Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well it is..but so is third and he can handle that too.

SS and CF are the only premium positions as far as I’m concerned. You can find 2B for fairly cheap in free agency and I don’t think Westburg has enough power to ever be an All-Star at 3B so I wouldn’t consider him a premium player at that position either.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Southwest Sider said:

What do you think Elias has offered? 

Honestly, no idea. I suspect that whatever he is offering isn’t an offer Getz should take…just as what Getz is asking for is a deal I don’t think Elias Shonda make.

As I said, each side is doing what they are supposed to.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

SS and CF are the only premium positions as far as I’m concerned. You can find 2B for fairly cheap in free agency and I don’t think Westburg has enough power to ever be an All-Star at 3B so I wouldn’t consider him a premium player at that position either.

lol..well as long as that’s how you are concerned, we will ignore the other evidence.  Glad that’s cleared up.

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In your dream scenario where every youngster but Ortiz fits on the roster and rotates at DH...it's Holliday Henderson Westburg in the infield.

Which means Mayo would be blocked.

And nobody is going to acquire him to stick him at a corner outfield spot...nor will they with Basallo either.

Hence, more value to other teams.  But not if they hold onto him too long.

And this still has no bearing on what positions Westburg can play at the Ml level. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But your reasoning is poor and wrong, so I just ignored it and moved on to the idea of your last paragraph.

That said, Kjerstad should be on the table for Cease. We agree there.

If you truly believe this and not just trolling, then you don't understand the dynamics of a trade between 2 teams. 

Needs and demands of individual teams ay into the dynamic of negotiations. 

This does explain your stance on negotiations so at least you are consistent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

lol..well as long as that’s how you are concerned, we will ignore the other evidence.  Glad that’s cleared up.

He showed minimal power in his initial MLB stint. That’s just a fact. Maybe he grows into his power at the MLB level but that’s not a guarantee. I’d be perfectly fine with him as the 2nd piece in a trade like this, just not the headliner. Need someone with more power and a higher ceiling as the headliner.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

SS and CF are the only 'premium' positions. He's not wrong. 2B is where those who can't actually play SS due to average D, lack of an arm, or their bat is too weak end up. 3B is where SS go whose body fills out too much and they lose the ability to react quick enough for SS.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would add catcher. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Jones isn’t on the table apparently. Your hopes and dreams that he is doesn’t make it so.

If Getz wants to risk Cease for another several months, have at it.  It’s a decision that could pay off but it’s also a huge potential problem but hey, have at it if that’s the risk you want to take. Elias won’t bid against himself because he’s not a moron.

Come on man, just because a guy isn’t on the table yet doesn’t mean he won’t be eventually.  The off-season isn’t even close to over right now.

And it’s not bidding against yourself if the player doesn’t have to be sold right now.  Even if there is only one interested party, you have it to make it worth our while or else we can wait.  And yes, that opens us up to risk that ideally we’d avoid, but it’s worth the gamble if we all we can get is a subpar offer.

As for you guys, going with current group you have would be super risky and I think you will pay a much steeper price come July vs. what you would right now for Cease or a similarly talented pitcher.

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on man, just because a guy isn’t on the table yet doesn’t mean he won’t be eventually.  The off-season isn’t even close to over right now.

And it’s not bidding against yourself if the player doesn’t have to be sold right now.  Even if there is only one interested party, you have it to make it worth our while or else we can wait.  And yes, that opens us up to risk that ideally we’d avoid, but it’s worth the gamble if we all we can get is a subpar offer.

As for you guys, going with current group you have would be super risky and I think you will pay a much steeper price come July vs. what you would right now for Cease or a similarly talented pitcher.

Would have been much better off with Hicks than Kimbrel.

But they're in the same White Sox bargain bin FA pool.

Just like Flaherty as their big addition last deadline.  Value oriented but affordable for short term veterans who simply aren't difference makers anymore.

Edited by caulfield12

Premium positions are C, SS, CF.

middle of the spectrum are 2B, 3B, RF.

you hide guys at 1B and LF.

A good defensive 3B or 2B is obviously nice to have, but it’s not a premium position. Jake Burger is able to fake it at both, for gods sake. You’re not gonna see him faking it in that top tier, just as an example. Most guys playing 2B or 3B are only there bc they couldn’t cut it in the top tier and had to move down the spectrum. 

Edited by Pale Sox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Snopek said:

Surprised to see greg posting over at the orioles hangout board. Either that or someone made a very accurate greg parody account.

Did we just trade Greg for SportsGuy? Goddamn. I would have assumed he was an untouchable. 

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Woof…this may be a worse offseason than ours so far

Didn’t you hear? All their prospects are guaranteed to work out and no one will have regression. Why add anything?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pale Sox said:

Premium positions are C, SS, CF.

middle of the spectrum are 2B, 3B, RF.

you hide guys at 1B and LF.

A good defensive 3B or 2B is obviously nice to have, but it’s not a premium position. Jake Burger is able to fake it at both, for gods sake. You’re not gonna see him faking it in that top tier, just as an example. Most guys playing 2B or 3B are only there bc they couldn’t cut it in the top tier and had to move down the spectrum. 

This is a fair post. Either way, Westburg holds a much higher value than Kjerstad position wise and defensively.  

The worst part is that my grandmother in law is 96 and has been a ride-or-die O's fan since Day 1 and we've bonded over baseball. I'd like Cease to go there to make them better for her.

This thread is making it tricky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic