Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs

caulfield12

Here are the top ten largest sports contracts of all time:

1. Lionel Messi: $673,919,105 for a four-year soccer contract with FC Barcelona
  2. Patrick Mahomes: $503,000,000 for a 12-year football contract with the Kansas City Chiefs
  3. Mike Trout: $426,500,000 for a 12-year baseball contract with the Los Angeles Angels
  4. Mookie Betts: $365,000,000 for a 12-year baseball contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers
  5. Fernando Tatís Jr.: $340,000,000 for a 14-year baseball contract with the San Diego Padres
  6. Bryce Harper: $330,000,000 for a 13-year baseball contract with the Philadelphia Phillies
  7. Giancarlo Stanton: $325,000,000 for a 13-year baseball contract with the Miami Marlins
  8. Gerrit Cole: $324,000,000 for a nine-year baseball contract with the New York Yankees
  9. Manny Machado: $300,000,000 for a ten-year baseball contract with the San Diego Padres
  10. Alex Rodriguez: $275,000,000 for a ten-year baseball contract with the New York Yankees.
Edited by caulfield12

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Here are the top ten largest sports contracts of all time:

1. Lionel Messi: $673,919,105 for a four-year soccer contract with FC Barcelona
  2. Patrick Mahomes: $503,000,000 for a 12-year football contract with the Kansas City Chiefs
  3. Mike Trout: $426,500,000 for a 12-year baseball contract with the Los Angeles Angels
  4. Mookie Betts: $365,000,000 for a 12-year baseball contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers
  5. Fernando Tatís Jr.: $340,000,000 for a 14-year baseball contract with the San Diego Padres
  6. Bryce Harper: $330,000,000 for a 13-year baseball contract with the Philadelphia Phillies
  7. Giancarlo Stanton: $325,000,000 for a 13-year baseball contract with the Miami Marlins
  8. Gerrit Cole: $324,000,000 for a nine-year baseball contract with the New York Yankees
  9. Manny Machado: $300,000,000 for a ten-year baseball contract with the San Diego Padres
  10. Alex Rodriguez: $275,000,000 for a ten-year baseball contract with the New York Yankees.

This list isn't correct. It's missing Ronaldo, Benzima and Canelo Alvarez.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

This list isn't correct. It's missing Ronaldo, Benzima and Canelo Alvarez.

Wouldn't Alvarez be based on a single year though?

Is that adding sponsorships?

Shohei Ohtani is keeping his talents in Southern California — but he will be wearing Dodger Blue now.

Ohtani ended the most high-profile free agency in North American sports since NBA star LeBron James' famous decision in 2010 on Saturday by announcing he will sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

According to MLB.com, Ohtani's agent, Nez Balelo, said the Japanese star will sign a deal worth $700 million, the largest in the history of North American sports.

Ohtani, who spent his first six seasons with the Los Angeles Angels, announced his decision in an Instagram post.

"To all the fans and everyone involved in the baseball world, I apologize for taking so long to come to a decision," Ohtani wrote. "I have decided to choose the Dodgers as my next team."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/12/10/baseball/mlb/shohei-ohtani-free-agency/

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

How would that translate to quantifiable stats? Soccer and Cricket dwarf baseball. It's not even close.

So do ping pong and badminton lol.

Any sport from China or India will have 1/4th or 1/8th of world popularity.

How many Americans can name a ingle cricket player or have actually watched a match?

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Wouldn't Alvarez be based on a single year though?

Is that adding sponsorships?

Shohei Ohtani is keeping his talents in Southern California — but he will be wearing Dodger Blue now.

Ohtani ended the most high-profile free agency in North American sports since NBA star LeBron James' famous decision in 2010 on Saturday by announcing he will sign with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

According to MLB.com, Ohtani's agent, Nez Balelo, said the Japanese star will sign a deal worth $700 million, the largest in the history of North American sports.

Ohtani, who spent his first six seasons with the Los Angeles Angels, announced his decision in an Instagram post.

"To all the fans and everyone involved in the baseball world, I apologize for taking so long to come to a decision," Ohtani wrote. "I have decided to choose the Dodgers as my next team."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/12/10/baseball/mlb/shohei-ohtani-free-agency/

Alvarez had a 5 year deal with DAZN for $365M.

• Like 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_sports_contracts

Fine.

Baseball still has 15 of the 22 highest contracts in history by Wikipedia list.

And I'm assuming Alvarez would have to fight all 11 of those fights to collect the full amount...that's never guaranteed in a sport like boxing.  And there's no guarantee DAZN will be fully viable to pay it all out, either.

"In a record-shattering deal finalized early Wednesday morning, Alvarez signed a five-year, 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365 million with DAZN, which only launched in the United States in September."

