Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

The Diamond Project announced that it was negotiating a land deal with the city of Portland to purchase the RedTail Golf Center, with plans to construct the largest stadium development in Major League Baseball. RedTail is within Beaverton city limits, but the land is owned by Portland.

https://www.opb.org/article/2024/02/10/portland-diamond-project-mlb-baseball-beaverton-oregon/#:~:text=The Diamond Project announced that,land is owned by Portland.

Meanwhile, records show that Portland City Hall still favors a Lloyd Center location for a stadium, which it argues already has the necessary infrastructure to support a brand new ballpark. Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler has long said the development there could be a potential boon to the city’s urban core.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.royalsreview.com/2023/9/19/23879199/how-much-have-taxpayers-subsidized-recent-baseball-stadiums

White Sox ask would be 54% higher than biggest stadium subsidy in history…proposed Tampa Bay facility at $650 million.

2. Wisconsin Miller Park renovations $614 million, $100 million from team

3. Globe Life Arlington Texas $500 million

4. Miami Loan Depot $479 million

5. State of NV $380 million for A’s (???)  Sacramento?

6. Target Field MN $355 million

7. KC Royals $300-350 million

8. Braves $300 million

https://tennesseelookout.com/2023/12/18/stadium-fatigue-in-nashville-clouds-talk-of-major-league-baseball-expansion/#:~:text=The development would be located,to relocate existing agricultural uses.

“The salesman sent to pitch this lofty vision to the community? Dr. Eddie Hamilton, a pediatrician who in 2013 pleaded guilty to a charge of healthcare fraud for inappropriate billing practices. Hamilton contested the charge, chalking it up to a misunderstanding and overzealous prosecution. 

Still, it’s not a good look for a group looking to build credibility and support for their cause.

As residents socialized after the meeting, a refrain of, “Have you Googled this guy? Can you believe this?” echoed through the room.

One resident joked that Project Smoke was an appropriate name for the plan, given the amount of smoke Hamilton was blowing up residents’ rear ends.

Hamilton isn’t the only project leader to raise eyebrows. The chair of Music City Baseball is Alberto Gonzales, dean of the Belmont University School of Law. Gonzales formerly served as White House counsel to former President George W. Bush, before graduating to Attorney General. In his time as counsel to the president, Gonzales and his office produced a series of “torture memos,” arguing for the legality of so-called “enhanced interrogation techniques” for detainees thought to be enemy combatants. 

And this is the team we want leading the charge to turn North Nashville into the East Bank?”

The Royals desired site is fully developed including a church. Good luck with that. 

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is Chicago we are talking about.  When was the last time anyone asked permission for a public spending project of any kind?  Hell this is the same place where the Mayor decided he didn't want an airport on Lake Michigan and fucking bulldozed it to make his point.  

Everything in this city of consequence is done behind closed doors and then they get rewarded with 80% of the vote.

Even the super unpopular Olympics bid was done locally by the local pols and business community with about zero care of the taxpayer.

Again Jerry Reinsdorf is literally the only person in Chicago to get a brand new stadium built in somewhere around the last 100 years, and he has done it twice.  

What about DePaul?  Besides infrastructure, what did he get for the UC? And the Bears got more for their rehab than JR ever do. Probably made him jealous. And all have been net losers for the city and state.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 hours ago, tray said:

Daley was mayor when the process began in 2004. Here you go.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_bid_for_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Daley was against the City having to finance the games with tax dollars. The opposition to the plan was short sighted as it would have created a lot of jobs when Chicago needed them and revitalized areas that some people now complain about.

Fox News political consistency?  OK, they are a consistent source of bigotry and race baiting designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator and cannot be trusted as a reliable source of news.

That’s what I was saying re: Fox and anything involving Democrats. Thx for the reminder on Daley. I didn’t recall. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Diamond Project announced that it was negotiating a land deal with the city of Portland to purchase the RedTail Golf Center, with plans to construct the largest stadium development in Major League Baseball. RedTail is within Beaverton city limits, but the land is owned by Portland.

https://www.opb.org/article/2024/02/10/portland-diamond-project-mlb-baseball-beaverton-oregon/#:~:text=The Diamond Project announced that,land is owned by Portland.

Meanwhile, records show that Portland City Hall still favors a Lloyd Center location for a stadium, which it argues already has the necessary infrastructure to support a brand new ballpark. Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler has long said the development there could be a potential boon to the city’s urban core.

So when this project 78 proposal finally collapses due to Reinsdorf’s  inability to get the state financing he wants, he or a soon to be named new ownership, will have other options (fantastic options) in Nashville, Portland, and possibly Honolulu, to name a few. The current site here in Chicago (35th st.) is a backwater compared to other opportunities elsewhere. Jerry may be earnestly “trying” to get this 78 thing done but I believe he knows it a very long shot and he can say, when  the curtain finally comes down, that he “truly” tried to keep the Sox in Chicago but failed. Threatening to move is the only leverage he has and he knows this leverage is a long shot but what the hell, might as well give it a try. 

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If there is one thing I think has changed since the 90s - I don't think politicians will react with nearly as much panic to the idea of losing a sports team as they did the last time he got this deal done. I think that was very key to the White Sox staying in the late 80s - "what will this say about Chicago if we are losing sports teams to Tampa Bay" probably got some people on board. I don't think that happens this time, I think that motivation has switched.

I think they are still more worried about insider support then they are votes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

So when this project 78 proposal finally collapses due to Reinsdorf’s  inability to get the state financing he wants, he or a soon to be named new ownership, will have other options (fantastic options) in Nashville, Portland, and possibly Honolulu, to name a few. The current site here in Chicago (35th st.) is a backwater compared to other opportunities elsewhere. Jerry may be earnestly “trying” to get this 78 thing done but I believe he knows it a very long shot and he can say, when  the curtain finally comes down, that he “truly” tried to keep the Sox in Chicago but failed. Threatening to move is the only leverage he has and he knows this leverage is a long shot but what the hell, might as well give it a try. 

I don’t think there is really much of a chance of JR moving the White Sox out of town. The American League wouldn’t want to abandon Chicago.  There would be a honeymoon wherever he went, but it would be short lived, and when the see mediocrity at best, the new place will show you why MLB wasn’t there sooner. And they really don’t have the argument that teams that have left had. They really don’t have a stadium issue. They want an upgrade, and it looks fantastic, but they don’t want to pay for it.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t think there is really much of a chance of JR moving the White Sox out of town. The American League wouldn’t want to abandon Chicago.  There would be a honeymoon wherever he went, but it would be short lived, and when the see mediocrity at best, the new place will show you why MLB wasn’t there sooner.

You can equate Reinsdorf with mediocrity but you cannot but the label in a new ownership group unto you see what they’d be capable of…..outside of Chicago. The 35th and Shields site has mediocracy written all over it. I really don’t think the MLB gives a rats ass about whether there is an American League in Chicago or not. 

4 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

You can equate Reinsdorf with mediocrity but you cannot but the label in a new ownership group unto you see what they’d be capable of…..outside of Chicago. The 35th and Shields site has mediocracy written all over it. I really don’t think the MLB gives a rats ass about whether there is an American League in Chicago or not. 

So you think the owners want to trade a non revenue sharing team for one that benefits? Plus there’s the anti trust exemption to worry about.

Edited by Dick Allen

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So you think the owners want to trade a non revenue sharing team for one that benefits? Plus there’s the anti trust exemption to worry about.

And I’ll add that the media here in Chicago, especially the sports media, for the most part, are thrilled at the prospect of the sox fleeing elsewhere. Taking heads on radio are begging them to go. 

5 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

And I’ll add that the media here in Chicago, especially the sports media, for the most part, are thrilled at the prospect of the sox fleeing elsewhere. Taking heads on radio are begging them to go. 

They aren’t going anywhere. And one thing  about the renderings. As detailed as it is, you really can’t make out any suites. Was that on purpose. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

They aren’t going anywhere. And one thing  about the renderings. As detailed as it is, you really can’t make out any suites. Was that on purpose. 

With the Bears losing their land assessment appeal don’t be surprised if they (the bears) take over the 78 development plan tossing the Sox back to square one. 

45 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

With the Bears losing their land assessment appeal don’t be surprised if they (the bears) take over the 78 development plan tossing the Sox back to square one. 

It’s nowhere near big enough for what the Bears want to do 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

Stop with this nonsense. They aren't leaving. MLB would force a sale to someone local long before it got to that point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

From the interior view, you can see suites behind the 100 level seats and below the upper level. 

Screenshot_20240219_114127.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It’s nowhere near big enough for what the Bears want to do 

This is an obviously troll that is going to sit here and promote them moving while the Oakland A's can't find a home.

The MLB isn't adding a adding a revenue sharing team nor is any city filling a stadium as often as Chicago would long term.  

$500M of the $1B is already accounted for via TIF funding.  The other $500M is probably need to remediate and prepare the site for construction.

The difficulty in looking at this project and bifurcating a $100M from this is nto that difficult.

The idiots on the SCORE this morning were droning on about this like a couple of morons,

This project instantly adds a new neighborhood to the south loop and then expands Bridgeport.  I still think the GR site is the new Soldier Field with current Soldier Field being reinvented.  

34 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah my understanding was this would be a snug fit for a small MLB park, and not enough room for 2X-3X for football. 

The Bears and NFL are building a stadium to host Superbowls and Final Fours.  That area is not it. 

You think parking will be bad for baseball how's football going to work.

Also 81 dates v 8/9.  The NFLl is not building up neighborhoods, there are not enough dates.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is an obviously troll that is going to sit here and promote them moving while the Oakland A's can't find a home.

The MLB isn't adding a adding a revenue sharing team nor is any city filling a stadium as often as Chicago would long term.  

$500M of the $1B is already accounted for via TIF funding.  The other $500M is probably need to remediate and prepare the site for construction.

The difficulty in looking at this project and bifurcating a $100M from this is nto that difficult.

The idiots on the SCORE this morning were droning on about this like a couple of morons,

This project instantly adds a new neighborhood to the south loop and then expands Bridgeport.  I still think the GR site is the new Soldier Field with current Soldier Field being reinvented.  

The TIF and the ballpark funding are not related. That $500m is already spoken for for the infrastructure improvements needed for the larger 78 development, IE: building the Red Line stop and moving the Metra tracks. 

Edited by soxfan18
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, soxfan18 said:

The TIF and the ballpark funding are not related. That $500m is already spoken for for the infrastructure improvements needed for the larger 78 development, IE: building the Red Line stop and moving the Metra tracks. 

WGN's report said the $500M TIF was included as part of the $1B.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

The MLB isn't adding a adding a revenue sharing team

I agree with this statement if you are discussing allowing a relocation. I don’t agree with this statement if this includes expansion candidates.

Oakland is already a recipient, so no change if Vegas works out.  But outside of possibly Montreal, all other discussed expansion markets would slot in the bottom third of MLB locations in terms of population size, and most certainly be candidates for revenue sharing.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-expansion-cities-nashville-charlotte-and-other-candidates/c9bd7d4409a05ce2cb6bab46

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area

Edited by South Side Hit Men