Update: 3 (2) fans injured by bullet in Guaranteed Rate field (split from game thread, police investigation underway)

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

The safety issue I'm addressing is that the Rate is unsafe and she therefore needed it for protection. I don't believe she needed it at the Rate, in the parking lot near the Rate, and probably not anywhere on her trip home. 

You are bringing up a different issue. Is the Rate unsafe because she was successful at smuggling it in? I hadn't even thought of that angle. 

You really can’t go much of anywhere from the park and not pass through a dangerous neighborhood, and that includes the highway.

I'm a little confused here on the fat roll thing. I'm no expert on anything so maybe my intuition is just off. The claim here is that metal detectors don't work if the metal is sufficiently surrounded by fat or similar materials? I quite frankly find that surprising

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm a little confused here on the fat roll thing. I'm no expert on anything so maybe my intuition is just off. The claim here is that metal detectors don't work if the metal is sufficiently surrounded by fat or similar materials? I quite frankly find that surprising

The report was she set it off twice before security just let her go through.

5 minutes ago, flavum said:

Okay so the idea is everything worked correctly beside the human element — she lied to security and they accepted her lie.

Editing to add the thought that it would be self-serving on the part of Sox security to play up the claim that she had some overwhelming ability to conceal a large object in her fat rolls. I'd be curious just how big this woman is, not because I want to partake in the ridicule flying everywhere (she deserves ridicule for bringing a gun to the ballpark though!) but because I wonder about the plausibility of the gun being well-concealed in the first place.

Edited by Jake

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Second city is alluding to the possibility the shooting perp is a CPS teacher, illegally living in the suburbs (CPS teachers are required to live in Chicago).

One of the three involved females said on Facebook before deleting the post that she was there as part of a teachers’ outing.

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

They’re not gonna strip search anyone or have some fatty flip up their rolls. Just meh, go on in, I’m sure it’s fine.

7 minutes ago, Jake said:

Okay so the idea is everything worked correctly beside the human element — she lied to security and they accepted her lie.

Editing to add the thought that it would be self-serving on the part of Sox security to play up the claim that she had some overwhelming ability to conceal a large object in her fat rolls. I'd be curious just how big this woman is, not because I want to partake in the ridicule flying everywhere (she deserves ridicule for bringing a gun to the ballpark though!) but because I wonder about the plausibility of the gun being well-concealed in the first place.

Again, yes. It’s possible to conceal weapons in fat rolls. It is not uncommon.

having been at this game, my reaction in the game thread was something like "boring game, every person in attendance was morbidly obese." I guess I didn't put two and two together that this public health threat is also a public safety one. This whole thing is genuinely the most American thing I've ever heard.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

I need to know where we rank "woman shoots herself and another fan after discharging a gun stored in her fat rolls, thus leading to the cancellation of a Vanilla Ice concert" ranks in the Absurd / Ridiculous Moments in White Sox history

The last decade is stacked, but we've got

• Black Sox Scandal
  • Chris Sale shredding jerseys
  • Drake LaRoche
  • Disco Demolition Night
  • Sox fans attacking Tom Gamboa
  • Trading our manager mid-season after he negotiated with another team to be their manager
  • The shorts - I feel like they don't hold a candle to these, but are an honorable mention
  • Belly fat gun
  • Illinois legislature turning off clocks to prevent Reinsdorf from leaving the state (both good and bad)
  • Hiring the play-by-play announcer as the GM; ends in disaster
  • Tony LaRussa's DUI right after he's hired after a decade of not managing
  • The Yermin Saga

What am I missing?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

I need to know where we rank "woman shoots herself and another fan after discharging a gun stored in her fat rolls, thus leading to the cancellation of a Vanilla Ice concert" ranks in the Absurd / Ridiculous Moments in White Sox history

• Black Sox Scandal
  • Drake LaRoche
  • Disco Demolition Night
  • Trading our manager mid-season after he negotiated with another team to be their manager
  • The shorts - I feel like they don't hold a candle to these, but are an honorable mention
  • Belly fat gun
  • Illinois legislature turning off clocks to prevent Reinsdorf from leaving the state (both good and bad)
  • The Yermin Saga

What am I missing?

