Sox select John Schriffen to be TV PbP announcer

fathom

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I don't know why putting the Sox job first is seen as such a negative.

It’s not, but why would Brooks and JR not want their PBP broadcaster to get national exposure and fame, other than his price increasing?  They have been filling in for Stone for years.  I don’t think he even ever flies to the west coast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I don't know why putting the Sox job first is seen as such a negative.

It doesn't have to be, but the owner is controlling and petty. Plenty of broadcasters work for multiple outlets, yet they just pushed out one of the best in the game because they grew tired of accommodating his aspirations. And look to be taking shots at him in the aftermath. It's disingenuous IMO.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s not, but why would Brooks and JR not want their PBP broadcaster to get national exposure and fame, other than his price increasing?  They have been filling in for Stone for years.  I don’t think he even ever flies to the west coast.

Because he is then not the broadcaster, he is a weekday fill in. 

I think the truth is in the middle someone with this. 

Stone has paid his dues and is in his waning years.  When Benetti was hired I'm sure they were not looking to find a replacement almost every weekend so early into his tenure.

Is there a number of actual games he worked last year?

If they really liked McKnight, I think they would have tolerated paying Benetti less and work McKnight it more but I think Benetti balked at being paid less.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

"Schriffen, who is biracial, becomes the second Black television play-by-play announcer (currently) in MLB, joining Seattle’s Dave Sims."

source:  wikipedia

I know he's radio but we have DJ as well. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

"Schriffen, who is biracial, becomes the second Black television play-by-play announcer (currently) in MLB, joining Seattle’s Dave Sims."

source:  wikipedia

Doesn't matter to me. Just hope he can do the job, He's in a tough situation.

58 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I know he's radio but we have DJ as well. 

And previously Chris Singleton, until he left for ESPN before the 2008 season.

Stone slotted in radio after being out of full time work since leaving the Cubs in 2004, and then moved into the elongated TV booth with Hawk, sitting as far apart as possible.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And previously Chris Singleton, until he left for ESPN before the 2008 season.

Stone slotted in radio after being out of full time work since leaving the Cubs in 2004, and then moved into the elongated TV booth with Hawk, sitting as far apart as possible.

Rod Allen with Detroit before the booth brawl with Mario Impemba.

• Haha 1

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2020/7/1/21309644/black-play-by-play-announcers-minor-league-baseball

In 2001, Greg Gumbel became the first Black play-by-play announcer to call a Super Bowl on network TV. “I think you’ll start seeing more African American talent coming through the pipeline,” CBS Sports president Sean McManus told The Chicago Tribune. Gumbel is still the only Black play-by-play announcer to call a Super Bowl on American TV—and he last called one 16 years ago.

In 2007, Dave Sims of the Seattle Mariners became just the third Black play-by-play announcer hired full time by a team in the history of Major League Baseball, the New York Daily News’ Ebenezer Samuel noted. A June investigation by writer David Jones found that none of the 130 college football teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision had a Black radio play-by-play announcer.

Play-by-play announcer James Verrett, who is Black, pointed out that Black announcers work a lot as analysts. But getting the play-by-play job—the network’s version of the voice of God—“is something that is a wall,” said Verrett. “It’s sort of like the Black quarterback situation.”

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry can't figure out how to embed but this twitter post seemed pretty focused.  Not sure if Stone's carrying water here.  This is a Twitter post  over the weekend.

Nine years ago I told you that I was pretty sure you’d like my new partner Jason Benetti. Fast forward to 2024 and I’m sure you’re going to love my new partner John Schriffen. John is smart and enthusiastic. He loves the game as I do and he’ll bring a new perspective to our booth

Am I overreaching like v love?

Edited by Harry Chappas

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Sorry can't figure out how to embed but this twitter post seemed pretty focused.  Not sure if Stone's carrying water here.  This is a Twitter post  over the weekend.

Nine years ago I told you that I was pretty sure you’d like my new partner Jason Benetti. Fast forward to 2024 and I’m sure you’re going to love my new partner John Schriffen. John is smart and enthusiastic. He loves the game as I do and he’ll bring a new perspective to our booth

Like vs love jumped out at me. Curious wording. Could be nothing, could be a veiled dig. Taken on its face it seems like a harmless tweet, but we know how much of a prick Stone is on social media. Hard not to read deeper into it. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That’s a lot of expectation to put on him.

Maybe Stone simply feels he can be more relaxed with someone less deferential and more in tune with the game…rather than a performer and more the feeling Benetti was recently attempting to be just as much of an attraction as the game itself, compensating for the poor product on the field.

Meaning he was getting a bit too big for his britches.

Stone is saying Schiffren is more like him…not an outsider and non athlete who will never quite be fully accepted and respected by the players, coaches, front office and ownership…as well as the likes of blue-blood Boyer.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

I've liked him so far, but if anyone thinks he's not going to be cheesy, his "SOUTHSIDE STAND-UP" call after Quero's spring training walkoff had me cracking up.

Once he gets comfortable, dude is going to slide into his basketball/slamball persona.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Like vs love jumped out at me. Curious wording. Could be nothing, could be a veiled dig. Taken on its face it seems like a harmless tweet, but we know how much of a prick Stone is on social media. Hard not to read deeper into it. 

Stone compared them directly in that text.  It was not a retweeted and I read it to be intentional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quin said:

I've liked him so far, but if anyone thinks he's not going to be cheesy, his "SOUTHSIDE STAND-UP" call after Quero's spring training walkoff had me cracking up.

Once he gets comfortable, dude is going to slide into his basketball/slamball persona.

I've only listened to one Sox broadcast this spring but I think if nobody told me, I wouldn't be able to tell that they replaced Benetti. These guys have the exact same voice and they talk about the same goofy stuff...I am suuuch a foodie! it's like the shtick of every millennial play-by-play announcer to play the part of awkward nerd. 

I'm sure he'll be great

• Like 1

Just now, nrockway said:

I've only listened to one Sox broadcast this spring but I think if nobody told me, I wouldn't be able to tell that they replaced Benetti. These guys have the exact same voice and they talk about the same goofy stuff...I am suuuch a foodie! it's like the shtick of every millennial play-by-play announcer to play the part of awkward nerd. 

I'm sure he'll be great

They’re not alike in terms of what they discuss.  I haven’t heard Homewood Flossmoor brought up once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They’re not alike in terms of what they discuss.  I haven’t heard Homewood Flossmoor brought up once.

the only thing that stuck out to me about the game I watched them broadcast was how many times Stone said "wonderful", Schriffen codifying into SoxLaw his SoxMath replacement, Get2KnowUrSox, and him talking about what a foodie and "dog dad" he is. I don't know if he said "dog dad" but he sounds like the sort of guy who might call a dog a "fur baby". Definite Benetti vibes. I think he could've been a bit more ebullient when Colas beat out that infield hit too but that's just splitting hairs.