Colson is just an alien

bmags

from BA

Montgomery was the only player in the minor leagues 25 years of age or younger that met the following thresholds over a 200 plate appearance minimum: contact rate of 75% or above, an in-zone contact rate above 85%, a chase rate below 19% and a 90th percentile exit velocity of 104.5 mph. Montgomery has easy plus plate skills making good decisions and consistently hitting strikes. His high end power is unusual for a player of his age and skill level. 

Him developing this, in the White Sox organization, is so wild. A huge testament to his natural ability and work ethic. What an awesome prospect.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

And where is the scout who signed the anomalous Montgomery??

No longer with the White Sox, of course   But interesting he was a pitcher.

Justin Wechsler was named the pitching coach in June of 2023. He begins his first season as an assistant coach in 2024. Wechsler is no stranger to Ball State, as he was a pitcher for the Cardinals from 1999-2001.

Definitely knows the state of Indiana…

Justin Wechsler

Position: Pitcher

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Right

6-0255lb (183cm, 115kg) 

Born: April 6, 1980 (Age: 43-166d) in Anderson, IN us

Draft: Drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 4th round of the 2001 MLB June Amateur Draft from Ball State University (Muncie, IN).

High School:  Pendleton Heights HS (Pendleton, IN)

School:  Ball State University (Muncie, IN)

Full Name: Justin Andrew Wechsler 

Pronunciation: \WECKS-ler\

View Player Info from the B-R Bullpen

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

from BA

Him developing this, in the White Sox organization, is so wild. A huge testament to his natural ability and work ethic. What an awesome prospect.

I attribute quite a bit of it to just how good of a natural athlete he is. A guy that was good enough to probably walk on and play a few minutes at IU basketball also good enough to be a 1st round MLB pick, that's not an archetype you see very often. I guess the last one Chicago drafted was TA, and that worked out, at least as a development story.

Obviously the incredible zone control wasn't something you could anticipate but man when a talented athlete also has that ability to control the strike zone (as a LHB premium defender!) you have a unicorn.

He'll probably be top 20 in all the offseason prospect lists I'd imagine. I just hope Chicago doesn't f*** it up somehow.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I attribute quite a bit of it to just how good of a natural athlete he is. A guy that was good enough to probably walk on and play a few minutes at IU basketball also good enough to be a 1st round MLB pick, that's not an archetype you see very often. I guess the last one Chicago drafted was TA, and that worked out, at least as a development story.

Obviously the incredible zone control wasn't something you could anticipate but man when a talented athlete also has that ability to control the strike zone (as a LHB premium defender!) you have a unicorn.

He'll probably be top 20 in all the offseason prospect lists I'd imagine. I just hope Chicago doesn't f*** it up somehow.

The zone control is what makes him such a sight to behold in our system. He had an incredible selectivity from day one. That was wild, but then he's only cemented it deeper into his profile as he's moved up. 

Boy, if they can actually get him to stick at short too. 

• Like 3

Sox hitting coaches: "Looking great Colson! We think we just a few minor adjustments you could be even better, though. Instead of being selective and driving the ball, we think you should swing at everything and hit grounders up the middle and to the opposite field!"

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, almagest said:

Sox hitting coaches: "Looking great Colson! We think we just a few minor adjustments you could be even better, though. Instead of being selective and driving the ball, we think you should swing at everything and hit grounders up the middle and to the opposite field!"

I still just don't buy that white sox player development is particularly more aggressive in swing changes and pitching motion adjustments. I remember TA saying he was barely coached until AAA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I still just don't buy that white sox player development is particularly more aggressive in swing changes and pitching motion adjustments. I remember TA saying he was barely coached until AAA.

That tracks, I remember speaking with someone that cracked AAA with the Sox (in the 80s I believe), and their coaching for him on his changeup was to "throw it slower". 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I'm just making jokes because I'm sad

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Right -- it's not like they teach bad habits or anything, it just seems like they don't do anything at all. At least with regard to position players.

I've said it before, but every player that makes it to the majors with the Sox is essentially the same player that he was when they acquired him, just with more reps. If they manage to get guys that are so talented that their ability trumps their flaws, then they'll be MLB players -- but they'll never be as good as they could be if they were actually developed.

TA when drafted: raw, extremely talented. Good instincts, good bat-to-ball skills, but overly aggressive in his approach and prone to unforced errors on defense.

TA at MLB level: raw, extremely talented. Good instincts, good bat-to-ball skills, but overly aggressive in his approach and prone to unforced errors on defense.

