Imanaga to the Cubs

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Idk but I would have preferred the Cubs as an option for Cease over the Angels. Not that I think they’re that interested.

There weren't strong rumors of Cubs interest. More local reporters surmising that the Cubs were a good fit for Cease. The Yankees missing out on Imanaga ups the stakes for the Yanks if they miss out on Monty, Snell and Cease. 

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

His projected 2024 fWAR of 2.6 is between Lucas (2.4 $39M/2) and Eduardo Rodriguez (2.9 $80/4). Hope it's an overpay, glad they also have to pay a posting fee.

They had to do something before Cubs Convention.

The Cubs will definitely be spending more money in the coming weeks on some combination of Bellinger/Hoskins/Chapman/etc.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10103619-mlb-rumors-shota-imanaga-contract-not-eyed-by-yankees-due-to-flyball-concerns

Let's revisit the Yankees' considerable fly ball concerns after the season...

We know he has great strikeout stuff and gets away with some pitches up in the zone, at least in Japan.

And of course you already have Suzuki there.

So the Cubs will go on to sign Hoskins and/or Bellinger to finish things out...and perhaps trade Morel if they can't figure out what to do with him.

15 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Cubs will definitely be spending more money in the coming weeks on some combination of Bellinger/Hoskins/Chapman/etc.

Chapman AGAIN?

That would be a good example of a team that could end up signing Liam Hendriks to a 2 year rehab/incentive-laden deal.

Jordan Hicks still out there hovering, too.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

On what?

Hoskins and/or Bellinger.

Bullpen help, especially at the back end.   Not a huge number of closers circulating, which is why I mentioned it as a possible landing spot for Hendriks.

Brandon Woodruff is going to turn out to be another huge bust/reward guy, of course the White Sox will never be creative enough to come up with a deal for him.

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Matt Chapman

Look at his offensive numbers after mid May last year.

He might be cooked.  Obviously he still seems to have that 2ish fWAR floor due to his defense...but he's asking for $20-25 million if not $30 and he's likely to be worth half of that, roughly.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Look at his offensive numbers after mid May last year.

He might be cooked.  Obviously he still seems to have that 2ish fWAR floor due to his defense...but he's asking for $20-25 million if not $30 and he's likely to be worth half of that, roughly.

I’m not the one who suggested him. I was just correcting you.

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m not the one who suggested him. I was just correcting you.

Okay.

Still in amazement the Royals ended up with Ragans from the Rangers for Aroldis...and how he actually threw harder as a starter than Cease last year.

Maybe we get lucky enough that ONE of those new execs had something to do with that move, but probably not with our luck.

24 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Yeah, Kikuchi Lite or maybe if you squint really hard 2.0.

Better strikeout rate than Yamamoto...something has to give.

Senga throws hard and did quite well last year with NYM...and Kikuchi has picked up 2-3 mph since leaving Japan.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Now all their idiot fans will shut up.  They will still load up the next few weeks.

I’m a cubs fan but i wholeheartedly agree. The cubs attract a lot more casual fans and the discourse is generally not good most of the time. 

The cubs have some interesting decisions ahead of them. Belli makes a ton of sense but has big bust potential and the Cubs also have a possibly CF of the future in PCA that could be up this year. If Belli is pushed to 1B I’m not sure his dollar amount will be justified even if he continues hitting. 

I think the Cubs should bring in Hoskins to play first and allow Mervis to DH a bit. I like the idea of bringing in Turner to play third for a year while they see what Morel can do there. The cubs have a pretty solid 3B prospect in BJ Murray Jr that could force his way up by summer. 

In general I think it makes some sense to keep some powder dry on the long term deals while this “wave” of PCA, Horton, Wicks, Morel, Murray, and Mervis get big league run. They already let Velazquez go for nothing because he was blocked. At some point you need to see what you have. In the meantime, shore up the bullpen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

There weren't strong rumors of Cubs interest. More local reporters surmising that the Cubs were a good fit for Cease. The Yankees missing out on Imanaga ups the stakes for the Yanks if they miss out on Monty, Snell and Cease. 

I don’t think it makes a ton of sense for the cubs to go after Cease because I’m not entirely sure the cubs will be good during the duration of his contract. At this point I think it’s pretty dead in the water unless the cubs are willing to move Horton or the sox are interested in taking a quantity type of deal. 

if the Cubs take PCA and Horton off the table I think there could be a suitable package made up of a few of the other guys towards the top. Something with a combination of Wicks, Brown, Triantos, Morel, Mervis, Assad could be interesting. 

Morel has a cannon but he may be a decent fit at second based on his inconsistency with accuracy. Mervis would be largely blocked at first by Vaughn but if they feel they can get him consistent DH at bats they’re a big power upside. 

Assad  could be interesting for the Sox. He was very solid last year and might find himself the odd man out on the roster if they were to trade for Cease. 

I could also see Wesneski as a trade fit. Personally I think he will make a nasty reliever for the cubs next year and I would keep him but there is some upside in giving him another run as a starter. 

As a Cubs fan I would not like a move like this, but I can’t deny the fit is there for both teams.

• Like 1