Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

9 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

No but that’s not what the Sox asked for either. They asked for 2 top 100 players, two fringe top 100 prospects, and a lotto. If I was a reds fan, I would trade 2 top 100 players, a fringe top 100, and a lotto for Cease (eg, one less fringe top 100 guy). Does that answer your dumb question?

Again …it’s only dumb because it doesn’t meet the narrative. You wouldn’t do it …. That was the asking price according to the Reds writer who has nothing to gain by lying. 

1 minute ago, Rolle Tide said:

Again …it’s only dumb because it doesn’t meet the narrative. You wouldn’t do it …. That was the asking price according to the Reds writer who has nothing to gain by lying. 

I’m not disputing that report! I don’t know how much more clearly I can say it. Lowder and arroyo are top 100 prospects albeit on the back half of the top 100. Petty and Phillips are fringe top 100. Phillips is no longer a top 100 guy on updated lists! Maybe because he walked the park in AAA and got shelled in MLB late last year, which happened after the list that you keep referencing was last updated…

7 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Why would the Reds writer lie about it? The Reds moved on because of the steep price. 

And a Chicago reporter said it was 4 prospects, with the exact type of return that’s been rumored.  

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Except Phillips is no longer a top 100 prospect….so they didn’t ask for 3 top 100 prospects…

where did he go? He was a September call up that pitched 20 innings and is 22 years old. You believe he dropped from 68 out of the top 100? So I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt even though I doubt he drops that far. So the ask was 2 top 100, 2 fringe top 100, and a 5th player. Got it! 

https://www.redsminorleagues.com/2023/11/20/cincinnati-reds-4-prospect-connor-phillips-rhp/

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

And a Chicago reporter said it was 4 prospects, with the exact type of return that’s been rumored.  

Lowder, Arroyo, Phillips, and Petty is 2 premium prospects and 2 additional non-top 100 mlb prospects but top 10 for the reds. I don’t see it as a ridiculous request. Take either Petty or Phillips away and it’s a fair deal imo.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Ok so 2 top 100, 2 fringe top 100, and there may or may not have been a 5th guy. I’m guessing the Reds didn’t walk over the 5th unnamed piece. 

Orioles fans won’t like this but I believe Cease’s value right now is comparable to Luis Castillo in July 2022. The Reds landed 3 of the Mariners top 5 prospects (1 was fringe top 10 in mlb, 1 was top 100 in mlb, 1 was fringe top 100 in mlb) and then a lotto prospect. I don’t think Cease will land a top 10 prospect but 2 in the 50-100 range and 2 in the 100-200 range is certainly possible.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rolle Tide said:

Ok so 2 top 100, 2 fringe top 100, and there may or may not have been a 5th guy. I’m guessing the Reds didn’t walk over the 5th unnamed piece. 

It wasn’t two fringe top 100.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolle Tide said:

That doesn’t answer my question…. If you were a Reds fan would you want them to deal 3 Top 100 players, a fringe top 100, and another prospect for 2 years of Cease? 

If the honest answer isn’t no, we can agree to disagree.

If it means the MLB team is competitive and has a chance to make the playoffs and win a title, absolutely. 

Im about to have to watch my favorite team slog through a 90-100 loss season. I would give away our top 5 prospects if it meant we would win 90 games and make the playoffs. 

I would give them away if it just meant I would enjoy watching the season in 2024. This is about to be miserable and a bunch of prospects who might be good in 2-3 years doesn’t really matter much to me as a fan. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Orioles fans won’t like this but I believe Cease’s value right now is comparable to Luis Castillo in July 2022. The Reds landed 3 of the Mariners top 5 prospects (1 was fringe top 10 in mlb, 1 was top 100 in mlb, 1 was fringe top 100 in mlb) and then a lotto prospect. I don’t think Cease will land a top 10 prospect but 2 in the 50-100 range and 2 in the 100-200 range is certainly possible.

Yeah I mean not to over simplify it—but there are 2 paths to acquiring a TOR SP who can immediately step into your rotation.  You can commit to a 9-figure contract to snag a top FA or you can throw a similar value in prospects at it instead.  Either way—the cost to obtain what Cease is, is very high and there’s no way around that.  It is what it is.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

9 and 11 aren’t fringe 100

Those two being Carlos Jorge and Sammy Stafura, neither of whom have made anybody's top 100 list. Jorge is at a-ball, so he has room to grow. Stafura just had a meh year in 12 games of rookie ball, so I wouldn't really call him "fringe top 100". 

At some point, I think there's going to be 4 pages of arguments over the meaning of the word "is". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Those two being Carlos Jorge and Sammy Stafura, neither of whom have made anybody's top 100 list. Jorge is at a-ball, so he has room to grow. Stafura just had a meh year in 12 games of rookie ball, so I wouldn't really call him "fringe top 100". 

At some point, I think there's going to be 4 pages of arguments over the meaning of the word "is". 

https://youtu.be/j4XT-l-_3y0?si=CmEAVhKC-WhUiqEG

3 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

There have been conflicting reports on the Reds thing. Lowder, Petty, Arroyo, Phillips plus someone else is certainly excessive. 

But the other report....Lowder, Petty, Jorge and Stafura....thats actually pretty reasonable. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

There have been conflicting reports on the Reds thing. Lowder, Petty, Arroyo, Phillips plus someone else is certainly excessive. 

But the other report....Lowder, Petty, Jorge and Stafura....thats actually pretty reasonable. 

Yep, it’s called common sense.  

32 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

So I just spent an hour on a Reds’ prospect site.  Even that excessive package you mentioned above would be underwhelming to me personally.  

Like I get it, but I’m not tuning in next year excited.   

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

So I just spent an hour on a Reds’ prospect site.  Even that excessive package you mentioned above would be underwhelming to me personally.  

Like I get it, but I’m not tuning in next year excited.   

Maybe Getz can get Ruth, Aaron, Clemens, and Nolan Ryan?

36 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Maybe Getz can get Ruth, Aaron, Clemens, and Nolan Ryan?

Congrats you’ve been added to the Hall of Fame List. I suggest everyone else do the same.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Edited …..*****Imagine how little that means to me!*****

You’re spending a considerable amount of time on the message board for a team that’s not even in your division. And getting upset about random posters’ inconsequential opinions.

So….I imagine it means quite a bit….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic