Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

36 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How so? From a value perspective, Duran and Ortiz are comparable. Porter and Hall are comparable. It all depends on how you value Leiter. I’d say he’s at least equal in value to the #64 draft pick, probably even better.

I said a much lowered ask. This board would have been apoplectic at that deal in November now it’s like “oh it’s just like the Ortiz deal cool”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I said a much lowered ask. This board would have been apoplectic at that deal in November now it’s like “oh it’s just like the Ortiz deal cool”

I haven't seen one person on this board yet say they'd accept that Rangers deal.  I think we'd all revolt.

49 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

How so? From a value perspective, Duran and Ortiz are comparable. Porter and Hall are comparable. It all depends on how you value Leiter. I’d say he’s at least equal in value to the #64 draft pick, probably even better.

34th pick…which is significantly more valuable than the 64th pick.

I’d also definitely Ortiz over a guy with a 7th percentile chase rate and poor K & BB rates over the course of his minor league career.  

20 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Agreed.

The Padres will give two Top 100 guys, but they probably won't amount to anything significant when all is said and done.

The only guy they've really regretted trading has been Nats' outfielder James Wood in the original Soto deal.

Edited by caulfield12

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d also definitely Ortiz over a guy with a 7th percentile chase rate and poor K & BB rates over the course of his minor league career.  

How much did they pay Porter though?

He was one of the top 2-3 preps coming into that draft but fell due to signability/college concerns.

If you go back thirty years or so of White Sox history they have never had a second round pick light it up in the majors.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is how I look at it.  Ortiz >>> Duran.  Leiter = Hall. Plus Porter (backend top 100) that I like.  

It's a really comparable offer. And I hate that offer for Cease

EDITED: I forgot they also gave up a comp pick.

I’d wager that most baseball front office types would place more value on Hall than Leiter right now.  I’d put Porter and Hall on somewhat equal footing even if the latter has significant reliever risk.  Leiter is tough because he has talent but you’re gambling on your org being able to fix him.  I’d take the 34th pick in the draft and corresponding bonus allotment at this point over Jack.  And as I said in a different post, I’d take definitely Ortiz over Duran.  At some point we need to value plate discipline and smart swing decisions and nothing suggests Duran will ever fit that billing.  It’s a disappointing package and only hope would be Bannister being “all in” on Porter & Leiter.

25 minutes ago, T R U said:

I gotta say, I would be pretty disappointed with a Duran, Porter, Leiter package.

Think I would have to crawl back to Balta and baseball_gal_aly and apologize to them if that's what happens.

Same here…not going to keep poking the bear and risk upsetting the baseball gods until a deal is actually final.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d wager that most baseball front office types would place more value on Hall than Leiter right now.  I’d put Porter and Hall on somewhat equal footing even if the latter has significant reliever risk.  Leiter is tough because he has talent but you’re gambling on your org being able to fix him.  I’d take the 34th pick in the draft and corresponding bonus allotment at this point over Jack.  And as I said in a different post, I’d take definitely Ortiz over Duran.  At some point we need to value plate discipline and smart swing decisions and nothing suggests Duran will ever fit that billing.  It’s a disappointing package and only hope would be Bannister being “all in” on Porter & Leiter.

85-90% Hall is a reliever this time next year unless the Milwaukee pitching factory can fix him.

Risk around Porter and Hall fairly similar.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How much did they pay Porter though?

He was one of the top 2-3 preps coming into that draft but fell due to signability/college concerns.

If you go back thirty years or so of White Sox history they have never had a second round pick light it up in the majors.

Why does any of this matter?

• Like 1

Just now, DirtySox said:

I hope the Sox get close with SD or the Yankees and Getz goes back to the Rangers with a "for Langford he's yours" last chance Hail Mary.

Other than that, yuck on a TEX package. 

yup.

I want Snelling and Thorpe.  I wonder if Eloy would interest them as well.  Don't they also have a DH black hole..

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Porter was ranked around 15 pre-draft if I remember right,

Though he was MLB Pipeline's top-rated pitching prospect in the 2022 Draft, the Rangers managed to float him to the 109th pick, where they used the savings from taking Kumar Rocker at No. 3 to pay Porter a fourth-round-record $3.7 million.

18 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yea, typo on my part. Either way, Leiter is just a couple years removed from the #2 overall pick and still has big upside. Basically what the Sox would get out of the #34 pick (or worse when you consider their Jacob Gonzalez pick). Also, Duran was a top 100 mlb prospect in summer 2022 before he graduated. And he’s already shown some mlb success unlike ortiz despite being a year younger than ortiz. I stand by my statement that their values are comparable.

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

yup.

I want Snelling and Thorpe.  I wonder if Eloy would interest them as well.  Don't they also have a DH black hole..

A package involving Snelling and Thorpe would be fantastic (although I’m sure would disappoint many posters because it’s pitcher centric).

I know that what really matters is what the Sox could get in return for Cease, but I'd much rather see him in a Padres jersey than a Yankees one.

Of the three teams that are purportedly in, I would think San Diego has the least fear of making a trade.  They would probably be the team to fold and pay what the Sox are asking.  This could be an interesting few days considering the start of the season is coming up quickly.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I get the sense the Yankees interest was a leak to Bob to try and get the Rangers/Padres to budge.  It doesn’t sound like NY is interested.

Fine by me if Spencer Jones isn’t involved. If SD is truly interested, I think they’re the best match. Snelling + Thorpe + lesser prospect would be a fantastic return for Cease.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I get the sense the Yankees interest was a leak to Bob to try and get the Rangers/Padres to budge.  It doesn’t sound like NY is interested.

I think the Yankees are still interested but Spencer Jones being included is an absolute no go for them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fathom said:

Whenever Bob is out front with something, it’s a pretty fair assumption that it’s a leak from one side and not indicative of a deal being close. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic