Soxtalk pod cast and their opinion of Anderson

vilehoopster

I just listened to the Soxtalk podcast, and the topic was "You be the GM". So fans were supposed to send in their ideas for how to fix the White Sox for next season, who they would sign, who they would, trade, whatever. Then Garfien and Ryan McGuffey would discuss each set of ideas and say what they thought was good or not so good or what was just plan unrealistic. 

So, on this pod cast, as is often the case with these two on other pod casts, they trashed Moncada and Eloy, and threw in Grandal for also. I get that completely and want those three gone, gone, gone next year. With that said, I don't begin to understand why they never have Tim Anderson in that group as a problem. I see him as a bigger problem then those other three combined. My one wish for spring training next year, more than any other, is for TA to not be on the Sox roster. 

I just don't get what Garfien and McGuffey are seeing in TA that I don't see. Even when they had the pod cast only on TA, about a month or so ago; they seemed to accept every excuse and quote Tim said, even offering their own excuses for Tim's play and behavior.  To me, often what I heard only made me want him gone even more. I just don't understand why they are so tough on Moncada and Eloy, but so forgiving of TA. 

At the end of the pod cast, McGuffy went on a big explanation about yes, the Sox need to add this and that, but how none of that will matter if the Sox don't get rid of the problem players. He said a quote like the Sox, "need to clean the water" and that they won't start to get better until they get rid of the "muck". 

I just don't see how those two don't see Anderson as the most mucked up problem in the clubhouse. 

• Like 2

They’re just covering their butts in case the Sox pick up his option. If he’s back, then at least they can be around him and not be on record saying they wanted him gone. 

My starting point of this offseason is that Moncada, Jimenez, and Anderson cannot be in spring training with the Sox.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I just listened to the Soxtalk podcast, and the topic was "You be the GM". So fans were supposed to send in their ideas for how to fix the White Sox for next season, who they would sign, who they would, trade, whatever. Then Garfien and Ryan McGuffey would discuss each set of ideas and say what they thought was good or not so good or what was just plan unrealistic. 

So, on this pod cast, as is often the case with these two on other pod casts, they trashed Moncada and Eloy, and threw in Grandal for also. I get that completely and want those three gone, gone, gone next year. With that said, I don't begin to understand why they never have Tim Anderson in that group as a problem. I see him as a bigger problem then those other three combined. My one wish for spring training next year, more than any other, is for TA to not be on the Sox roster. 

I just don't get what Garfien and McGuffey are seeing in TA that I don't see. Even when they had the pod cast only on TA, about a month or so ago; they seemed to accept every excuse and quote Tim said, even offering their own excuses for Tim's play and behavior.  To me, often what I heard only made me want him gone even more. I just don't understand why they are so tough on Moncada and Eloy, but so forgiving of TA. 

At the end of the pod cast, McGuffy went on a big explanation about yes, the Sox need to add this and that, but how none of that will matter if the Sox don't get rid of the problem players. He said a quote like the Sox, "need to clean the water" and that they won't start to get better until they get rid of the "muck". 

I just don't see how those two don't see Anderson as the most mucked up problem in the clubhouse. 

As has been stated when the "face of the franchise" seems to get into numerous confrontations with umpires. gets suspended multiple times, flips off fans, is almost always injured, has off field issues that appear to impact his on field performance...yea...that's a problem. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flavum said:

They’re just covering their butts in case the Sox pick up his option. If he’s back, then at least they can be around him and not be on record saying they wanted him gone. 

My starting point of this offseason is that Moncada, Jimenez, and Anderson cannot be in spring training with the Sox.

I don’t think any of them will be gone this year.

First, two of them are easy to move, but won’t return anything. Anderson could have his option declined, Eloy could probably still have most of his contract sent elsewhere, but if you do either of those you have no replacement and that makes it tough to pretend you can decide to win this year.

Moncada is unmovable without paying his deal or taking a contract like Sale back, and since they have no 3b without him, again they can’t pretend that they’re deciding to compete this year if they move him.

Everything so far - Reinsdorf’s press conference, every comment from Getz and now especially BARField, has been how they have so much talent and expect to win soon. Plus, we still have the revival of the Perez rumors. There’s no logic to this being them trying to deceive everyone, it won’t sell tickets and denying that they’re rebuilding might only drive up Perez’s price in a trade.

Reinsdorf insists that they have a good team that is one or two players away and can win soon, nothing fundamental has to change he just needs people on board with that decision. Whether the guys they brought in are dumb enough to believe this or they’re just repeating it because that’s what the boss wants who knows, but everything says they believe that they can decide to win this year. 

That also suggests that a reason why the GM was changed was that the last one might have questioned their natural ability to compete because they say so.

Regardless, that leaves all of them coming back because you can’t insist you have a ton of talent and are going to compete this year and then let guys go for nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flavum said:

The "young championship core!" :lol:

• Like 2

I feel like they have expressed their frustrations with Moncada and Eloy for quite some time now. Tim’s struggles are a bit more recent so I think they might be giving him more of a chance to rebound. 

