House of L Podcast - Why Be A Sox Fan?

South Side Hit Men

Just finished this podcast, pretty much encapsulates what I feel at this point.

Nothing necessarily new covered, but a solid synopsis of the past month, three months and three years.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/house-of-l-podcast/id1392670680?i=1000634554284

Please return baseball to its rightful place in Montreal!

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There would be no reason to be a fan of this team if you weren’t born into the fandom.

If you were a new baseball fan with no ties to any team (parents/other relatives don’t have a favorite) and you were looking for a team to cheer for, this team wouldn’t be it.

You are exactly right. And I, for one, am not going to push this team on my son. He can choose a team of his own liking that earns his attention.

Edited by Milkman delivers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Milkman delivers said:

You are exactly right. And I, for one, am not going to push this team on my son. He can choose a team of his own liking that earns his attention.

I feel like I have cursed my son with being a White Sox fan. All his friends are Blue Jay fans so he likes the Jays as well. I assume the Jays will overtake the Sox if things don't turn around soon.

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, supernuke said:

I feel like I have cursed my son with being a White Sox fan. All his friends are Blue Jay fans so he likes the Jays as well. I assume the Jays will overtake the Sox if things don't turn around soon.

Are you in the Toronto area? Just seems like a random team for a group of friends to all like if they’re not in that immediate area.

53 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I don't think baseball in general is getting new fans.

6 of 10 general viewers and over 2/3 of younger viewers use streaming and over the air broadcast to watch TV, and these numbers will continue to increase while cable will continue to decrease.

If MLB wants to stop the bleeding and perhaps start attracting young sports viewers, eliminating blackouts needs to be the number one accomplishment within the next couple of years while there is still a viewership to salvage. Put at least a subset of your broadcasts on over the air. Do not keep future generations of fans out of sight / out of mind for a few crumbs today like Jerry and Eddie did 40 years ago, turning a Chicago 50/50 split into 67/33 today.

25381.jpeg

On 11/21/2023 at 11:20 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

There would be no reason to be a fan of this team if you weren’t born into the fandom.

If you were a new baseball fan with no ties to any team (parents/other relatives don’t have a favorite) and you were looking for a team to cheer for, this team wouldn’t be it.

Pretty depressing but unfortunately pretty true, if things don’t get better pretty damn quick then we might be seeing the White Sox in another city when the lease expires on GRF.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:16 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

Just finished this podcast, pretty much encapsulates what I feel at this point.

Nothing necessarily new covered, but a solid synopsis of the past month, three months and three years.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/house-of-l-podcast/id1392670680?i=1000634554284

Please return baseball to its rightful place in Montreal!

Holmes is a cub fan and it increasingly looks like you are as well young man, which may explain why I am getting tired of reading your posts.

The Sox fan base is deeply rooted, widespread, and here to stay.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, tray said:

Holmes is a cub fan and it increasingly looks like you are as well young man, which may explain why I am getting tired of reading your posts.

The Sox fan base is deeply rooted, widespread, and here to stay.

There is in fact a block function if you’re tired of reading posts.

Also can’t one be simply a disgruntled or even former Sox fan without being a Cubs fan?

Edited by FloydBannister1983

5 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Incorrect. Holmes is actually a Sox fan. Just jaded like most of us.

The 2005 White Sox Intro Video is apropos since there haven't been many highlights over the past 18 seasons, and won't be for quite some time into the future.

Can think of the no-hitters by Buehrle and Giolito, the former went on to have solid seasons in Toronto because Jerry be broke, and Jerry hated Giolito, dragged out the arbitration case to the bitter deadline over $50K, and was glad to get rid of the former union rep.

You have the Field of Dreams walk-off and Jose's MVP season, but a large vocal minority on Soxtalk despises Tim Anderson (though most Sox fans enjoyed his time here). They were also happy happy Jose wasn't signed whereas he went on to play great in the playoffs, made the World Series which would never happen under Jerry/Hahn. Well at least the can claim the money was spent, though on a completely worthless Andrew Benintendi.

Since MJ left the Bulls, they are around 200 games below .500, and the Sox, even with a WS are around 50 below .500. Sell the teams JR, the industry has moved way past you. His entire legacy is built upon one player, a player he couldn't wait to leave so he could prove it was him. Something was proven, but not what JR wanted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Since MJ left the Bulls, they are around 200 games below .500, and the Sox, even with a WS are around 50 below .500. Sell the teams JR, the industry has moved way past you. His entire legacy is built upon one player, a player he couldn't wait to leave so he could prove it was him. Something was proven, but not what JR wanted.

This is so true. The sad thing about the White Sox is that it could have been turned into a great franchise. But that opportunity was blown and now look at it. 

14 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Pretty depressing but unfortunately pretty true, if things don’t get better pretty damn quick then we might be seeing the White Sox in another city when the lease expires on GRF.

I don't think moving the team is a realistic option. I thought for sure that the Rays would be the one team moving. I don't anybody thought they would agree to build a new stadium at their present location. The Orioles won over 100 games last year and the owner of the Orioles has already said he won't be able to afford his players in a few years. There are worse  situations in MLB than what the White Sox are going thru.

Edited by WBWSF

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I read the other day that the Bulls attendance is starting to go bad. Bulls fans are finally  tired of   paying big money to see a losing team.

17 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I read the other day that the Bulls attendance is starting to go bad. Bulls fans are finally  tired of   paying big money to see a losing team.

I'm always blown away by the amount of working/middle class people that are paying $$$ (often $,$$$ for a family of 4) to see the Bulls.  Not to judge books by their cover but the games are full of people who spent a discernible portion of their net worth to attend.  I go a handful of times per year and it shocks me every time.