Moncada finally admits his preparation needs to change…beginning this offseason (ofc he will be a FA)

caulfield12

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

This. If healthy, and that’s an enormous if, I think he has a solid 2024. Also think there’s a decent chance the org is just done with him and do what is necessary to move him, which is probably eat $20M or so including the buyout. 

He won't finish next season in a Sox uniform. 

17 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I just find it very odd a Dodgers fan is on a Sox message board lol

Oh, yea I get that a lot. Long story short, my parents are both native Beidgeportians.. moved to the burbs 5 years before I was born. When I was 4 or 5, my Dad went to LA on business and got me a Dodgers hat. I was a big Fernando fan as a kid :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sox72 said:

What message board do you use for them? Something similar to Soxtalk. I’m only finding sites where fans can post an article. But no real threads. 

Dodgers Nation is what you want. They also have their own version of "White Sox Daily" or FutureSox I follow. The profiles should have links to the sites. 

https://twitter.com/DodgersNation

https://twitter.com/dodger_daily

Edited by Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Texsox said:

The assumption is they haven't. How about he ignored their first advice. So they offered something different he might do. Then something else trying to find something, anything he would do. 

I'm more inclined to blame him than the trainers. Bottom line he's an adult, they can't lock him in a cell and force him to take care of himself. 

What have you seen with this club, that would give you ANY indication that this medical/training staff is competent in the least?

I saw all I needed to see when Luis Robert was swinging with one fucking arm last season... This organization is a joke top to bottom. There's absolutely no reason to believe the training and medical staff are the exception to this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paulie4Pres said:

What have you seen with this club, that would give you ANY indication that this medical/training staff is competent in the least?

I saw all I needed to see when Luis Robert was swinging with one fucking arm last season... This organization is a joke top to bottom. There's absolutely no reason to believe the training and medical staff are the exception to this.

What have you seen from any players that makes it seem like they give a s%*#? Suddenly in a contract year he decides to change his approach? Are you suspicious at all? I'm not giving anyone a pass in the organization. 

Reality is it's probably both. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting thought Magglio Ordonez was vilified here for not using the team doctors in his final year of a contract. Most posters actually believed he should have trusted the team physicians even though he was never going to play for the Sox again. 

Could you image that argument today?

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Interesting thought Magglio Ordonez was vilified here for not using the team doctors in his final year of a contract. Most posters actually believed he should have trusted the team physicians even though he was never going to play for the Sox again. 

Could you image that argument today?

The White Sox have been having issues with medical, training, conditioning people for decades. Remember KW holding his press conference and using part of it to defend the medical staff after "Shouldergate" and the charges from Sirotka?

• Thanks 1

Magglio's issue is a little different, I think. If I remember correctly, he wanted to use a enriched platelet therapy that was illegal in the US at the time, but legal in Europe.  It was a therapy widely used at the time by soccer stars, but not used at all over here.  He turned out to be right, but what are the Sox doctors supposed to do.  Magglio ended up winning a batting title, and the Sox won a world series, so maybe it was for the best.

15 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Magglio's issue is a little different, I think. If I remember correctly, he wanted to use a enriched platelet therapy that was illegal in the US at the time, but legal in Europe.  It was a therapy widely used at the time by soccer stars, but not used at all over here.  He turned out to be right, but what are the Sox doctors supposed to do.  Magglio ended up winning a batting title, and the Sox won a world series, so maybe it was for the best.

February 7, 2005 - After one of the more acrimonious disputes in team history, four-time All-Star Magglio Ordonez signed a free agent deal with Detroit. Ordonez engaged Sox management in a war of words over how he was treated, the contract offered to him and his health status. Magglio’s agent, Scott Boras, refused to turn over medical information, which infuriated G.M. Kenny Williams and basically sealed Ordonez’s fate. Then manager Ozzie Guillen publicly called out Ordonez in no uncertain terms as well over the contract situation. Considering the severity of his knee injury, which required a secret trip to Austria for experimental surgery, it was hard to blame the Sox for their stance.  

Ordonez, who was almost traded to the Red Sox at the winter meetings in 2003 for Nomar Garciaparra, played with the team for six full seasons and parts of two others with 187 home runs and 702 RBI’s. In his full seasons he never hit less than .282 and in five of those years he was over .300.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

February 7, 2005 - After one of the more acrimonious disputes in team history, four-time All-Star Magglio Ordonez signed a free agent deal with Detroit. Ordonez engaged Sox management in a war of words over how he was treated, the contract offered to him and his health status. Magglio’s agent, Scott Boras, refused to turn over medical information, which infuriated G.M. Kenny Williams and basically sealed Ordonez’s fate. Then manager Ozzie Guillen publicly called out Ordonez in no uncertain terms as well over the contract situation. Considering the severity of his knee injury, which required a secret trip to Austria for experimental surgery, it was hard to blame the Sox for their stance.  

Ordonez, who was almost traded to the Red Sox at the winter meetings in 2003 for Nomar Garciaparra, played with the team for six full seasons and parts of two others with 187 home runs and 702 RBI’s. In his full seasons he never hit less than .282 and in five of those years he was over .300.

Didn’t he also have a hernia?

18 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He also re-injured himself and was out for the majority of 2005.  I believe the Tigers tried to void the contract that year but were unsuccessful.   He seems like a good dude and he's matured since than.

On 9/2/2023 at 6:19 PM, greg775 said:

Asinine trade. Burger is perfect for new-era baseball. HR or K. Why in the world would the Sox trade Burger??? He was swatting home runs at a strong rate and perfect for GRate Field. I betcha the front office merely wanted to get rid of one of the DH types, just get him out of sight out of mind. Horrible horrible trade. Arguably he was our second best hitter. This in itself should make all fans wonder if it's worth following this wretched organization. Gawd this trade angers me still. He was close to being the first player on this roster that I care about as a fan. He showed signs despite being a horrendous fielder.

30 HRs in 402 at bats!!!! Disgusting.

I said back in November that the Sox needed to trade Eloy and go with Burger/Sheets as the DH combo. Saves salary and stashes your backup 3B and backup 1B on the roster.

On 9/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

JR stated the Sox are now going to monitor guys in the off season. Why they weren't doing this before is anybody's guess.

They were. He is basically saying they will monitor more closely. It's just a response to Moncada's comments.

49 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

He went to Europe for a microfracture and platelet rich plasma insertion for his knee. None of which was legal in the US at the time. 

Not to mention his better playing through chemistry that didn't make Thomas or the team happy. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, Texsox said:

The assumption is they haven't. How about he ignored their first advice. So they offered something different he might do. Then something else trying to find something, anything he would do. 

I'm more inclined to blame him than the trainers. Bottom line he's an adult, they can't lock him in a cell and force him to take care of himself. 

Moncada is a great athlete.  No question.  But like an old Coach once said, " There's only two things that can hurt you.  Women and whiskey."

2 hours ago, oldsox said:

Moncada is a great athlete.  No question.  But like an old Coach once said, " There's only two things that can hurt you.  Women and whiskey."

That, and getting paid before you accomplish anything. There are tons of specimen types without that elite drive that will probably stop playing and preparing hungry. 

• Like 1