There's no reason to trade Moncada; they need a 3B and they'd either eat 75% of the salary anyway, or throw in something good to entice a team to take that salary.  
Grandal isn't a member of the White Sox.  How does he get into the conversation?
I lean toward picking up Anderson's option. I know he isn't worth that cost, but I'd prefer neither Andrus again nor Montgomery rushed.  And that seems to be the Anderson alternative. 

That said, one thing that they need to do, and Hahn went short-shrift on during the rebuild, was some scrapheap work, and perhaps they can find an acceptable SS, at least one who can defend, via the heap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

For how much people on this board complain about local media not asking the Sox tough questions, we sure do get plenty of threads about opinions from the Water Carry podcast.

There are definitely meatball moments still, but they've been significantly less "puppies and rainbows" on the Sox for a while, McGuffey especially.

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

For how much people on this board complain about local media not asking the Sox tough questions, we sure do get plenty of threads about opinions from the Water Carry podcast.

I have been critical in the past about Garfien being to close to the organization and JR. But in the last few years he hasn't been afraid to call out the incompetence and the dysfunction.

And I have to give him credit for that.

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

Just sign Rosario to a one year plus option "make good" or bounce back deal with Anderson moving to second.

Depending on how things go, you can trade one or both at the deadline...although they could do far worse than a value extension to Rosario.

If Montgomery's anywhere close to Seager defensively...you have to leave him alone at SS, then you can move Rosario over to second when ready.

Rosario...RF...catcher...1-2 starting pitchers and the bullpen is so much heavy lifting though with a limited budget.

Should probably just move on from Hendriks but they will undoubtedly do the opposite out of sentimentality.

I'm so sick of listening to JR and Getz talk about the talent on the team. We finished with 101 losses! Everyone except Robert and (maybe) Cease should be moved if we can get any value at all. And to them saying "we're just a couple players away from competing for the Central division", just stop it. The only 2 players we could add that would make us competitive are Ruth and Gehrig! 

2 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

I'm so sick of listening to JR and Getz talk about the talent on the team. We finished with 101 losses! Everyone except Robert and (maybe) Cease should be moved if we can get any value at all. And to them saying "we're just a couple players away from competing for the Central division", just stop it. The only 2 players we could add that would make us competitive are Ruth and Gehrig! 

They lost 101 games because the 'talent' that they have is all on paper, in reality raw 'talent' alone gets you nowhere once at at MLB level you need to also have the right mental attitude and professionalism, something that most of the current squad lack, and equally they lack the leadership at player, coach, manager and GM level to change that attitude.

• Hawk 1

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

There are definitely meatball moments still, but they've been significantly less "puppies and rainbows" on the Sox for a while, McGuffey especially.

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I have been critical in the past about Garfien being to close to the organization and JR. But in the last few years he hasn't been afraid to call out the incompetence and the dysfunction.

And I have to give him credit for that.

Do they still want to operate with the KW/Hahn method of sign over the hill vets? I can 100% see Chuck going "You know who the Sox should sign? Whit Merrifield." Or saying "Perez is a proven winner, it's what the Sox need." "Nicky Lopez sure is fast. Provides speed. Not really sure about this Jose Rodriguez kid."

Chuck's "THE WHITE SOX JUST SIGNED EDWIN FREAKIN ENCARNACION" and sell job on Hanser Alberto stand out in recent memory. Sure, he's mad now, but the critique's come off as someone that invested in FTX upset that their money is gone. It's a big reason I dropped them from my podcast rotation.

I also understand that they're pseudo-employed by the Sox.

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

Do they still want to operate with the KW/Hahn method of sign over the hill vets? I can 100% see Chuck going "You know who the Sox should sign? Whit Merrifield." Or saying "Perez is a proven winner, it's what the Sox need." "Nicky Lopez sure is fast. Provides speed. Not really sure about this Jose Rodriguez kid."

Chuck's "THE WHITE SOX JUST SIGNED EDWIN FREAKIN ENCARNACION" and sell job on Hanser Alberto stand out in recent memory. Sure, he's mad now, but the critique's come off as someone that invested in FTX upset that their money is gone. It's a big reason I dropped them from my podcast rotation.

I also understand that they're pseudo-employed by the Sox.

The sign old guys thing now has at least shifted to "culture" guys since Pedro can't run a clubhouse or w.e. (they rip on him plenty), but they have said that they want prospects to earn/win jobs instead of just being handed them like Colas essentially was last year. There's always going to be some meatball in that podcast given what it is, but with the way the last two seasons have gone they've cranked up the realism.

yeah, said it before but while it's nice they aren't acting like you can be positive with this trash, when fans were accurately pointing out some of the fatal mistakes happening in real time, they were called complainers by guff and garfein.

but regardless happy there is a soxtalk podcast.

• Thanks 1