Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

44 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, the only way I can be done with this team is if they are gone. If they ever move (they won't anytime soon) and completely change the identity to a new team name, colors, etc. Just would not be the same.

Edited by Lightly Folded
Hit quote by mistake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

So it’s official? They’re gone? Moving to Nashville? Did the owners approve? 

Seriously.  You'd think so judging by the reaction.  Maybe these thoughts will bring some fans back off the ledge:

• The Governor said he needs to be convinced it's good for the state and hasn't seen that yet.  He did not say anything to the effect of "no way, absolutely not in a million years regardless of the terms, we won't give a dime toward this project"
  • MLB wants to put an expansion team in Nashville and reap an exorbitant expansion fee.  I doubt the other owners would be keen on letting the Sox leave a perfectly serviceable stadium and the #3 TV market and take the Nashville market off the boards.
  • The only 2 teams who have moved since 1972 played for years in a decrepit stadium and tried for years to get a new park in their current town.  And the A's move to Vegas is hitting major roadblocks and isn't quite the done deal it appeared to be a few months ago.
  • Until someone builds something on The 78, it's still available for a potential ballpark in the coming years even if nothing gets passed this year.  A deal could be made in future years and maybe with a new owner.
  • I have not seen JR say anywhere that his current funding proposal is his last and final offer before he brings in the moving trucks.

All Pritzker's comments tell me is that he's not going to cave to JR's first proposal and give him everything he wants.  He'd be a fool to say anything otherwise.

Edited by 77 Hitmen
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

Seriously.  You'd think so judging by the reaction.  Maybe these thoughts will bring some fans back off the ledge:

• The Governor said he needs to be convinced it's good for the state and hasn't seen that yet.  He did not say anything to the effect of "no way, absolutely not in a million years regardless of the terms, we won't give a dime toward this project"
  • MLB wants to put an expansion team in Nashville and reap an exorbitant expansion fee.  I doubt the other owners would be keen on letting the Sox leave a perfectly serviceable stadium and the #3 TV market and take the Nashville market off the boards.
  • The only 2 teams who have moved since 1972 played for years in a decrepit stadium and tried for years to get a new park in their current town.  And the A's move to Vegas is hitting major roadblocks and isn't quite the done deal it appeared to be a few months ago.
  • Until someone builds something on The 78, it's still available for a potential ballpark in the coming years even if nothing gets passed this year.  A deal could be made in future years and maybe with a new owner.
  • I have not seen JR say anywhere that their current funding proposal is their last and final offer before he brings in the moving trucks.

All Pritzker's comments tell me is that he's not going to cave to JR's first proposal and give him everything.  He'd be a fool to say anything otherwise.

Being fully honest here?  If Jerry decided to leave Chicago for Nashville the owners would 100% wave him down there.  You know why?  If someone is going to spend billions for a MLB franchise, you are damned right they would be thrilled to be the 2nd team in Chicago.  My guess is they would Cleveland Browns the Sox and force them to leave the name and history behind for a "new" franchise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Being fully honest here?  If Jerry decided to leave Chicago for Nashville the owners would 100% wave him down there.  You know why?  If someone is going to spend billions for a MLB franchise, you are damned right they would be thrilled to be the 2nd team in Chicago.  My guess is they would Cleveland Browns the Sox and force them to leave the name and history behind for a "new" franchise.

A complete reset. Almost what this organization needs...almost.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I find it hard to think someone would pay what will probably by then be a 3 billion dollar new franchise fee to install a new team at guaranteed rate field. 

1 hour ago, Lightly Folded said:

Why would a new owner spend billions to buy the Sox and then spend more billions to build a new park when other cities would build them one? 

Because MLB isn't going to give up the billions they'd charge a city/new ownership for an expansion franchise as opposed to transferring a current team and not getting a dime out of it. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, 77 Hitmen said:

• I have not seen JR say anywhere that his current funding proposal is his last and final offer before he brings in the moving trucks.

All Pritzker's comments tell me is that he's not going to cave to JR's first proposal and give him everything he wants.  He'd be a fool to say anything otherwise.

Well thought out post.

8 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

I find it hard to think someone would pay what will probably by then be a 3 billion dollar new franchise fee to install a new team at guaranteed rate field. 

a third (or more) of the Chicago market is going to be much more lucrative than most of the other places under discussion. Even more so if they were to come in and get the stadium and set up they wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

And what “new” franchise would that be? 

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!
Put who instead of what

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Because MLB isn't going to give up the billions they'd charge a city/new ownership for an expansion franchise as opposed to transferring a current team and not getting a dime out of it. 

Again, if the Sox leave Chicago, Chicago shoots to #1 on the possible expansion location list.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Those cities that want an expansion team but don’t get an expansion team because they’re passed over in favor of two other cities (mlb only wants two expansion teams) leaves those other cities the opportunity to lure a team like the white sox with a brand new stadium. 

Expansion is several plus minimum years away, despite prior year comments by Manfred they would seek it relatively quickly after they “fixed” the Oakland and Tampa situations (they also “fixed” Milwaukee and Baltimore this off-season).

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2024/02/21/21034/mlb-expansion-not-imminent-may-depend-on-who-coughs-up-biggest-stadium-subsidies/

Per Jeff Passan’s owner sources quoted in the link above:

Expansion, those sources said, is not imminent — and in fact is unlikely to happen until the early 2030s. Creating a franchise out of nothing takes time, and expansion isn’t MLB’s immediate priority, either — not amid the fallout from the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports Group, the company that owned local television rights to 14 teams, the unsettled status of the Rays’ attempt to build a new stadium and the Oakland A’s attempt to abscond to Las Vegas. Not to mention the new collective bargaining agreement to be negotiated after the current one expires in 2026, too.

“It hasn’t been much of a topic of conversation,” one owner, who was granted anonymity to speak freely, told ESPN. “Everybody knows what’s going to happen eventually, but it’s so far off that people just haven’t focused on it.”

The much publicized 78 rendering of a high rise office development with a baseball stadium (using the White Sox name/logo) may have and possibly should have required White Sox authority  prior to using it for purposes of exploring government/private financial assistance.... for Related to develop the entire 78 site.  Meanwhile that rendering has been a distraction for the WSox ownership and the  WSox fan base.  Never forget, the idea was initiated by Related so that they could (finally) obtain enormous public/private funds for infrastructure improvements to enable construction of multiple high rise buildings. This is a semi-clever attempt at grift by Related.  Governor Pritzker, among others, is not buying it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Expansion is several plus minimum years away, despite prior year comments by Manfred they would seek it relatively quickly after they “fixed” the Oakland and Tampa situations (they also “fixed” Milwaukee and Baltimore this off-season).

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2024/02/21/21034/mlb-expansion-not-imminent-may-depend-on-who-coughs-up-biggest-stadium-subsidies/

Per Jeff Passan’s owner sources quoted in the link above:

Neil demise and his unnamed sources and made up schemes for his Field of Schemes fabricated scenes.

52 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

MLB has been talking about expansion very recently.  That is "who".

I am ticked off. I worked on a long reply that somehow didn’t post. In a nutshell, no team would come in, and the amount of Sox fans who want them to move because they hate the owner pisses me off to no end. 

Also, how long before the Chicago Capones or whatever tick off the fans with dumb owner statements and losing baseball? It would not take long for some to go back to being angry and miserable and some to go back to trolling and enjoying every bad thing that happens to the Capones. 

2 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

Bull. 

In a metro area of 10 million people, even a third of that market place is MUCH bigger than most of the expansion areas being talked about.

Nashville metro is about 2 million.  Salt Lake City is 1.2 million.  Portland is 2.5 million.  Charlotte is 2.7 million. 

