Lorenzen signs w/Rangers 1/$4.5 million

WestEddy

This one could make the Fedde signing look bad by the end of the season.

Waiting to hear the argument that Lorenzen wanted to pitch for a contender…

Fine, but Getz still gave Fedde 2-years and $15 million ($10.5 million more in guaranteed money than this signing) and he has had much less major league success than Lorenzen.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

From a $100-140 million Boras Corp. client all the way down to just $4.5 million...

According to a report on Wednesday night from Ken Rosenthal at The Athletic. The deal, which is pending a physical, includes $2.5 million in incentives and maxes out at $7 million.

World Series winner in a newish stadium (drawing huge crowds) compared to the White Sox...?  Not much of a choice there, really.

Edited by caulfield12

42 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

This one could make the Fedde signing look bad by the end of the season.

Waiting to hear the argument that Lorenzen wanted to pitch for a contender…

Fine, but Getz still gave Fedde 2-years and $15 million ($10.5 million more in guaranteed money than this signing) and he has had much less major league success than Lorenzen.

I think the key was to sign early.

47 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So Nastrini all but locked up a spot in the OD rotation?  Once we traded Cease and Kopech to the bullpen, signing Lorenzen seemed like the one last wild card that could possibly prevent that from happening (don’t see us signing Clevinger).

The prior excuses for Getz failures player development were pegged by many on Hahn and Tony rushing unprepared players due to lack of ML depth.

• DH/1B Vaughn and Sheets slotted in corner OF roles and zero to minimal minor league development.
  • Kopech / Crochet pulled from their acquired roles as Starters to fulfill La Russa bullpen fetish.

These excuses ring hollow with these types of decisions, assuming Getz is the “One Baseball Decision Maker” in 2024.

Have to believe most teams facing a similar situation with the current organizational roster would begin both Crochet (no professional starts, one 3 1/3 Tennessee Vol start in 2020) and Nastrini (19 1/3 AAA innings, 4 AAA starts) in AAA to start the season, and have sufficient starters who can give 3-5 innings as placeholders.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I think the key was to sign early.

Or the key was for wise GMs to wait for the free agent prices to crash.  Why would Getz be in such a rush to sign anyone when the Sox are a non-contender but the champion Rangers were smart enough to wait it out?  It was not vital for Getz to rush to sign anyone.  We saw Hahn do this all the time in the past as well.  He rushed to sign the low to mid-level free agents that he wanted early, and better players ended up signing for less later on.  Getz did the same this offseason.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

On what planet was Lorenzen ever discussed as having a potential nine figure contract?

He was referring to Montgomery being expected to be resigned by the Rangers over going with the much cheaper option in Lorenzen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Or the key was for wise GMs to wait for the free agent prices to crash.  Why would Getz be in such a rush to sign anyone when the Sox are a non-contender but the champion Rangers were smart enough to wait it out?  It was not vital for Getz to rush to sign anyone.  We saw Hahn do this all the time in the past as well.  He rushed to sign the low to mid-level free agents that he wanted early, and better players ended up signing for less later on.  Getz did the same this offseason.

Of all the Sox things to be upset about, I’m surprised you’re this worked up over the Fedde signing because Michael Lorenzen signed with the defending champs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Of all the Sox things to be upset about, I’m surprised you’re this worked up over the Fedde signing because Michael Lorenzen signed with the defending champs.

Fedde, Lopez, Maldonado, Pillar, DeJong.  $30 million of bad.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Who did Getz sign that would have precluded them signing Lorenzen? Supposedly, they checked in on him last week. He was either still too expensive, or wanted to go to a contender. And, are you actually suggesting Getz should have just waited until the very last week of spring training to start building a team? I really don't think "smart GM's" were anticipating how this market was going to shake out.

I could see you being angry that the Sox didn't pick Lorenzen up at this price. They signed Fedde on the 13th, and Flexen on the 30th of December. Neither of those felt like, "jumping the gun", and seeing what's left on the market, were prudent to get any bodies they wanted to work with.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Fedde, Lopez, Maldonado.  $25 million of bad.

Lopez and Maldonado obviously bad, but not exactly unexpected considering the way they were talking at the beginning of the offseason.

Fedde is low risk potentially high-ish reward and I don’t see how this Lorenzen signing changes that.

Should they have signed BOTH Fedde and Lorenzen? Probably! But speculating why they didn’t just feels like a waste of energy to me at this point 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Fedde, Lopez, Maldonado, Pillar, DeJong.  $30 million of bad.

This is silly. The only signing out of that group I question is Maldonado. Fedde will be a solid contributor as a discount. If Nicky Two-Eighty can put up 1.5 WAR at 2B, that's a major win. Pillar and DeJong are solid placeholders. None of them broke the bank, nor precluded the Sox from taking on Lorenzen. 

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Who did Getz sign that would have precluded them signing Lorenzen? Supposedly, they checked in on him last week. He was either still too expensive, or wanted to go to a contender. And, are you actually suggesting Getz should have just waited until the very last week of spring training to start building a team? I really don't think "smart GM's" were anticipating how this market was going to shake out.

I could see you being angry that the Sox didn't pick Lorenzen up at this price. They signed Fedde on the 13th, and Flexen on the 30th of December. Neither of those felt like, "jumping the gun", and seeing what's left on the market, were prudent to get any bodies they wanted to work with.

I’m not mad that they didn’t sign Lorenzen.  It’s just more about the awful strategy that Getz has carried over from Hahn in free agency.  Spreading out smaller increments of money to a bunch of mediocre veterans that will total a paltry WAR.  Burning $30 million combined for replacement level players, or worse, is yucky to watch.

• Like 1

Let's start here: Smart GM's don't have TV deals go south and blow up their entire payroll budgets. 

2 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This is silly. The only signing out of that group I question is Maldonado. Fedde will be a solid contributor as a discount. If Nicky Two-Eighty can put up 1.5 WAR at 2B, that's a major win. Pillar and DeJong are solid placeholders. None of them broke the bank, nor precluded the Sox from taking on Lorenzen. 

I’m not buying on Fedde.  Pillar and DeJong aren’t solid at all but they are placeholders I guess.