Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Let's get a BA Snelling scouting Report in here.

3. Robby Snelling
LHP

Ht: 6'3" | Wt: 210 | B-T: R-L

BA Grade: 60/High

Track Record: The Padres lured Snelling away from a commitment to Louisiana State in 2022 with a $3 million bonus, which was $1 million over slot for the 39th pick. In high school he starred in baseball and was a four-star recruit as a linebacker in football. Snelling was worth every penny. He breezed through 11 starts in his pro debut at Low-A Lake Elsinore with a 1.57 ERA, then made seven starts at High-A Fort Wayne and four more at Double-A San Antonio, including five no-hit innings in his second Texas League start. Snelling’s 1.82 ERA was the lowest of any minor league pitcher with at least 100 innings. He finished his first season in pro ball as the BA Minor League Pitcher of the Year.

Scouting Report: Broad shouldered with a thick, muscular lower half, Snelling shed roughly 10 pounds in the offseason following his draft year to become more whippy with his delivery. A spike-grip, 11-to-5 curveball was one of the better breakers in his prep class, but it has played up because of the way he locates and tunnels it off of a 95-96 mph fastball with ride. His curve velocity ranges from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. Snelling began developing a changeup after the draft and it has some bottom, even if it is a bit firm at 4-5 mph slower than his heater. He also began throwing a tight, above-average slider in 2023, another weapon against lefthanded hitters. Still very much a linebacker on the mound, Snelling is an intense competitor who is unfazed by umpires’ questionable calls and the plays that do not go his way, which contributes to his profile as a sum-of-his-parts pitcher.

The Future: A dominant first season cemented Snelling’s floor as at least a No. 3 starter. He should receive an invite to big league spring training and could be on the MLB radar as soon as 2024.

Scouting Grades Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 60

27th ranked prospect on BA's Top 100.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Sure seems that way.  Just got to hope that all the rumors of a high price still hold true and this is the market coming to us vs. Getz actually caving.

The Cole injury concerns seem to have set off a flurry of rumors/activity. I see no rational reason why Getz would lower his ask now given that Cease has looked stellar in spring training. The demand seems to be there.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

George Ofman…  Bruce Levine’s twin brother who also never breaks any baseball news whatsoever.

Every rando around sports media seems to want to get in on the action. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like the Burnes package more

I read somewhere (maybe Heyman) that we wanted "one and a half times" the Burnes return. If Burnes got 36m SV, we want 54m SV.

For reference, this would be approximately Jones (34) plus Hampton (16).

I can't imagine that Rangers package would be anywhere near 54m SV.

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I read somewhere (maybe Heyman) that we wanted "one and a half times" the Burnes return. If Burnes got 36m SV, we want 54m SV.

For reference, this would be approximately Jones (34) plus Hampton (16).

I can't imagine that Rangers package would be anywhere near 54m SV.

I read the "one and a half times" line today too. Don't remember who tweeted it, but with that extra year of control the ask doesn't seem that outrageous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The Cole injury concerns seem to have set off a flurry of rumors/activity. I see no rational reason why Getz would lower his ask now given that Cease has looked stellar in spring training. The demand seems to be there.

I also think that’s a big part of it.  I haven’t seen any actual spring training games since they aren’t televised, but the velocity being there and likely the slider looking sharper helps alleviate any concerns about 2024 being a redux of 2023.  And the chance of landing a possible cost controlled ace this late into spring training is super fucking valuable.  Maybe the baseball gods are finally go to reward us with a mega package after years of torture.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'd be cool prying Head as well. Wonder if De Vries could be on the table too?

Doubt it.  They learned a major lesson from the Tatis move...and doubt Sox would push for a guy they never would have ponied up the money for.  Too far away from majors as well.

Has to be a pitcher mixed in there...that's critical.

Edited by caulfield12

Here's the Dillon Head scouting Report.

8. Dillon Head
OF

Ht: 5'11" | Wt: 180 | B-T: L-L

BA Grade: 55/Extreme

Track Record: The Padres certainly have an amateur type under general manager A.J. Preller--young, toolsy and plays up the middle. See: Jackson Merrill and James Wood in the 2021 draft, Robert Hassell III in 2020 and CJ Abrams in 2019. Head, the Padres’ first-rounder in 2023, fits the bill. He was the best position prospect in Homewood-Flossmoor High history as he hit .485/.568/.814 as a senior while striking out just five times in 118 plate appearances and going 31-for-31 in stolen bases. The Padres signed Head for a slightly-under slot $2.8 million as the 25th overall pick, and he finished his first pro summer at Low-A Lake Elsinore after dominating the Arizona Complex League in 14 games.

Scouting Report: Blessed with a ton of natural athletic ability, Head has plus-plus speed. The Padres clocked him at 6.3 seconds in the 60-yard dash ahead of the draft. That will serve Head well on the bases as he gets more comfortable reading pitchers, as well as in the outfield, where he has good instincts and solid arm strength. Presently, Head is a gap-to-gap hitter with a hit-it-where-it’s-pitched approach that allows him to put the ball in play and showcase his wheels. The lefthanded hitter cut down a high leg kick heading into the draft, improving his timing and balance. His hit tool is well ahead of the power, but the Padres believe Head could develop 15-20 homer power as he fills out a wiry strong frame. He showed strong swing decisions with 15 walks, 19 strikeouts and an elite in-zone chase rate of 7.6%.

The Future: Head is a good bet to develop into an everyday center fielder and could impact games with menacing speed and surprising pop for a leadoff hitter. He finished his first summer in pro ball in Lake Elsinore and will likely return to the California League to start 2024.

Scouting Grades Hit: 55 | Power: 40 | Run: 70 | Field: 60 | Arm: 55

• Like 2

Regardless of what return package we as fans want, there is no doubt that Getz should be saying to all three interested teams, or if there are more, submit your best final offers.  There is no more selling higher on Cease than after tonight.  He just had a nasty start with 8 strikeouts in 3.1 innings, he’s healthy, he still has a full two seasons of control, and multiple teams have starter injuries/needs.  There should be zero reason Cease makes another start for the Sox.  Period.  Avoid any slight chance and risk of poor performance and more importantly, a disastrous injury.  If Cease pitches for the Sox again, Getz will have royally focked up.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic