Sox Mount Rushmore of (Recent) Failure

Texsox

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Leury Lynn Kopech Keuchel Grifol Montoyo Benintendi Kelly

Leury played to his ability. I don't think a player was more set up to fail with fans and on the field than the legend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Leury played to his ability. I don't think a player was more set up to fail with fans and on the field than the legend. 

And that's a reason to have him on there. He was not only overpaid, but the manager went so far as to bat him 3rd in the middle of a losing streak because the manager thought he looked good in the batting cages. That's a way to put the manager on the mountain.

• TLR 1

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And that's a reason to have him on there. He was not only overpaid, but the manager went so far as to bat him 3rd in the middle of a losing streak because the manager thought he looked good in the batting cages. That's a way to put the manager on the mountain.

He put him 3rd in the order in response to Hahn telling him not to play him so much.

4 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think it would be easier to do a Mount Rushmore of players/coaches that have actually worked out. Too many to choose from in the failure category 

Abreu, Cease, Gio, and — about to make people big mad — TA. The judgment period is from 2020 to 2023, and until Hanser Alberto's horrendous fielding led to TA's knee getting punched, TA playing correlated with wins (thank you @South Side Hit Men for that data), he was an 2x All-Star (and starter) + the peak moment of this all is the Field of Dreams game.

Can also sub TA for Hendriks and I wouldn't be mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

58 minutes ago, Quin said:

Abreu, Cease, Gio, and — about to make people big mad — TA. The judgment period is from 2020 to 2023, and until Hanser Alberto's horrendous fielding led to TA's knee getting punched, TA playing correlated with wins (thank you @South Side Hit Men for that data), he was an 2x All-Star (and starter) + the peak moment of this all is the Field of Dreams game.

Can also sub TA for Hendriks and I wouldn't be mad.

Thank You. Yes, TA was horrible last year, there is no argument. But putting him on a greatest failure list is pretty ridiculous. If anything he is one of the Sox greatest success stories of this era. His fall from grace was as ugly as possible, but that should not outshine the peaks of his success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

If there was a way to somehow represent the failed Friends & Family Plan attempt at Machado, that would be my etrant. I guess either one of Jon Jay, Yonder Alonso, or Machado works as well. 

Yeah this was the prequel to the failed rebuild.  "The money will be spent" Yadda Yadda Yadda. 

JR is supposed to be an amazing businessman no? If so, then he know all along that no player was going to turn down 50 million in guaranteed $$ to play one season with his BFF and brother in law. 

Does the reason/ title of this topic come from last week's Soxtalk podcast.?  If not, it should. 

The topic of that podcast was something like" Yoan Mocada: It's now or never". 

Anyway, Ryan McGuffy had one of my favorite quotes EVER concerning the Sox and their recent failures: 

"Yoan Moncada is the Abe Lincoln on the Mount Rushmore of White Sox busts."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Does the reason/ title of this topic come from last week's Soxtalk podcast.?  If not, it should. 

The topic of that podcast was something like" Yoan Mocada: It's now or never". 

Anyway, Ryan McGuffy had one of my favorite quotes EVER concerning the Sox and their recent failures: 

"Yoan Moncada is the Abe Lincoln on the Mount Rushmore of White Sox busts."

I get Moncada being a disappointment. But I think McGuffy is taking it a bit far. He's put up over 14 WAR in 727 games as a Pale House. Its over 3.0 fWAR per 162,  That's not even close to one of the biggest busts in team history. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I get Moncada being a disappointment. But I think McGuffy is taking it a bit far. He's put up over 14 WAR in 727 games as a Pale House. Its over 3.0 fWAR per 162,  That's not even close to one of the biggest busts in team history. 

So glad I don’t hand a penny over for any of these hacks televised on JerryVision. They are all buffoons except for The Big Hurt.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Man, if I'm picking anyone from the current crop, it's Eloy.

But even then, McGuffey is clearly forgetting how HORRID it was for a while. Doesn't he technically work with Gordon Beckham?

• Thanks 1