PUIG

2Deep

I would enjoy him on the team. He brings excitement and flair. Many of his problems were that he was a loud Hispanic in a clubhouse that wanted only quiet. I'm a huge Dodger fan (my NL team since I moved out there for a bit) and I will say Kershaw and Greinke created a divide that made him to be the enemy. That, unfortunately, followed him everywhere he went so he didn't get a legit shot afterwards. With the Braves, he got hurt and that was that. 

I feel for him because he was maybe a year or two early. You see guys like Marcus Stroman or Tim Anderson who helped change people's minds that it's okay to be loud. 

Puig's fault is not reading the room to be honest. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Pius is going to be 33 this year and hasn’t been in the majors or minors since 2019. There is nothing here that would make me think he would be a good addition.

Teams could probably get him for like, $1M now if he really wanted to play in the MLB. No team would trade for him in July, if he was even playing well enough to be traded.

Zero upside for this team.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Didn't Garfein do a podcast on this?  Ozzie Jr. was on to discuss it because Ozzie is Puig's manager right now in whatever Venezuelan league he's in. He's supposedly matured, and is crushing it in that league.  Or he was at the time of the podcast.  Count me in as interested in giving it a shot.  Minor league deal with an invite to ST.  It likely wouldn't cost them much, and if it doesn't pan out, just cut him.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I would enjoy him on the team. He brings excitement and flair. Many of his problems were that he was a loud Hispanic in a clubhouse that wanted only quiet. I'm a huge Dodger fan (my NL team since I moved out there for a bit) and I will say Kershaw and Greinke created a divide that made him to be the enemy. That, unfortunately, followed him everywhere he went so he didn't get a legit shot afterwards. With the Braves, he got hurt and that was that. 

I feel for him because he was maybe a year or two early. You see guys like Marcus Stroman or Tim Anderson who helped change people's minds that it's okay to be loud. 

Puig's fault is not reading the room to be honest. 

Yes, poor Puig.  Stroman and Anderson are definitely guys that Puig and other players should have modeled themselves after.  🤣

One guy likes to accuse people of being racist and the other is in the news more these days because of his side piece action rather than his baseball performance.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

I thought Puig was banned for life from the sport but I guess he hasn't actually pled guilty to anything yet. I'm reading about his case and found this quote from his agent very amusing:

“He came to the interview feeling rushed, unprepared, without criminal counsel with him, and also lacked his own interpreter,” Carnet told The Associated Press. “Given his history growing up in authoritarian Cuba, government interviews are triggering and only worsen his ADHD symptoms and other mental health struggles, for which he is in treatment. He would have benefited from this care at the time of the interview.” 

like, wut?

5 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Pius is going to be 33 this year and hasn’t been in the majors or minors since 2019. There is nothing here that would make me think he would be a good addition.

And other washed up old dudes would be according to many...

Gallo

Duvall 

Etc...

5 hours ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Didn't Garfein do a podcast on this?  Ozzie Jr. was on to discuss it because Ozzie is Puig's manager right now in whatever Venezuelan league he's in. He's supposedly matured, and is crushing it in that league.  Or he was at the time of the podcast.  Count me in as interested in giving it a shot.  Minor league deal with an invite to ST.  It likely wouldn't cost them much, and if it doesn't pan out, just cut him.  

How often to players come back at 33 after being out of the league for 4 years? It ain't happening. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:09 PM, 2Deep said:

And other washed up old dudes would be according to many...

Gallo

Duvall 

Etc...

Duvall is plus defensive OF averaging 1.83 fWAR the past three seasons and coming off a 116 wRC+.  He'd be our best RF since 2016 Adam Eaton. Sexy name? No.  But would be very useful, and theoretically a perfect platoon partner for Colas (and Beni), if Colas ever works his way out of Pedro's doghouse. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Duvall is plus defensive OF averaging 1.83 fWAR the past three seasons and coming off a 116 wRC+.  He'd be our best RF since 2016 Adam Eaton. Sexy name? No.  But would be very useful, and theoretically a perfect platoon partner for Colas (and Beni), if Colas ever works his way out of Pedro's doghouse. 

Only thing I’d worry about is Duval’s wrist. He’s broken it twice over the last few seasons. At his age, he may not be very durable or be able to get through the whole season.