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_sports_contracts

Fine.

Baseball still has 15 of the 22 highest contracts in history by Wikipedia list.

And I'm assuming Alvarez would have to fight all 11 of those fights to collect the full amount...that's never guaranteed in a sport like boxing.  And there's no guarantee DAZN will be fully viable to pay it all out, either.

"In a record-shattering deal finalized early Wednesday morning, Alvarez signed a five-year, 11-fight deal worth a minimum of $365 million with DAZN, which only launched in the United States in September."

He ended up leaving after 3 fights for a $280M settlement.

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

Dodgers will get Yamamoto also, IMO

36 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Would be the favorite in my opinion. I thought I read something last week he said he wanted to sign with a team that had other Japanese players on it. 

I’d be very surprised if they’re still in. Doubt they commit another $30 million AAV to one guy. I don’t think Cohen gets outbid here. 

57 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm sure people far smarter than me have quantified it and decided it's worth it. At that price, the Dodgers had to he bidding against themselves though. In a vacuum, it's an absolutely terrible contracts. That doesn't mean it will cripple the franchise or anything like that.

People like you will never cease to amaze me.

"In a vacuum it's a terrible contract."

According to someone who has zero insight or knowledge into a single financial as it pertains to the sport of baseball or the Dodgers. 

Just sit this one out, champ. 

Please also explain how something like this is placed in a vacuum when value itself isn't defined by any baseline.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Can’t imagine how upset Angels and Jays fans are.  I’m pumped it wasn’t the Cubs.

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am hoping this signing is the move where Jerry calls a board meeting and says it is time to exit baseball and they put the team up for sale. 

I was hoping Cubs solely for the fact it would make Jerry seethe to the point of pushing him and his family out of 35th and Shields. I can always ignore garbage Cubs fans and garbage Chicago and National media.

57 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

It’s not about the Jersey sells, just wait till LA gets a television deal in Japan for Dodger games. That alone will probably cover most of the contract. 

I believe all teams go through MLB.com international for game access.

I wonder if the Dodgers could establish their own Japanese TV Network, or whether that would violate MLB bylaws. 

47 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Was execting $500-550 million after the pitching injury...this number is just shocking.

It's almost like LIV trying to buy out the PGA...except it's one franchise.

The Yankees/Red Sox don't even seem relevant in the face of this kind of move.

(Yet everyone recalls the initial reaction in STL to Pujols leaving. Things don't always go as planned.)

The Yankees and Red Sox owners don’t care about winning championships.

John Henry tried to destroy the EPL and other European Leagues with his Super League garbage. He also tried changing the English relegation system. He is pure unadulterated evil and scum.

George’s kids just want to profit, are being pushed by Cohen to spend and retain local market share. Angels feel compelled to try to retain relevance in Los Angeles. Jerry frankly doesn’t give a rats ass beyond his pettiness, arrogance and greed.

All that said, if baseball does not institute some form of revenue sharing/soft cap and hard floor, the sport is going to die much more quickly than even most pessimists thought.

The parity between a team like the Dodgers and the Pirates getting even more vast will be the death of the league. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

All that said, if baseball does not institute some form of revenue sharing/soft cap and hard floor, the sport is going to die much more quickly than even most pessimists thought.

The parity between a team like the Dodgers and the Pirates getting even more vast will be the death of the league. 

Both sides would have to agree to a floor and a cap and they never will 

10 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d be very surprised if they’re still in. Doubt they commit another $30 million AAV to one guy. I don’t think Cohen gets outbid here. 

If only the Dodgers could trade for a TOR SP who has a manageable 2 yrs arbitration $ to fit in.  Are there any out there?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I still think the Mets total salary commitment last year will end up much more of an egregious outlier than what the dodgers are likely to trot out this year. The luxury tax has proven pretty harsh and teams keep swerving under.

(I’d prefer a salary cap in baseball. Sorry to players but it makes free agency much more fun.)

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People like you will never cease to amaze me.

"In a vacuum it's a terrible contract."

According to someone who has zero insight or knowledge into a single financial as it pertains to the sport of baseball or the Dodgers. 

Just sit this one out, champ. 

Please also explain how something like this is placed in a vacuum when value itself isn't defined by any baseline.

"In a vacuum" is pretty obvious. It means that as a baseball contract, it's terrible as his production will never match the dollar amount, champ.

Who the f*** calls people "champ?"

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Othani not signing with the Cubs is the biggest day for the White Sox in recent memory. 

Not sure him becoming some version of Pujols with the Angels would hurt the Cubs as much...maybe on the backside?

Thankfully his name has never seemed to be connected to performance enhancing drugs...he's just a total freak of nature like Victor Wembayana.