Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I always pass that location on my way into the city and seems very feasible that they could just construct another stop in the nothingness that lives there if they so chose to do so. Would LOVE this location.

I am sure it would happen.  The CBOE is the terminus.  There is nothing stopping another stop for a ballpark.  The electric line is blocks away too.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This would literally be a dream come true if were to happen.  Hopefully this ends up being Jerry’s final olive branch for decades of terrible ownership.

Check out the history of corrupt ownership of the land.  From one terrible owner to another.  🤣

34 minutes ago, cuban_sammiches said:

Great point. Roosevelt L stop literally just blocks away. 

Very close.  The CTA Roosevelt stop for the Red, Green, and Orange lines would only be a 2 - 3 block walk, depending on where the main entrance to the new stadium would be.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am sure it would happen.  The CBOE is the terminus.  There is nothing stopping another stop for a ballpark.  The electric line is blocks away too.

The transit options are plentiful, and shuttle service from Ogilvie or the lots at 35th & Shields would make perfect sense. There would be zero reason to drive to Clark & Roosevelt. 

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Still not spending a dime on them until the Reisndorf’s are done with the Sox. Hope everyone enjoys it though! 

I’ve been saying the same thing, but let’s hope by the time a new park opens the old man won’t still be pulling the strings. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Still not spending a dime on them until the Reisndorf’s are done with the Sox. Hope everyone enjoys it though! 

Fair chance that happens before any new park could open.  My fear is that Jerry dictates who he wants to sell to before his death and it is someone just like him.

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I much prefer Bridgeport but this is the next best thing.

Still on the Southside, but basically downtown. Best of both worlds IMO. The location alone would make the stadium a draw for tourists and casual fans even.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The transit options are plentiful, and shuttle service from Ogilvie or the lots at 35th & Shields would make perfect sense. There would be zero reason to drive to Clark & Roosevelt. 

There are a decent amount of parking garages in the area for the Financial district too.  Lots of people have their monthly parking down there because it is cheaper than the actual Loop.

• Like 2

This could be interesting, it's a great location. it would have a really great skyline view and could feature wonky dimensions to fit into the rest of the development. But I think they should just stay put. the city and state can kick in money to develop a ballpark as well as all those parking lots, seems like a better use of public money and potentially good for the people who live around there. plus the current park is more accessible than this this place is. it's not close to an L stop nor is it directly off the i90 like 35th/Shields is. 

I'd be very surprised if this comes to fruition, this land will be developed before the Sox decide to build a new park. I really can't see Reinsdorf building a new ballpark in his lifetime and I don't want him to because he'll f*** it up

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, pcullotta said:

My dream has always been the area know as "the 78." 

Huge open space, 62 acres.  One end is at Roosevelt so could still say "south" as in south loop.  West side backs up to the river, East side to the rock island train tracks.  Close to the Els, very close to Lasalle St station.   Walkable to Union Station.  Background would be the skyline only a few blocks away.  Hell, if I was the mayor, I be mentioning that spot to the Bears, Soldier Field is currently using 7 acres I believe.  

I've always wanted this, but I also know it will never happen.  We can't have nice things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

This could be interesting, it's a great location. it would have a really great skyline view and could feature wonky dimensions to fit into the rest of the development. But I think they should just stay put. the city and state can kick in money to develop a ballpark as well as all those parking lots, seems like a better use of public money and potentially good for the people who live around there. plus the current park is more accessible than this this place is. it's not close to an L stop nor is it directly off the i90 like 35th/Shields is. 

I'd be very surprised if this comes to fruition, this land will be developed before the Sox decide to build a new park. I really can't see Reinsdorf building a new ballpark in his lifetime and I don't want him to because he'll f*** it up

This land has been empty since before most of us were born.  Put another way, this land had been available for almost 20 years the LAST time the White built a new stadium. 

3 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I was up on the north side over the holidays for the first time in a long time. The area around Wrigley Field is unrecognozable - new bars, restaurants, hotels. It's a whole experience that generates revenue for the team and businesses. Thats the future of baseball. The people who live in Armour Square don't want any of that. They want an island stadium surrounded by parking lots. You go to the game and go home. This place would be more than that and  could be something really beneficial to the Sox and the fans. There is public transportation right there. And 90/94 is just west on Roosevelt (and you can always stop by Jim's Original). If this is feasible it's really a no brainer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This land has been empty since before most of us were born.  Put another way, this land had been available for almost 20 years the LAST time the White built a new stadium. 

Mostly empty since the late 70s. 

Even though I haven't been to The Cell in years, the snippet about the Fire possibly taking over as tenants makes me happy — because it's the only Sox Park I've ever known and it means a perfectly viable stadium (unless something has happened in the past six years) wouldn't be demolished just because Reinsdorf wants a new toy.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1