Korey Lee Called Up

DirtySox

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Man they REALLY dislike Perez. I know he isn’t the best catcher out there but you’d think the kid would get a small look to see what he’s capable of. He’s had success hitting the ball in Charlotte.

Ehhh, is a .245/.306/.736 slash really that successful for a guy that isn't really a catcher?  

I agree they should be giving him a look over playing Yaz at this point, but Perez clearly isn't in the long term plans for this org. 

This is typical WS.  Start the clock early on a prospect who isn’t close to being finished.  They have done this time and time again.  Rodon, not ready gets injured and wastes two years of his service time on the DL.  Crochet, same thing.  The only player it worked out for was Chris Sale who was clearly a unicorn.  Instead of realizing that he was a unicorn and not a product of their developmental genius, they keep fucking up.  This guy should be up June ‘24 or whatever the service time falls below a year.  Just stupid s%*#, time after time.

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Probably just waiting for Seby, who should be back next week.  

From what I’ve seen, we’re all just waiting for Quero.  I like Lee’s tools, Hackenberg’s D, and Michael Turner is shockingly underrated, but Quero has something special in his all-around game.  He’s just really savvy. Does a lot to help a club win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, restinpiss said:

This is typical WS.  Start the clock early on a prospect who isn’t close to being finished.  They have done this time and time again.  Rodon, not ready gets injured and wastes two years of his service time on the DL.  Crochet, same thing.  The only player it worked out for was Chris Sale who was clearly a unicorn.  Instead of realizing that he was a unicorn and not a product of their developmental genius, they keep fucking up.  This guy should be up June ‘24 or whatever the service time falls below a year.  Just stupid s%*#, time after time.

Lee is 25.  His service clock is meaningless unless we think that someone’s breaking the bank for a 32 y.o. likely back up.

8 minutes ago, restinpiss said:

His clock is already started, fwiw. 

8 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

From what I’ve seen, we’re all just waiting for Quero.  I like Lee’s tools, Hackenberg’s D, and Michael Turner is shockingly underrated, but Quero has something special in his all-around game.  He’s just really savvy. Does a lot to help a club win.

Is the consensus still that Quero is a below average defender? 

3 minutes ago, restinpiss said:

I have to disagree with this one, and this is from a person who always complains that the White Sox call people up too quickly. This is a guy who had plenty of development time in the Astros system. He had his first appearance at AAA back in 2021, and has over 800 plate appearances there on offense, he's listed as playing nearly 200 games there, all at AAA. You can quibble with bringing him back as the return for Graveman, his problem with the Astros is that he has been passed in quality and performance by Yainer Diaz so he has legitimately no role there and he isn't viewed as a sure fire guy, but it's totally worth the White Sox trying him out now that they have him. He was on the IL when the Sox traded for him, but if he's healthy and had enough time to rehab, there is zero reason to keep him in the minors any more and he should absolutely be in the big league catching rotation all of next year if healthy. The odds may be against him working out, but he's definitely worth a shot. 

Just now, reiks12 said:

Is the consensus still that Quero is a below average defender? 

I have not seen that.  I think he is young, inexperienced calling games, the arm is just average (unlike Lee’s cannon), but he has a pretty quick release, I think he’s been decent at blocking balls and when they do get away, he’s been very quick to pounce on them.  He made a great play to save a base in the game last night.  Molina is his all-time favorite player, so he works hard on his D.  I think he’s going to be above average. When you pair that with his really great baseball IQ, there’s no doubt in my mind that he stays back there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

But, keep in mind, he can hit .130 from BOTH sides.

Yaz is vying with Mike Clevinger and Liam Hendriks to become the third Rick Hahn free agent acquisition with an eight figure contract to last his entire deal. Parrot, aka Edwin Encarnacion was the first with his one year deal, Jose with his extension.

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men:

Yes

1. $50.0M Jose Abreu 2020-2022
  2. $12.0M Edwin Encarnacion 2020

No

1. $56.0M Adam Dunn 2011-2014 (8/31/14 - Traded by the Chicago White Sox with cash to the Oakland Athletics for Nolan Sanburn (minors).)
  2. $55.0M Dallas Keuchel 2020-2022 (5/30/22 - Released by the Chicago White Sox.)
  3. $46.0M David Robertson 2015-2018 (7/19/17 - Traded by the Chicago White Sox with Todd Frazier and Tommy Kahnle to the New York Yankees for Ian Clarkin (minors), Tito Polo (minors), Tyler Clippard and Blake Rutherford.)
  4. $42.0M Melky Cabrera 2015-2017 (7/30/17 - Traded by the Chicago White Sox with cash to the Kansas City Royals for Andre Davis (minors) and A.J. Puckett (minors).)
  5. $25.0M Adam LaRoche 2015-2016 (3/18/16 - Voluntarily retired from the Chicago White Sox.)
  6. $24.0M Kendall Graveman 2022-2024 (7/28/23 - Traded by the Chicago White Sox to the Houston Astros for Korey Lee.)
  7. $18.0M Kelvin Herrera 2019-2020 (8/2/20 - Released by the Chicago White Sox.)
  8. $17.0M Joe Kelly 2022-2023 (7/28/23 - Traded by the Chicago White Sox with Lance Lynn to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Jordan Leasure (minors), Nick Nastrini (minors) and Trayce Thompson.)
  9. $16.5M Leury Garcia 2022-2024 (3/30/23 - Released by the White Sox.)
  10. $15.0M Zach Duke 2015-2017 (7/31/16 - Traded by the White Sox to the Saint Louis Cardinals for Charlie Tilson.)
  11. $15.0M Welington Castillo 2018-2019 (10/31/19 - Traded by the White Sox with international bonus slot money to the Texas Rangers for Jonah McReynolds.)
  12. $12.0M Jeff Keppinger 2013-2015 (5/21/14 - Released by the White Sox.)

Maybe

1. $75.0M Andrew Benintendi 2023-2027
  2. $73.0M Yasmani Grandal 2020-2023
  3. $54.0M Liam Hendriks 2021-2023
  4. $12.0M Mike Clevinger 2023