Nick Padilla outrighted, Adam Haseley becomes a FA

Sleepy Harold

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Could be.  Definitely clearing space for something, whether it's readying for the winter meetings or something is currently cooking.

They can cut guys after a move is made. Doesn't have to be in anticipation of a move happening.

It does make sense if they want to take someone in the Rule 5 Draft though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah maybe see if you can find an interesting starter to hide in a long relief/6th starter role or something. Maybe that Kristian Robinson as a potential RHH 4th OF that Squirmin mentioned earlier in a thread.

Glad I've got you on the bandwagon.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They can take multiple Rule 5 guys if they want to, right? Because that might be a good idea given how much trash is on the 40-man.

There's a lot of interesting guys out there. Especially on the pitching side imo. Hopefully they drop the pretense of competing and bring in some of these names.

https://www.mlb.com/news/one-intriguing-rule-5-draft-prospect-for-each-team

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

"The Padres left catcher Brandon Valenzuela unprotected from the Rule 5 Draft, meaning he can potentially be selected by any club but must remain on that team's big league roster for the season. It'll be interesting to see whether another team bites on a 23-year-old defense-first catcher who posted a .711 OPS between High-A Fort Wayne and Double-A San Antonio last season."

AJ Casavell mlb.com

• Like 2

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

"The Padres left catcher Brandon Valenzuela unprotected from the Rule 5 Draft, meaning he can potentially be selected by any club but must remain on that team's big league roster for the season. It'll be interesting to see whether another team bites on a 23-year-old defense-first catcher who posted a .711 OPS between High-A Fort Wayne and Double-A San Antonio last season."

AJ Casavell mlb.com

If you draft him, are you pairing him with Korey Lee? Not really a fan of that plan.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If you draft him, are you pairing him with Korey Lee? Not really a fan of that plan.

No Lee should be in the minors. I don't care what he hits ... I'm getting the veteran equivalent of Hedges Nola Maldonado and giving him 60% of the reps with the most important pitchers until Perez/Lee and eventually Quero prove themselves.

We did do this ages ago with that Cuban catcher from the Nats but he didn't work out nearly as well as Narvaez...since I can't even remember his name anymore.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, how big league ready is his defense and pitcher handling? It's worth asking, he'd be better than spending a couple million on Hedges. 

I'd draft him, how cares if he puts up -3 WAR, if there's a 5% chance he's a useful player take it. 2024 is sadly a throwaway year now so at least fill it with some intriguing players.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd draft him, how cares if he puts up -3 WAR, if there's a 5% chance he's a useful player take it. 2024 is sadly a throwaway year now so at least fill it with some intriguing players.

Well I'm also expecting the Sox to have a pretty iffy pitching staff and some raw younger guys in there, and some guys who we will probably be wanting to trade at the deadline, I will grant that having a guy who calls games and can handle pitchers has some value to this team. So I'd have to take that into account here too.