26-man roster announced

Quin

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Get to know all of the FNGs

Seeing (cool) next to Chad Kuhl is funny in a vacuum.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What do you mean off the roster ? Permanently gone or  are we predicting injuries or sent down ?

Not on the 26-man.

4 hours ago, nrockway said:

Pillar. Maybe Shewmake. Probably Pillar, I thought he got DFA’d. 

They literally just signed Pillar to a $1M MLB deal a couple days ago. Almost zero chance he is the first to go. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That was just to further cut his salary down to more palatable JR size...

https://www.mlb.com/news/kevin-pillar-re-signs-with-white-sox-after-release

Pretty fucked up. Pillar seems very candidly pissed off in this interview.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

They literally just signed Pillar to a $1M MLB deal a couple days ago. Almost zero chance he is the first to go. 

I think Grossman takes his spot the moment he looks good in AAA. I think it's hilarious and sad they waived him just to re-sign him for $2mil less. These guys really hate Oscar Colas. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Obviously it’s a surgical procedure which is never good for a pitcher, but isn’t it almost somewhat beneficial for a team that wants to retain a Rule 5 pick when this happens?  Makes it easier to keep the Rule 5 pick?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This seems like the best case scenario for Drohan and the team. Maybe he misses the whole year and can be sent back to AAA. He seems like he has talent but shouldn't be on a major league roster yet. 

19 minutes ago, nrockway said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/kevin-pillar-re-signs-with-white-sox-after-release

Pretty fucked up. Pillar seems very candidly pissed off in this interview.

I think Grossman takes his spot the moment he looks good in AAA. I think it's hilarious and sad they waived him just to re-sign him for $2mil less. These guys really hate Oscar Colas. 

Maybe not.  @WestEddy made a good point that Grossman’s defense is Sheets-like in RF, but I guess that hasn’t stopped them from starting Sheets in RF.  However, they will still need Pillar to back up CF.  Ideally, Grossman tears it up at AAA and they can somehow fit both Pillar and Grossman on the roster.  It’s too bad no one else can back up 1B because Sheets is the guy who should be in AAA.  Grossman and Pillar are old and may be done but they have both hit lefties fairly well in their careers and it could make some sense if they are in LF and RF respectively against left-handed starters, with Robert in CF, Eloy at DH, and Benintendi on the bench.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2

Grossman is much much needed on this team/org because he walks like 15% of the time (league average is around 7.5%). The Sox needs more guys who see a lot of pitches and take their walks. Grossman is a welcome addition

7 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Obviously it’s a surgical procedure which is never good for a pitcher, but isn’t it almost somewhat beneficial for a team that wants to retain a Rule 5 pick when this happens?  Makes it easier to keep the Rule 5 pick?

He requires 90 days on the active roster in 24, otherwise he is subject to rule 5 requirements in 25.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nrockway said:

This seems like the best case scenario for Drohan and the team. Maybe he misses the whole year and can be sent back to AAA. He seems like he has talent but shouldn't be on a major league roster yet. 

He has to be on the active roster at some point. 60-day IL all year doesn’t do that. But yes, him going on the IL at least for the start makes it easier. Figure it out later when other injuries happen.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

54 minutes ago, Boopa1219 said:

Grossman is much much needed on this team/org because he walks like 15% of the time (league average is around 7.5%). The Sox needs more guys who see a lot of pitches and take their walks. Grossman is a welcome addition

Grossman is who I wanted in 2021 when they signed the shell of Adam Eaton 

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Maybe not.  @WestEddy made a good point that Grossman’s defense is Sheets-like in RF, but I guess that hasn’t stopped them from starting Sheets in RF.  However, they will still need Pillar to back up CF.  Ideally, Grossman tears it up at AAA and they can somehow fit both Pillar and Grossman on the roster.  It’s too bad no one else can back up 1B because Sheets is the guy who should be in AAA.  Grossman and Pillar are old and may be done but they have both hit lefties fairly well in their careers and it could make some sense if they are in LF and RF respectively against left-handed starters, with Robert in CF, Eloy at DH, and Benintendi on the bench.

Canaan Smith-Njigba is afoot again, today. Pirates cut him, and I think there's a finite number of times he can be outrighted, but this might be his first outrighting, I don't know. 

We'll see. He passed by the 8 worst teams (by last year's records) twice, already. 

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Canaan Smith-Njigba is afoot again, today. Pirates cut him, and I think there's a finite number of times he can be outrighted, but this might be his first outrighting, I don't know. 

We'll see. He passed by the 8 worst teams (by last year's records) twice, already. 

Let’s pick him the hell up please.  Sure, he may amount to nothing but what is the risk?  Beggars shouldn’t be choosy.

Couldn’t they just cut Jesse Scholtens (torn UCL) from the 40-man roster and claim Smith-Njigba?

Edited by WhiteSox2023

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Has to be great if Pittsburgh can't find room for him.