Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 hour ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Cease, Soroka, Fedde, Kopech, (Shuster, Nastrini, Eder, etc)

I’m probably delusional but I just have this feeling that one of Soroka, Fedde, or Kopech will have a strong first half of the season and be a desirable asset for the Sox at the trade deadline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, T R U said:

I would love to know what has been offered for Cease from other clubs.

For most of this thread, I have been under the assumption that there haven't been strong offers and Getz has been waiting it out to improve on that.

I am now starting to feel like they have gotten good, strong offers and Getz is just not budging from some kind of ridiculous ask he is staying firm on.

I think Getz is crazy if he’s willing to risk potential injury and/or another down first half of starts for Cease.  Getz could get lucky but I don’t think it’s a smart play.  The risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think Getz is crazy if he’s willing to risk potential injury and/or another down first half of starts for Cease.  Getz could get lucky but I don’t think it’s a smart play.  The risk outweighs the reward in my opinion.

I think with his injury history it's a good gamble. For the last three years he has had 32 or 33 starts. 

It's always a gamble with pitchers but with him it's probably a good one. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think with his injury history it's a good gamble. For the last three years he has had 32 or 33 starts. 

And they don’t even need 32/33 starts from him. Just until July, ~18 starts. 

2 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Cease, Soroka, Fedde, Kopech, (Shuster, Nastrini, Eder, etc)

If Cease is one the team, their rotation will be: Dylan Cease, Erick Fedde, Mike Soroka, Michael Kopech and Chris Flexen with the kids in the minors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Cease is one the team, their rotation will be: Dylan Cease, Erick Fedde, Mike Soroka, Michael Kopech and Chris Flexen with the kids in the minors. 

Touki in the pen and Scholtens in AAA (if he has options)? I think we would be perfectly fine DFAing them if needed though.

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sox should sign another proven starter like Lorenzen on a cheap 1 year deal. I really don’t want any of the minor league guys pitching for the Sox this season unless they’ve actually earned a promotion. Zero chance Soroka, Lopech, Flexen would handle a full workload anyways so I don’t see the harm in signing another cheap vet to eat innings and potentially flip in July.

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Sox should sign another proven starter like Lorenzen on a cheap 1 year deal. I really don’t want any of the minor league guys pitching for the Sox this season unless they’ve actually earned a promotion. Zero chance Soroka, Lopech, Flexen would handle a full workload anyways so I don’t see the harm in signing another cheap vet to eat innings and potentially flip in July.

Touki is your Lorenzen in Getz’s eyes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This is the Sox we are talking about, not other teams.  Anything bad that can happen, will happen and their luck with injuries has been absolutely awful over the past few years.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

However the "reward" of trading him now to the best offer may not be that great, wherein you could then get greater reward if the risk doesn't manifest. 

Some people are saying Getz may have an astronomical asking price but I would imagine that's further from the truth. We've heard all about how teams don't want to part with x prospect or y prospect, even though those types should absolutely be in the deal and aren't being offered. Unless I'm missing something the reports are no one has met the price, not that the price is absurd.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Southwest Sider said:

Some people are saying Getz may have an astronomical asking price but I would imagine that's further from the truth. We've heard all about how teams don't want to part with x prospect or y prospect, even though those types should absolutely be in the deal and aren't being offered. Unless I'm missing something the reports are no one has met the price, not that the price is absurd.

I mean it’s all pretty subjective by nature, so isn’t it likely that it’s both? Teams haven’t met the price because they think the price is absurd?

20 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I mean it’s all pretty subjective by nature, so isn’t it likely that it’s both? Teams haven’t met the price because they think the price is absurd?

Cant really speak for the Yankees but from the sounds of it the Orioles are reluctant to trade almost any of their top prospects, what's "absurd" to them would not be absurd to the greater MLB community when evaluating a potential deal I'd imagine due to Orioles inability to reconcile losing top prospects.

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Why not both? Flexen really shouldn’t be a shoe in for a starting spot and Soroka/Kopech don’t have the best track record in terms of injuries.

$$$ that Jerry won’t want to spend.  The running theme of all the pitchers Getz acquired is that they were cheap.  I think Lorenzen will cost more per year than Fedde’s $7.5 million salary, even if he only gets a one year deal.

i think the plan is to start with this mediocre rotation of vets and replace them with the young starters from Charlotte if they falter.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

27 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

$$$ that Jerry won’t want to spend.  The running theme of all the pitchers Getz acquired is that they were cheap.  I think Lorenzen will cost more per year than Fedde’s $7.5 million salary, even if he only gets a one year deal.

i think the plan is to start with this mediocre rotation of vets and replace them with the young starters from Charlotte if they falter.

I think Lorenzen can be had for 2/$20M. More than Fedde? Sure but not by much.

1 hour ago, Southwest Sider said:

However the "reward" of trading him now to the best offer may not be that great, wherein you could then get greater reward if the risk doesn't manifest. 

I can recall seeing posters who know people as well as articles posted in this thread that have said the Sox asking price is sky high on this.

I think no one has met the price because the price is absurd. I just don't see a reality where no one has offered the Sox a fair trade package, there is obviously something else that has prevented this from getting done by now.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

I can recall seeing posters who know people as well as articles posted in this thread that have said the Sox asking price is sky high on this.

I think no one has met the price because the price is absurd. I just don't see a reality where no one has offered the Sox a fair trade package, there is obviously something else that has prevented this from getting done by now.

Speculative, we don’t know what’s been offered. 

Just now, SkokieSox said:

Speculative, we don’t know what’s been offered. 

You're right, we don't. You can use common sense and history to tell you that a durable SP that is cheap and under control for 2 more seasons with Cy Young potential doesn't get the cold shoulder when put on the market.

The only reasonable explanation, or assumption, at this point is that the asking price by Getz is probably outside of the realm of reality at this time.

16 minutes ago, T R U said:

You're right, we don't. You can use common sense and history to tell you that a durable SP that is cheap and under control for 2 more seasons with Cy Young potential doesn't get the cold shoulder when put on the market.

The only reasonable explanation, or assumption, at this point is that the asking price by Getz is probably outside of the realm of reality at this time.

When I see reports like the Yankees aren’t willing to part with Jones or Hampton in this trade, I don’t know how you can say that

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic