2024 Offseason Plan - "Try" to Compete Edition

ChiSox59

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Bellinger feels like at least $125-150 million coming off a 2023 MVP votes type of season and possesses the ability to play two positions (especially CF) so well.

He's not guaranteed to be fixed. Bellinger was really bad for like 2-3 seasons before last year. There's a lot of volatility there and he might get a 9 figure deal but I wouldn't offer him that. Just way too much risk. 

4 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

He's not guaranteed to be fixed. Bellinger was really bad for like 2-3 seasons before last year. There's a lot of volatility there and he might get a 9 figure deal but I wouldn't offer him that. Just way too much risk. 

Let's take our mind off of being the White Sox for a moment and think about a team say...the Arizona Diamondbacks. 20th in OPS from their CF spot this year, 15th in OPS from their RF spot, 28th in OPS from their DH spot. One of their OFs, Lourdes Gurriel, is a free agent. They have playoff and WS revenue. Madison Bumgarner's contract is mercifully ending. They have Druw Jones in the minor leagues as a young OF, but he's down at A ball so he's several years away, no help next year. They don't want to take a step back. They have a middle of their order with Moreno and Walker in it, both of whom are righties.

Is that a team that could, and perhaps should, be in the market for a $200+ million OF? 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nice to hear Getz says “I don’t like our team”. Those words would have never have been said by the previous regime. 

Did he say that today - that is actually very refreshing to here. To be honest - outside of keeping Grifol, I can't really argue with much he has done since he took the job. I do recognize keeping Grifol is a huge component - but its also fair to wonder whether he had a choice in the matter anyway?  I have never got the impression that JR wants to pay a mgr to not manage. Will he eventually - yes, but after one season, not unless it is an abjunct disaster (and yes '23 was a disaster - but isn't Bevington the only time he has done it in his era - thinking back to Bulls/Sox ownership)?  

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Let's take our mind off of being the White Sox for a moment and think about a team say...the Arizona Diamondbacks. 20th in OPS from their CF spot this year, 15th in OPS from their RF spot, 28th in OPS from their DH spot. One of their OFs, Lourdes Gurriel, is a free agent. They have playoff and WS revenue. Madison Bumgarner's contract is mercifully ending. They have Druw Jones in the minor leagues as a young OF, but he's down at A ball so he's several years away, no help next year. They don't want to take a step back. They have a middle of their order with Moreno and Walker in it, both of whom are righties.

Is that a team that could, and perhaps should, be in the market for a $200+ million OF? 

Send them Eloy :)

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Did he say that today - that is actually very refreshing to here. To be honest - outside of keeping Grifol, I can't really argue with much he has done since he took the job. I do recognize keeping Grifol is a huge component - but its also fair to wonder whether he had a choice in the matter anyway?  I have never got the impression that JR wants to pay a mgr to not manage. Will he eventually - yes, but after one season, not unless it is an abjunct disaster (and yes '23 was a disaster - but isn't Bevington the only time he has done it in his era - thinking back to Bulls/Sox ownership)?  

He says it in this clip. It was good to hear because all of us don't like this team either CG.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

He says it in this clip. It was good to hear because all of us don't like this team either CG.

Can’t wait to see a team that is last in homers next year.  Sounds like they’re going to focus way too much on base running and defense.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Can’t wait to see a team that is last in homers next year.  Sounds like they’re going to focus way too much on base running and defense.

I mean if he can actually fix one of the chronic problems this team has had I’ll be intrigued.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I mean if he can actually fix one of the chronic problems this team has had I’ll be intrigued.

I don’t consider it necessarily fixing if it’s one-year stop gaps on a team that has no chance of contending.  I’d much rather see what Popeye can do at 2nd than Lopez.  If this team has DeJong, Lopez and Hedges all starting….god help us.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I don’t consider it necessarily fixing if it’s one-year stop gaps on a team that has no chance of contending.  I’d much rather see what Popeye can do at 2nd than Lopez.  If this team has DeJong, Lopez and Hedges all starting….god help us.

I mean none of it matters. There is no reason you can’t see what Popeye can do. Lopez will be lucky to get a major league deal.

49 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Bevington lasted two years as manager.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

You think Bellinger will get $200M? I'd be shocked. I have him around $125. It's not something I'd be comfortable with either. 

• Haha 1

I keep trying to think of how I would build the roster but whichever way I go kinda depends on what they think of Sosa and Colas. Like if they want to start either/both on the roster and just let them play or not.

My prediction is they may not be high on either and may just sign a stop gap at both 2B (Adam Frazier) and SS (DeJong) (until Montgomery is MLB ready at SS).

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I keep trying to think of how I would build the roster but whichever way I go kinda depends on what they think of Sosa and Colas. Like if they want to start either/both on the roster and just let them play or not.

My prediction is they may not be high on either and may just sign a stop gap at both 2B (Adam Frazier) and SS (DeJong) (until Montgomery is MLB ready at SS).

Nothing Getz has said makes me think Colas has a future with the team

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

2024 is the perfect opportunity to provide opportunities, and to grab a few Rule 5 picks and perhaps other prospects via trades, and hope a couple pan out without having to worry about contending.

MLB Games Played / Player / 2024 Age

Opening Day 2024

• 86 Romy Gonzalez 27
  • 75 Oscar Colas 25
  • 65 Gregory Santos 24
  • 63 Lenyn Sosa 24
  • 45 Luis Patino 24
  • 34 Carlos Perez 27

Possibly Ready in 2024

• 36 Korey Lee 25
  • 1 Jose Rodriguez 23
  • 0 Nick Nastrini 24
  • 0 Jake Eder 25
  • 0 Yoelqui Cespedes 26

Goodbye296 Gavin Sheets 28 (-1.7 career bWAR)

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I don't understand after one bounceback year after being absolute garbage for 3 years straight. 

This is the market for players that have performed at his level. The fact that he's a high-risk guy is why he's not getting a $300 million contract. 

This is another version of "why building your team through free agency, rather than through the draft, is very risky". Your hope with him is he gives you a couple seasons that are strong, and that puts you over the top. You cannot look at a guy like this and think "This is a long term piece I can build around", you have to think "This puts me over the top right now and that's why I will spend the money". 

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I feel like at this point Grifol is just a sacrificial lamb. It is obvious we aren't competing this year, so why fire a guy and have to pay him to bring someone else in so this team can still lose 100 games because of the roster construction?