Looking for any positives

Chimpton

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Still not an 800 hitter even after today's 4/5. 

Robert is the only guy with an OPS of .800. To have had a good offense we needed not only Luis but Eloy, AV, Moncada and TA to all be .800 plus with Benintendi up near there too. 
For comparison sake, the Rays have 6 guys who are in the 800s in OPS with Yandi Diaz over .900.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Whatever they are, they round down to zero  

The player development system is a total disaster, and if they promote the head of it to GM, there’s no reason for that to change.

The player acquisition strategy is so backwards it literally seems like it’s bad in purpose, and there would be a shred of hope if a totally new voice came in, because he/she could convince JR to change, but if they just promote someone who has already been cowed by JR, there’s no reason for that to change either.

Doesn’t matter if there are a few positive parts on the team, there’s no way to finish it with the above conditions. Might as well be the A’s.

EDIT: Sorry I failed the exercise. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least we're not the Angels?

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-ohtani-mike-trout-hurt-110005051.html

Talks among other things about possibility the Big A was built on ancient Native American burial grounds and it was covered up.

Also about a witches' coven that cursed Bobby Bonds.

"Jane Newell, the city of Anaheim’s local history curator, couldn't verify a Native American village, let alone a burial ground, under the stadium when interviewed by Dufresne. Newell remains on the job and still has no definitive information on the subject.

"I do remember directing Chris to the local tribal leader," she said.

Dufresne learned that the Juaneños tribe lived for 10,000 years in hamlets along the Santa Ana River bed that runs adjacent to what is now Angel Stadium.

Juaneños remaining in Orange County cannot verify whether the stadium was built on sacred ground because laws protecting Juaneño land from developers were not enacted until the 1970s.

“A lot of that stuff was ‘hurry up and bulldoze the area before anybody knows,’ ” Juaneño tribal chief David Belardes told Dufresne. “They could have hit something and kept it very quiet.”

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I’m an oldster and IIRC they still give out the Triple Crown Award for the guy  who has the highest batting average, most homers and most RBI’s. Those are the stats that I still look at but I also think OPS says a lot too.
For the life of me I have no idea how WAR is figured and actually don’t care.

Yeah we are on the same page. It has to infuriate you what's happened to starting pitching. Five innings then start the parade of (mostly horrific) relievers. I think baseball should get rid of some teams. Product is diluted. Like I've said before, good luck to any of these current players sniffing the Hall of Fame. No pitchers will be getting in for sure down the line. I guess a few hitters will get in if they hit enough homers. 

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • Moncada may be finally healthy, and is hitting much better than at any time since before he was first injured in mid April (.889 OPS vs. .753 in August).

I long ago gave up on Moncada. That ship has sailed. If you are right and he will hit great from now on since he's healthy, then he could mabe someday change my mind. But he's an unlikeable player that is for sure. I'd get rid of Moncada and TA and start from there this offseason. And of course showing Grandal the door.

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I long ago gave up on Moncada. That ship has sailed. If you are right and he will hit great from now on since he's healthy, then he could mabe someday change my mind. But he's an unlikeable player that is for sure. I'd get rid of Moncada and TA and start from there this offseason. And of course showing Grandal the door.

I am not sure what he'll do next year, but DFAing him when the chance he can produce for your team, and perhaps even net you a prospect or two for a team in need is worth the sunk cost. There is a legitimate chance he can produce at a decent to good level. Yoan is one of the few to put up a 5 bWAR season on the team, I believe Luis Robert is the only one still here.

2 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

Hey, Getz is totally unqualified and inspires zero confidence, but who knows, there’s a tiny chance he could get in there and actually be good.  

He has to be better than Hahn, hopefully, maybe, I guess, who knows.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

On 8/30/2023 at 3:24 AM, Chimpton said:

Amidst all the doom and gloom of a disaster season and the depressing search for a new GM I just thought I would look for any positives I could find.

• Luis Robert- not much really needs saying here, he is the best player on the team, can he still improve?
  • Lenyn Sosa- are we finally seeing what he could do at MLB level? Or is he just having a good spell when the pressure is off at the end of the season?

Apart from that I can't really see many positives about the MLB team, but any positives anyone has from the minors or any I have missed?

One statistic that jumps out at me this season. Sosa had 115 PA  and he had 1 BB and 12 SO.  Hopefully in the off-season he will work on what pitches not to swing at. 

7 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

One statistic that jumps out at me this season. Sosa had 115 PA  and he had 1 BB and 12 SO.  Hopefully in the off-season he will work on what pitches not to swing at. 

Hopefully our new head of player dev is more promising than our last one.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:24 PM, Big Hurtin said:

Is the window still open?

Throw back Thursday post of the year!

Y'all want a positive? The organization was so bad under Kenny and Hahn that Getz couldn't make the changes necessary. He was the only one screaming the right answer while everyone frantically pushed buttons. 

He heroically wrestled the controls from the terrorists sending the train over the cliff and will be amazing. 

Why? Because damnit the cosmos owes us one. 

• Haha 1