Morosi linked Whit to White Sox in Dec23

Sleepy Harold

59 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Fathom, given next year is trash, what are the odds they sell high on Robert now?

I think it’s asking a lot of Getz and a new front office to coordinate two large scale transactions concurrently.  Better to space them out a bit and buy some time for prospect pools to re-up a bit.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think it’s asking a lot of Getz and a new front office to coordinate two large scale transactions concurrently.  Better to space them out a bit and buy some time for prospect pools to re-up a bit.

I understand that part of it, but Robert has had injury issues and somewhat wild variations in WAR the last few years. 

I think they can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

If someone is willing to actually give up a real haul of young MLB players and prospects they should think about it. 

From the revenue side if the only variable is in person attendance guess what no one is going to the ballpark this year even with Robert so I'd strike when the iron is hot. 

They really could totally reshape this team overnight with a fun mix of new cost controlled talent. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I understand that part of it, but Robert has had injury issues and somewhat wild variations in WAR the last few years. 

I think they can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

If someone is willing to actually give up a real haul of young MLB players and prospects they should think about it. 

From the revenue side if the only variable is in person attendance guess what no one is going to the ballpark this year even with Robert so I'd strike when the iron is hot. 

They really could totally reshape this team overnight with a fun mix of new cost controlled talent. 

I'm sure they've listened but the package for that level of control is so big that it's doubtful someone is actually willing to give up that kind of a talent haul. The number of teams that could actually afford him I can probably count on my hand, and for most of them it would be a bad move, it would completely deplete their system to pay fair price for him. That makes him nearly impossible to move unless the White Sox give him away for less than he should be worth.

Would you be willing to sell Robert for way less than he might seemingly be worth in order to get something right now? Rather than a giant return maybe the Orioles gave you a package around Cowser and Kjerstad as the only top 100 prospects, plus a couple of lower ranked filler pieces - would you do that?

I very likely would not do so, and selling Robert at a discount is probably the only way right not to get people actually interested since the price of 4 years of control would be so obscenely high.

Why is everyone going apeshit about this? All Morosi said is that HE THINKS Whit Merrifeld and the Sox would be an excellent match. There's not a thing about any actual interest from the Sox. He's a talking head and his opinion means squat.

Merrifield is likely not even being strongly  considered at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No s%*#, Jon.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Why is everyone going apeshit about this? All Morosi said is that HE THINKS Whit Merrifeld and the Sox would be an excellent match. There's not a thing about any actual interest from the Sox. He's a talking head and his opinion means squat.

Merrifield is likely not even being strongly  considered at the moment.

See above

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Whats supposed to impress me above ? Does Harold agree with Morosi that the Sox and Merrifield would be an excellent match. Since that's all Morosi said  saying no s%*# Jon sounds like he agrees that they would be an excellent match.

He’s implying that we are highly interested and/or likely to land him obviously.  Not sure that’s supposed to “impress” you, but it does suggest there may more to the story here.  Either way, maybe it’s the relentless pursuit of former Royals that has many of spooked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s implying that we are highly interested and/or likely to land him obviously.  Not sure that’s supposed to “impress” you, but it does suggest there may more to the story here.  Either way, maybe it’s the relentless pursuit of former Royals that has many of spooked.

That and fathom also saying it would be for RF which suggests it's more than just Morosi making random speculations. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Then it was the wrong thing to say from Harold because Morosi didnt at all imply the Sox are highly interested or that we were likely to land him. He said they could be a good match.

I'm not impressed with what either of them said. Until I see a rumor that says Sox talking to Merrifield I'll just relax about speculation that was neither new nor informative in any way.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Then it was the wrong thing to say from Harold because Morosi didnt at all imply the Sox are highly interested or that we were likely to land him. He said they could be a good match.

I'm not impressed with what either of them said. Until I see a rumor that says Sox talking to Merrifield I'll just relax about speculation that was neither new nor informative in any way.

Harold saying “no s%*#” implies interest (assuming Harold does have sources).

No one would blame you if you didn’t believe he has sources though. I’m skeptical myself.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Harold saying “no s%*#” implies interest (assuming Harold does have sources).

No one would blame you if you didn’t believe he has sources though. I’m skeptical myself.

Why would any team want Merrifield starting in RF at this point in his career?

He's not even a very good flip candidate.

It's not like he was a key piece on their WS teams...he was a next generation player for KC, so called bridge to nowhere.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Speaking of Royals, Merkin also mentioned Maldonado today and of course linked Pedro to him from his KC days 

This org is so fucking stupid. KC had what, two good seasons in the past 20, and for some reason this franchise is obsessed with becoming the Royals East. Like, WTF. I'll never understand.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Rather have Maldonado on a 1 year cheap deal to be a backup than trade for Salvador Perez.

Yes. This would be the lesser of two evils.

Or just start Korey Lee until Quero is ready in 25.and if he hits 150/180/270 in the interim so what? It's going to be a garbage year anyway and they seem to enjoy making us miserable so why spend money on slop? 

• southsider2k5 changed the title to Morosi linked Whit to White Sox in Dec23