If you were to rank 1/3 of Chicago as it's own market, there is no bigger metro area in the US which doesn't already have a MLB team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a metro area of 10 million people, even a third of that market place is MUCH bigger than most of the expansion areas being talked about.

Nashville metro is about 2 million.  Salt Lake City is 1.2 million.  Portland is 2.5 million.  Charlotte is 2.7 million. 

If you were to rank 1/3 of Chicago as it's own market, there is no bigger metro area in the US which doesn't already have a MLB team.

The owner of the Chicago Capones would have to cough up an expansion fee AND a territorial rights fee to the Cubs. 

Speaking of which, the Cubs have veto power over any new team that would want to come into Chicago. Will they approve the Capones coming in and giving them competition? 

Also, MLB has been restructured to the point where the AL and NL no longer exist in their old form. There would be no need for a second team in Chicago to play in a park that can’t draw, is considered one of the worst in the majors AND is one that many Sox fans bitched, moaned, whined and complained about-everything from the height of the upper deck to the fact that it isn’t “retro” or yearning for old Comiskey Park or a better ballpark-until it was announced that the Sox wanted a new home. Now, suddenly, nothing is wrong with the park and any old team will be happy to take over it. Or, they can build their own park that every fan wants them to pay for, being against a billionaire getting government money, some for the first time in their lives probably, which would add to all the money they’d have to pay before they even play a single game. 

The idea of an expansion team is a fantasy, and the amount of Sox fans who want this to happen astounds me. It also happened in 1988, when a group of nuts fought to save the park at the expense of the team-again, because they hated the owners-because they were under the delusion that the AL would immediately put an expansion team in old Comiskey; the same governing body that told them they needed a new park or needed to move. 

Edited by NO!!MARY!!!

10 minutes ago, NO!!MARY!!! said:

The owner of the Chicago Capones would have to cough up an expansion fee AND a territorial rights fee to the Cubs. 

Speaking of which, the Cubs have veto power over any new team that would want to come into Chicago. Will they approve the Capones coming in and giving them competition? 

Also, MLB has been restructured to the point where the AL and NL no longer exist in their old form. There would be no need for a second team in Chicago to play in a park that can’t draw, is considered one of the worst in the majors AND is one that many Sox fans bitched, moaned, whined and complained about-everything from the height of the upper deck to the fact that it isn’t “retro” or yearning for old Comiskey Park or a better ballpark-until it was announced that the Sox wanted a new home. Now, suddenly, nothing is wrong with the park and any old team will be happy to take over it. Or, they can build their own park that every fan wants them to pay for, being against a billionaire getting government money, some for the first time in their lives probably, which would add to all the money they’d have to pay before they even play a single game. 

The idea of an expansion team is a fantasy, and the amount of Sox fans who want this to happen astounds me. It also happened in 1988, when a group of nuts fought to save the park at the expense of the team-again, because they hated the owners-because they were under the delusion that the AL would immediately put an expansion team in old Comiskey; the same governing body that told them they needed a new park or needed to move. 

Holy overreacting Batman! 

1 hour ago, tray said:

The much publicized 78 rendering of a high rise office development with a baseball stadium (using the White Sox name/logo) may have and possibly should have required White Sox authority  prior to using it for purposes of exploring government/private financial assistance.... for Related to develop the entire 78 site.  Meanwhile that rendering has been a distraction for the WSox ownership and the  WSox fan base.  Never forget, the idea was initiated by Related so that they could (finally) obtain enormous public/private funds for infrastructure improvements to enable construction of multiple high rise buildings. This is a semi-clever attempt at grift by Related.  Governor Pritzker, among others, is not buying it.

It’s wild how more insane these posts are actually getting day by day.

• Love 1

"And unless a case is made that the investment yields a long-term return for the taxpayers that we can justify in some way, I haven’t seen that yet."

Is he suggesting they should also propose opening a migrant camp on the 78? 🤣

of the $50B in his budget I wonder how much of that actually "yields a long-term return for the taxpayers"