I always gave my best because my work reflected on me and my values, but I’ve worked at a couple places where management culture were so bad i just tried to survive until I could quit. 

Most humans have many options, but most baseball players are stuck for most / all of their careers in an organization (minors plus 6 years MLB). Only a small percentage reach meaningful free agency. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Definitely weird. When I struggle with people at work I'm always floored since we all speak english. Strange we'd have any differences.

The White Sox have spent more time trying to coddle those guys...treating them with kid gloves.  You would have thought they were moving Brooks Robinson off 3B to get Yoan Moncada to try to be a little more versatile and play second.

Somehow Jake Burger was able to willingly take on that task for much less than $29 million.

I mean...we're STILL giving previous playing time to Grandal why why why?

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They all played well for Ricky, then dropped off when they were exposed to Tony’s s%*# day in and day out. Go work for a s%*# manager for months / years, the post office, and see how motivated you are seeing so much s%*# and knowing you can’t stop the bleeding no matter if you kill yourself or skate through each workday.

I always gave my best because my work reflected on me and my values, but I’ve worked at a couple places where management culture were so bad i just tried to survive until I could quit. 

Most humans have many options, but most baseball players are stuck for most / all of their careers in an organization (minors plus 6 years MLB). Only a small percentage reach meaningful free agency. 

When did we ever see any of those three guys try to KILL themselves...well, other than Eloy running into fences and jumping into netting and getting stepped on during brawls?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

When did we ever see any of those three guys try to KILL themselves...well, other than Eloy running into fences and jumping into netting and getting stepped on during brawls?

Yoan could barely breathe at times in 2020 with COVID. Put up a 5.1 WAR in 2019, 3.6 in 2021. 

Grandal was a terrible signing. The Dodgers wanted no part of him after they acquired him, largely benched him for the playoffs because he is a Balco DH, not a catcher. It’s why there was only one offer.

The team could see it, Tim could see it, starters with sharp breaking balls didn’t want him to catch. Tim called him out. He always reminded me of Dornan from Major League.

Ricky benched guys the few times there was lack of effort. Everyone played hard, even though Hahn’s tanking roster had a shitload of minor leaguers.

The only accountability under Tony revolved around the unwritten rules. 

• Like 1

Anything goes - JR realizes hes at the end of his rope and hires a group to conduct a thorough search for a competent baseball man for president who can hire his own GM and coaches. Money is invested into player development and scouting. JR stays out of the way and expresses his desire to this new group that he just wants to win another championship before its over and he will do whatever needs to be done.

Reality - Please, anyone but Getz. Go beg Kim Ng to come be EVP she has ties to the organization. A house cleaning was needed, hiring from within a terrible organization will not fix a terrible organization!

Balta is right.

Kim NG has a number of positive qualities but is hardly a slam dunk choice.

Would take her over Moore/Getz but that's about the extent of it.

The Sox DO need those Miami scouts who signed so many successful Latin American players the past decade plus...especially on the pitching side.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Balta is right.

Kim NG has a number of positive qualities but is hardly a slam dunk choice.

Would take her over Moore/Getz but that's about the extent of it.

The Sox DO need those Miami scouts who signed so many successful Latin American players the past decade plus...especially on the pitching side.

Jeter / Mattingly called the shots until they were forced last year. Kim should get 4-5 years before you can fairly assess her strengths and weaknesses. She was able to land Arraez and Burger this year, working on half the budget Hahn had.

Not the perfect candidate, but in terms of possibly 2-3 people on Earth Jerry knows and might trust beyond 35th and Shields, she’s likely a much better option than Getz.

Still holding out hope they go external, but not listening to any more games until a decision is made, or any games in a Chris Getz Era.

38 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jeter / Mattingly called the shots until they were forced last year. Kim should get 4-5 years before you can fairly assess her strengths and weaknesses. She was able to land Arraez and Burger this year, working on half the budget Hahn had.

Not the perfect candidate, but in terms of possibly 2-3 people on Earth Jerry knows and might trust beyond 35th and Shields, she’s likely a much better option than Getz.

Still holding out hope they go external, but not listening to any more games until a decision is made, or any games in a Chris Getz Era.

They were trades, and have nothing to do with budget. Esp weird since Hahn also managed to land Burger via the draft. Burger may be a better draft pick than any of Kim Ngs.

This is just way overhyping someone who performed a good trade vs Rick Hahn, whom everyone agrees was the worst GM in baseball. But if you remove that...there's not very much that's impressive happening in Miami.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

They were trades, and have nothing to do with budget. Esp weird since Hahn also managed to land Burger via the draft. Burger may be a better draft pick than any of Kim Ngs.

This is just way overhyping someone who performed a good trade vs Rick Hahn, whom everyone agrees was the worst GM in baseball. But if you remove that...there's not very much that's impressive happening in Miami.

She is competing for the playoffs with a limited budget. There are two positive qualities.

She's been in charge for just over a year. There is nothing in my post "overhyping" anything, just said she needs time to assess whether she will be a good GM, especially after inheriting Jeter's mess with a limited budget, she's made two solid trades this season and would be one of the few external qualified people Jerry knows and likely trusts.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

She is competing for the playoffs with a limited budget. There are two positive qualities.

