Sox Sign Rafael Ortega to a MiLB Deal.

2 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oscar Colas, Brett Phillips, Rafael Ortega deathmatch for opening day RF.

Colas is actually somewhat similar to the LH OF prospects they are trying to get. Colas was ranked as high as #78 on Pipeline I think for 1 year in the minors. He obviously never had the pedigree or multiple minor league seasons as Cowser and Kjerstad nor ranked as high and without on base problem Colas had and was coming off a long period of inactivity but he ended up making the most of that 1 year as a hitter.

Of course he was worse fundamentally as a fielder than most of us knew but then again what do we know about Cowser and Kjerstad's OF defense also ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Colas is actually somewhat similar to the LH OF prospects they are trying to get. Colas was ranked as high as #78 on Pipeline I think for 1 year in the minors. He obviously never had the pedigree or multiple minor league seasons as Cowser and Kjerstad nor ranked as high and without on base problem Colas had and was coming off a long period of inactivity but he ended up making the most of that 1 year as a hitter.

Of course he was worse fundamentally as a fielder than most of us knew but then again what do we know about Cowser and Kjerstad's OF defense also ?

Colas is one year removed from the exact type of guy that we’re targeting in Cease deals. Just let him play!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not even the White Sox are going to be that tone deaf as to start someone like this in RF.

Or Sheets.

Or Getz will already start out the year with the dogs baying at his heels....and sacrificing Grifol alone will hardly quell the discontent swirling in the fanbase.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Another no risk, no reward move. Some get MLB deals, others get MiLB.

Not to be negative nancy, but bad teams make these type of moves (Royals). All in the pursuit of 60ish wins.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas is one year removed from the exact type of guy that we’re targeting in Cease deals. Just let him play!!! 

I agree. At least some of us would be interested in watching Colas sink or swim. But Sox would rather play a guy like Phillips lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I agree. At least some of us would be interested in watching Colas sink or swim. But Sox would rather play a guy like Phillips lol.

The Rays discovered Phillips was non-viable as an everyday starter something like 7-8 years ago...

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not even the White Sox are going to be that tone deaf as to start someone like this in RF.

Or Sheets.

Or Getz will already start out the year with the dogs baying at his heels....and sacrificing Grifol alone will hardly quell the discontent swirling in the fanbase.

Don't bet on this.

• Like 1

no way this guy starts, but he's not completely useless as a 5th outfielder or injury replacement. he walks at a respectable clip and doesn't strike out much. he was actually pretty good with the cubs and not god awful with the Mets. for reference, he produced as much WAR as Benintendi last season despite having 1/4 the amount of plate appearances.

I think they gotta roll with Oscar though unless they acquire someone who is actually good to play in right. I like Gallo or Michael A Taylor in free agency but would still prefer to see Colas or someone gotten back in a Cease trade. 

46 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If Sheets gets any non-emergency starts in the outfield for the Sox in 2024, they haven’t learned a thing and Getz is as awful of a GM as Hahn.

Sox refuse to make any moves this offseason of note. Not a good business decision. There won't be any buzz about this team all season. Can't imagine them drawing any crowds over 30,000 cept opening day. I say 30,000 cause when the Yanks, Bosox, teams like that come to town they'll bring 10-15,000 fans.

18 minutes ago, nrockway said:

no way this guy starts, but he's not completely useless as a 5th outfielder or injury replacement. he walks at a respectable clip and doesn't strike out much. he was actually pretty good with the cubs and not god awful with the Mets. for reference, he produced as much WAR as Benintendi last season despite having 1/4 the amount of plate appearances.

I think they gotta roll with Oscar though unless they acquire someone who is actually good to play in right. I like Gallo or Michael A Taylor in free agency but would still prefer to see Colas or someone gotten back in a Cease trade. 

Gallo and Taylor do absolutely zero for this team.  May as well play Colas or an OF if one is acquired when trading Cease.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sox refuse to make any moves this offseason of note. Not a good business decision. There won't be any buzz about this team all season. Can't imagine them drawing any crowds over 30,000 cept opening day. I say 30,000 cause when the Yanks, Bosox, teams like that come to town they'll bring 10-15,000 fans.

Dodgers Ohtani/Yamamoto Show will be #2 except for Memorial Labor Day July 4th and whatever sponsorship giveaways they can scrounge up somehow...

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Gallo and Taylor do absolutely zero for this team.  May as well play Colas or an OF if one is acquired when trading Cease.

I tend to agree with your post, but if they are trying to sign an outfielder in free agency to replace Colas, those are the two guys left I'd look at on one year deals. Kiermaier and Bader would've been my first two choices, but I get the impression we're not signing an outfielder for actual money. But yeah I'd rather it be Colas starting or a potential return from Cease, I'd actually love to watch Kelenic on the Sox if Atlanta forked up the right price, he seems like a prototypical right fielder, he's a good enough defender and has a cannon for an arm. 

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

I tend to agree with your post, but if they are trying to sign an outfielder in free agency to replace Colas, those are the two guys left I'd look at on one year deals. Kiermaier and Bader would've been my first two choices, but I get the impression we're not signing an outfielder for actual money. But yeah I'd rather it be Colas starting or a potential return from Cease, I'd actually love to watch Kelenic on the Sox if Atlanta forked up the right price, he seems like a prototypical right fielder, he's a good enough defender and has a cannon for an arm. 

Agreed, they aren’t spending any money on an OF so Colas makes the most sense right now.  Also, I have to imagine the Braves are done looking for starting pitcher after the Sale trade.  They have quality and depth in their rotation.

Strider

Morton

Sale

Elder

Fried

ReyLo

Smith-Shawver

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Is Getz ever going to sign a decent MLB player that might actually improve the club.

I was thinking when is Getz going to sign or trade for a player that is better than his sorry ass was? They can improve 15-18 games and still be in the exact same draft position, with no long term commitments. Why not try to make it watchable?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I was thinking when is Getz going to sign or trade for a player that is better than his sorry ass was? They can improve 15-18 games and still be in the exact same draft position, with no long term commitments. Why not try to make it watchable?

This is a good point.  The Sox draft position is locked in no matter what but Getz did not add any offense with his signings and is having an offseason that would lead you to believe they are intentionally tanking, which serves no purpose anymore with the draft changes.

22 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This is a good point.  The Sox draft position is locked in no matter what but Getz did not add any offense with his signings and is having an offseason that would lead you to believe they are intentionally tanking, which serves no purpose anymore with the draft changes.

IMO, they are treating this year as a lost cause and evaluating things.  I’ve said it before, but Getz has been acquiring placeholders to make sure our most major league ready prospects have to earn their shots at roles.

• SS: DeJong | Montgomery
  • 2B: Lopez | Sosa & Popeye
  • CA: Stassi | Lee
  • RF: TBD | Colas
  • SP: Flexin | Nastrini & Eder

I personally think it makes a lot of sense.  Winning the Central next year is simply not realistic, even with a few more impactful additions.  And we need to move away from the Hahn concept of rushing prospects to fill major league roles before they are ready.  Colas is obviously the most recent example of this, but Vaughn is probably the most costly in terms of long-term implications.

I do hope we add a Kyle Lewis caliber player and give them a shot at the RF job, but it’s smart to leave a path to significant playing and not fully block Colas.

• Like 1