Not as big, but I think Bevington calling in a guy from the bullpen when noone was warming up deserves an honorable mention. He need Despaigne out there since he hated warming up anyways. Instead, Keith Foulke had to come in cold.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

• Black Sox Scandal
  • Drake LaRoche
  • Disco Demolition Night
  • Belly fat gun
  • The Yermin Saga

What am I missing?

I'd add these gems

• 1994 Break The Union Cancel White Sox vs. Montreal World Series Opportunity
  • White Flag
  • Original Stadium (Upper Deck, Dodger Seats, Facing The Robert Taylor Homes)
  • Terry Bevington
  • Robin Ventura vs. Nolan Ryan

I was fine with Disco Demolition.

Not a big Ozzie fan, but it was two games, not "mid-season" and he quit because Kenny went behind his back and his agreement and extended Don Cooper. To me, both were in the wrong and both should have been replaced

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd add these gems

• White Flag
  • Terry Bevington

Not a big Ozzie fan, but it was two games, not "mid-season" and he quit because Kenny went behind his back and his agreement and extended Don Cooper. To me, both were in the wrong and both should have been replaced

How about the diminishing skills clause bull crap for Big Frank and how he got driven out of town as well?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd add these gems

• White Flag
  • Terry Bevington

Disco Demolition was fine on paper, it blew up (literally) into something else.

Midseason was the wrong term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd add these gems

• White Flag
  • Terry Bevington

What?

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

How about the diminishing skills clause bull crap for Big Frank and how he got driven out of town as well?

Yes and Kenny calling Frank an idiot, and telling him to stay out of "White Sox Business". No need to say it, 99% of MLB wants to stay out of White Sox Business. :D

Would also add locking Carlton Fisk out of the clubhouse in Cleveland so he couldn't say goodbye to his teammates, and then banning him from the clubhouse that October to wish his teammates well in the ALCS.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

What?

“People kept asking us, ‘When you going to change those seats?’” says Savarise. So after the 2006 season, the Sox did away with U.S. Cellular’s baby-blue seats and replaced them with dark green ones, reminiscent of wooden seats of earlier times. 

uscellcomiskey746.jpg

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20210508/for-jerry-reinsdorf-its-often-a-brooklyn-state-of-mind

For 40 years, Jerry Reinsdorf's life has been intertwined with the Chicago White Sox.

But in his heart, he will always be a Brooklyn Dodgers fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'd add these gems

• White Flag
  • Terry Bevington

Terry Bevington arguing a call that went the Sox way was good. His calling for the left hander with no one warming up in the bullpen was great as well.

Ozzie quietly many weeks before the last two games. 

While you guys know I enjoy piling on this crap of a franchise there are some moments in our history that I'm pretty damn proud of as a fan of this team. Larry Doby breaking the color line in the AL comes to mind. Baines and Goodwin. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Ozzie quietly many weeks before the last two games. 

While you guys know I enjoy piling on this crap of a franchise there are some moments in our history that I'm pretty damn proud of as a fan of this team. Larry Doby breaking the color line in the AL comes to mind. Baines and Goodwin. 

I feel bad breaking it to you, but Larry Doby was with Cleveland when he did that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

I feel bad breaking it to you, but Larry Doby was with Cleveland when he did that.

Bill Veeck was the owner of Cleveland when Larry Doby was signed.

He may have been thinking of when the Sox hired him as manager in 1978, but Frank Robinson was hired in Cleveland in 1974.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Terry Bevington arguing a call that went the Sox way was good. His calling for the left hander with no one warming up in the bullpen was great as well.

"Here’s the kicker, though.

The White Sox did not MEAN to acquire Barry!!!!

No, the White Sox meant to acquire young Dodger minor league pitcher Jonathan Berry!!!

The White Sox even issues a press release saying it was Berry that they had received, while it was not.

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams noted at the time:

There was a misunderstanding on reports. We were looking at a report on the pitcher and we didn’t have one on the guy we got. We’ll honor the deal.

Luckily for the White Sox, while Barry never made the major leagues for the White Sox, Berry never made the majors, either."

The best player in the deal turned out, most likely, to be Majewski, who the White Sox traded to the (then) Montreal Expos in 2004 along with pitcher Jon Rauch in exchange for Carl Everett, who helped the White Sox win the 2005 World Series.

https://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2009/05/07/attention-to-small-details/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1