She's been in charge for just over a year. There is nothing in my post "overhyping" anything, just said she needs time to assess whether she will be a good GM, especially after inheriting Jeter's mess with a limited budget, she's made two solid trades this season and would be one of the few external qualified people Jerry knows and likely trusts.

hired nov 2020...2021...2022...2023

2 atrocious drafts, limited prospect capital, maxxed budget...fighting uphill for the last wildcard spot.

Sounds like a Kenny Williams disciple to me.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

hired nov 2020...2021...2022...2023

2 atrocious drafts, limited prospect capital, maxxed budget...fighting uphill for the last wildcard spot.

Sounds like a Kenny Williams disciple to me.

Jeter ran the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 off-seasons before leaving in February 2022. Minimal spending due to COVID and Miami being Miami. Jeter lost the power struggle and was gone just before Spring Training. Jeter extended mental midget Donnie Baseball, owner kept his dumbass through September to avoid paying him two years for doing nothing, realizing 2022 was already lost cause with Jeter's roster, his payroll commitment and the prior offseason.

2022-2023 was Kim's first offseason in charge, acquired a 4.6 WAR infielder and then at the deadline Burger with 0.8 with her buddy. Fighting for the playoffs in a quality division with three teams with 2-3Xs payroll, Kenny and Rick couldn't compete in a horseshit division with an equivalent or higher payroll beyond tanking seasons. Rick Hahn couldn't even handle a situation involving a 14 year old child.

I don't / didn't agree with all of her moves, but overall as a new GM I'd give her more time to fully assess what she does within a legitimate timespan, including what ownership's commitment is to fielding competitive teams.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Who supposedly didn't even make the trade. After all, per her own words, she called up Kenny and got the deal done.

The big takeaway: She got a good player from a dumpster fire front office.

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jeter ran the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 off-seasons before leaving in February 2022. Minimal spending due to COVID and Miami being Miami. Jeter lost the power struggle and was gone just before Spring Training. Jeter extended mental midget Donnie Baseball, owner kept his dumbass through September to avoid paying him two years for doing nothing, realizing 2022 was already lost cause with Jeter's roster, his payroll commitment and the prior offseason.

2022-2023 was Kim's first offseason in charge, acquired a 4.6 WAR infielder and then at the deadline Burger with 0.8 with her buddy. Fighting for the playoffs in a quality division with three teams with 2-3Xs payroll, Kenny and Rick couldn't compete in a horseshit division with an equivalent or higher payroll beyond tanking seasons. Rick Hahn couldn't even handle a situation involving a 14 year old child.

I don't / didn't agree with all of her moves, but overall as a new GM I'd give her more time to fully assess what she does within a legitimate timespan, including what ownership's commitment is to fielding competitive teams.

You are hand waving two years of employment because she reported to Jeter?

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

Who supposedly didn't even make the trade. After all, per her own words, she called up Kenny and got the deal done.

The big takeaway: She got a good player from a dumpster fire front office.

She also acquired Josh Bell who has played as well as Burger (0.7 bWAR in August vs. Burger's 0.8 bWAR). Cleveland only saved a couple million net over two years. Also replaced Jeter's crony with a strong contender for NL Manager of the Year.

And yes, Kim Ng did not have much authority until Jeter was pushed out. Jeter had total say during his tenure and everything was a complete shitshow, on par or possibly worse than the White Sox. He will never get any job in baseball again, despite his wish to return, beyond say as a sportscaster or team ambassador "advisor" type with no authority.

“Derek Jeter was the perfect person to buy a team because he didn’t use his money,” Samson said. “And he had someone in the name of Bruce Sherman who let him do anything he wanted with absolutely no accountability. And if you can get that kind of job, you might as well go get it.” - David Samson 4/20/23

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2023/04/yankees-great-derek-jeter-was-costanza-as-marlins-ceo-ex-team-exec-says.html

That does NOT say that she did not have significant authority under Jeter.  It says she built significant authority with the people around the building based on the respect she has earned with them.

nothing in that article infers that she was this powerless suit you are saying she was 

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

That does NOT say that she did not have significant authority under Jeter.  It says she built significant authority with the people around the building based on the respect she has earned with them.

nothing in that article infers that she was this powerless suit you are saying she was 

correct.

But i'm further getting the vibes she IS a perfect Jerry hire. Comes from an org where they can obscure whose authority exists so nobody is ever at fault.

18 hours ago, The Beast said:

David Stearns and anyone qualified to be a GM from Tampa Bay, Atlanta or the Dodgers. I would want as many scouts and teams as possible to model the team like the Rays - competitive almost every year on limited resources.

Jerry pays minimum wage plus you keep any tips. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

If we are parallel universeing, I’m gonna chose the one where Jerry doesn’t buy the White Sox and run the franchise into the ground for forty years…

Force the owners to accept Eddie DeBartolo's bid instead in that parallel universe. That's the owner that built the San Francisco 49ers dynasty.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Force the owners to accept Eddie DeBartolo's bid instead in that parallel universe. That's the owner that built the San Francisco 49ers dynasty.

He also saved the Pittsburgh Penguins from moving and built the core for a Stanley Cup Dynasty with Mario and the rest.

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What if Jerry said F it and hired Jeffery Luhnow? Would fans care about the cheating scandal? He’s gotta be the best candidate for the president role. His resume with the Astros is incredible regardless of the scandal. 

I could care less what happened in Houston. All I care about is if he could take the Sox out of this garbage dump.