Is DeJong key to season

greg775

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Didn't mean to offend, just thought I'd start a thread that was moderately positive, wondering if this guy actually had a great year the Sox might be a tad bit better than I expect them to be which is 40-50 wins. I went with DeJong cause I don't think our catchers will surprise and the new RF candidates appear to reek. There has to be something positive about this wretched club. I wondered if it might be DeJong.

Really, you only expect the Sox to win between 40 to 50 games? Is this hyperbole? I am optimistic and hope and expect about 72 wins, but I know 60 wins (even a few less) is a possiblity. But you think only 45 wins, really?  What happened?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JoeC said:

“Paul DeJong sampled a Bong” sounds like the start of a Humpty Dumpty style poem

Paul DeJong sampled a bong.
Paul DeJong sampled all game long.
All Pedro's coaching and all Jerry spent,
couldn't make Paul DeJong FAST again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Counting on DeJong to be a part of your success is like signing Dallas Keuchel and expecting him to be successful.  

DeJong is making like double the minimum. If he’s a 1 WAR player, that’s probably a win. Dallas, on the other hand, got paid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Really, you only expect the Sox to win between 40 to 50 games? Is this hyperbole? I am optimistic and hope and expect about 72 wins, but I know 60 wins (even a few less) is a possiblity. But you think only 45 wins, really?  What happened?

The dour bunch says 40-50 wins, because zero wins is impossible. The modern record for worst record is the 1916 Philadelphia A's at 36-117. Nobody seems ready to commit to that. I feel that anybody who wants to "predict" 40-50 wins needs to explain why they'll do better than 36 wins. 

• Hawk 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Remember my prediction please and credit me when they win 49, 48, 47 games. My point was the Sox have a horrific 7, 8, 9 in the order. Our other guys are inconsistent at best hitters. Then the pitching. Our staff is not equipped for, uh, anything. Let's say a starter has a great night and goes six and we're leading 3-2. The bullpen blows so some nights the pen will implode. Other nights the closer in the pen will implode. Some nights the starter will get lit up. And finally some nights team just isn't going to hit. There always will be a segment that costs the Sox Ws.

This team is incapable of more than 50 wins IMO.

Edited by greg775
  • TLR 2

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Remember my prediction please and credit me when they win 49, 48, 47 games. My point was the Sox have a horrific 7, 8, 9 in the order. Our other guys are inconsistent at best hitters. Then the pitching. Our staff is not equipped for, uh, anything. Let's say a starter has a great night and goes six and we're leading 3-2. The bullpen blows so some nights the pen will implode. Other nights the closer in the pen will implode. Some nights the starter will get lit up. And finally some nights team just isn't going to hit. There always will be a segment that costs the Sox Ws.

This team is incapable of more than 50 wins IMO.

Okay, I will politely ask, on what planet do these guys "blow"? 

Bullpen:  CL Kopech; SU Brebbia; Leasure & Wilson; MR Banks; Hill; Swing: Garcia; Toussaint

John Brebbia's coming off a season of 1.174 WHIP, striking out 11 per 9 innings. 
Steven Wilson threw a 1.170 WHIP and had 9.7 k/9. 
Tanner Banks - 1.230 WHIP, strikes out less than a batter an inning, but his ratio is 3.19 k/bb. 
Tim Hill, as recently as 2022 threw a 1.229 WHIP. 
Kopech was great out of the bullpen in 2021. He can't seem to wrap his head around starting.
Jordan Leasure and Deivi Garcia have tremendous upside. 
Touki was solid last year as a swing man, and has calmed down from a couple bad first outings this spring.

I understand that you're angry at this team. That doesn't mean you get to mind-meld suckage upon them. I don't care if you think they will lose 145 games this season. I feel that your stated "110-120" losses is completely unsubstantiated. I just think it's weird that people will post laughing emojis on a prediction of 68 wins, but will look at somebody saying a not-bad bullpen "blows", and just treat it like a credible comment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Bullpen:  CL Kopech; SU Brebbia; Leasure & Wilson; MR Banks; Hill; Swing: Garcia; Toussaint

John Brebbia's coming off a season of 1.174 WHIP, striking out 11 per 9 innings. 
Tanner Banks - 1.230 WHIP, strikes out less than a batter an inning, but his ratio is 3.19 k/bb. 
Kopech was great out of the bullpen in 2021. He can't seem to wrap his head around starting.
Touki was solid last year as a swing man, and has calmed down from a couple bad first outings this spring.

I understand that you're angry at this team. That doesn't mean you get to mind-meld suckage upon them. I don't care if you think they will lose 145 games this season. I feel that your stated "110-120" losses is completely unsubstantiated. I just think it's weird that people will post laughing emojis on a prediction of 68 wins, but will look at somebody saying a not-bad bullpen "blows", and just treat it like a credible comment. 

Again wait and see. I fear the bullpen of the Sox. Again.

Just now, greg775 said:

Again wait and see. I fear the bullpen of the Sox. Again.

I get not liking the DeJong/Lopez/Fletcher/Maldonado moves. Those 4 positions are still weak on paper, tho I believe, improved from last year. The rotation does look shaky after Michael Soroka. Fedde and Flexen will be a roller coaster ride until they prove they aren't.

For all the complaining, the bullpen is one area where I think Getz has actually put together a solid unit. Three of those guys are coming off of good years, Tim Hill has thrown well in the past, and a recalibration might bring him back. Leasure and Garcia looked great in ST, and Touki is Touki. And if they choose to stick around, Knebel, Leone, Shaw, Barlow and Cousins all look to be various levels of solid as replacements. 

I agree that runs will be hard to come by. I don't think the bullpen will be a problem. Maybe Grifol's usage, thereof, but not the actual arms.  

33 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I do think that the bullpen has a shot at being a positive for the team but I don’t think the offense will score enough runs even with the bullpen doing its job.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I was always under the impression that Lopez and Dejong become a 2B platoon once Montgomery is up.

Oh, maybe. I was just saying that if DeJong is still the starting shortstop in September, Monty's progression would have hit a snag. 

31 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I do think that the bullpen has a shot at being a positive for the team but I don’t think the offense will score enough runs even with the bullpen doing its job.

Yes, I agree this team will be offensively challenged. I'm surprised how what looked like 11 possible starting pitchers quickly whittled themselves down to about 3.5. 

I still think they'd win about 68 games with this roster. However, if they end up trading Soroka, Eloy, and Brebbia, that number could crater. 

9 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I get not liking the DeJong/Lopez/Fletcher/Maldonado moves. Those 4 positions are still weak on paper, tho I believe, improved from last year. The rotation does look shaky after Michael Soroka. Fedde and Flexen will be a roller coaster ride until they prove they aren't.

For all the complaining, the bullpen is one area where I think Getz has actually put together a solid unit. Three of those guys are coming off of good years, Tim Hill has thrown well in the past, and a recalibration might bring him back. Leasure and Garcia looked great in ST, and Touki is Touki. And if they choose to stick around, Knebel, Leone, Shaw, Barlow and Cousins all look to be various levels of solid as replacements. 

I agree that runs will be hard to come by. I don't think the bullpen will be a problem. Maybe Grifol's usage, thereof, but not the actual arms.  

If the bullpen comes through as you say it could the Sox might be able to hang on and win some games in which the team scores 5 or more. If these starters can only go four innings, that's leaving a lot of innings to that pen. Our pen has been so bad since the start of the tank I don't even know what to think. Plus the Sox have no closer. If they happen to lead after eight, good luck in the pressure packed ninth.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:57 PM, WestEddy said:

Oh, maybe. I was just saying that if DeJong is still the starting shortstop in September, Monty's progression would have hit a snag. 

Or we are winning like crazy and don't want to rock the boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2024 at 1:16 PM, WestEddy said:

If the bullpen can't figure out how to actually subtract runs from the other team, it won't matter.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If the bullpen can't figure out how to actually subtract runs from the other team, it won't matter.

Of course it matters. If they can flip Soroka, Brebbia this year, that's worth some prospects. It's a rebuild year. 

I’m a huge Illinois State fan, so having him on the Sox is nice. I will probably try to get something game-used from him.  It is more hope that he turns it around.  I don’t expect this out of him, but I would love to see good defense, .240 average, and 15-20 HRs.

Edited by tjp1684
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1