Eloy when acquired: huge power, good hit. Quickly outgrowing every position, but the bat will play anywhere. Could hit 20 homers in the MLB today even though he hasn't played past AA.

Eloy at MLB level: huge power, good hit. Quickly outgrew every position, but the bat will play anywhere. Topped out at 20 homers due to no improvement in approach and the fact that he never learned how to move in his body.

It's the same with all the rest, even Robert. The guy still has no clue how to choose a pitch to hit, he's just so good that he's still able to succeed. But imagine how good he COULD be. Montgomery seems like he'll be that, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Eloy at MLB level: huge power, good hit. Quickly outgrew every position, but the bat will play anywhere. Topped out at 20 homers due to no improvement in approach and the fact that he never learned how to move in his body.

Eloy has issues but topping out at 20 homers isn't one of them - he hit 31 in his rookie year (122 games) and has averaged 34 in 162 games. He just can't stay on the field to ever get there. This year is the most disappointing to me, as he's going to play in 125+ games but with .70 less SLG points than his rookie year.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 1

The annual average salary for those who coach women's teams is $64,262 and the average for those who coach men's is $114,237

40 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Good for him, college assistants are getting paid crazy money. He made the smart move and took the better job

Ball State University (State) head baseball coach salary

The average Ball State University (State) head baseball coach salary was $285,801, which is 22 percent higher than the average salary for this job in Indiana, ...

Said the Top 25% pitching coach salary was $60-75,000, but that seems too low.   $85-115+ seems closer to being right for Div 1.  The annual average salary for those who coach women's teams is $64,262 and the average for those who coach men's is $114,237.

Definitely much better than a White Sox scouting salary.
Edited by caulfield12

17 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Right -- it's not like they teach bad habits or anything, it just seems like they don't do anything at all. At least with regard to position players.

I've said it before, but every player that makes it to the majors with the Sox is essentially the same player that he was when they acquired him, just with more reps. If they manage to get guys that are so talented that their ability trumps their flaws, then they'll be MLB players -- but they'll never be as good as they could be if they were actually developed.

TA when drafted: raw, extremely talented. Good instincts, good bat-to-ball skills, but overly aggressive in his approach and prone to unforced errors on defense.

TA at MLB level: raw, extremely talented. Good instincts, good bat-to-ball skills, but overly aggressive in his approach and prone to unforced errors on defense.

Eloy when acquired: huge power, good hit. Quickly outgrowing every position, but the bat will play anywhere. Could hit 20 homers in the MLB today even though he hasn't played past AA.

It's the same with all the rest, even Robert. The guy still has no clue how to choose a pitch to hit, he's just so good that he's still able to succeed. But imagine how good he COULD be. Montgomery seems like he'll be that, too.

Eloy is probably the poster child for the Sox' coaching failures. Defensively the were unable to get him a position, despite a decent athletic profile (certainly more fluid than Sheets) and offensively they never got him out of that terrible stance that basically concedes the inner 1/3 of the plate. Maybe that stance and approach works in the minors where pitchers are unable to consistently work the inside corner, but in MLB as we've seen it leads to a ton of swing and miss and weak contact into the ground.

If he comes up in every other system he's a 4 WAR player that hits 270/330/520 and plays a -10 run LF but is able to play it. In our system he can't play the field without hurting himself and he can't slash better than 270/310/450.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Eloy is probably the poster child for the Sox' coaching failures. Defensively the were unable to get him a position, despite a decent athletic profile (certainly more fluid than Sheets) and offensively they never got him out of that terrible stance that basically concedes the inner 1/3 of the plate. Maybe that stance and approach works in the minors where pitchers are unable to consistently work the inside corner, but in MLB as we've seen it leads to a ton of swing and miss and weak contact into the ground.

If he comes up in every other system he's a 4 WAR player that hits 270/330/520 and plays a -10 run LF but is able to play it. In our system he can't play the field without hurting himself and he can't slash better than 270/310/450.

He came from the Cub's farm system.  The DH wasn't in the NL yet so I have to wonder would he have been traded.

Sox are pretty bad at reducing players deficiencies. Sometimes I think they enhance them.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I could not agree with you more.  I could never understand it.  Does he think he looks cute up there with his left toe at some obscene angle?  Cheez, sometimes his left leg is actually quivering as he waits for the pitch.  I can't imagine any other team letting him stand that way.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 1:33 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

He was also an incredible QB before he hung ‘em up after his sophomore season. He would have definitely played both baseball/basketball at IU. Just an incredible athlete. So similar to Scott Rolen that it’s scary.